BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-08-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by nicole14e

I second Jenn, it has been very quiet here lately!

Had a wash of a weekend. Drove to Long Island (took about 6 hours) Saturday for my brother's 40th birthday party. I was going to run in the morning but had a killer blister on my heel/Achilles and could barely walk with something touching it. Was a bit hungover yesterday and again in the car for about 6 hours (I must really love my brother).

Went for a short 2 mile run this morning. Felt pretty crappy. I decided I'm not drinking for the rest of the month except for 2 special events I already planned on attending. I'm really going to focus on training and feeling good.

As much as I love the Olympics, I'm kind of excited for them to be over so I get some sleep again. Every night I can't stop watching. It's bad. They're just so incredible to watch, all of them.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and their training is going well!

Sorry you had a bummer of a weekend! But I agree with you about the olympics - they have been addicting! The oly tri is on this Thursday and this Saturday. I can't wait to watch.

As for it being quiet in here - part of that is my fault. Now that I'm back - I'll try to post regularly! I'll also reach out to some of the former members and try to pull them back in.

2016-08-15 9:06 PM
in reply to: #5195065

User image

, Vermont
I wish I could post pictures from my phone from Tremblant. It's lovely.
My sis in law and I arrived today. Tomorrow morning she wants to slowly ride a loop of the course, I will go with her. Then relax for the afternoon - supposed to rain after 2:00. Water temp is 72 right now but a good rain tomorrow night should cool it down a bit.
It's strange to see the forest of bike racks. They increased the start spots to 3,000 this year...lots of bikes...
2016-08-16 6:48 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I need some motivation. I'm feeling like a slug. Rainy here since Saturday, drab, gray, cloudy. Need to go for a run today to get back on my plan, but man do I not want to do it.
2016-08-16 7:06 AM
in reply to: #5195313

User image

, Vermont
Go Gretchen!!! Get out there! The hardest part is getting ready and walking out the door!! A few miles in you will be happy!!
2016-08-16 11:38 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Get out there, Gretchen! Think of how good you felt after all those workouts leading up to your race!
2016-08-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, everyone.  Sorry that I've been AWOL but first I was on vacation in Costa Rica and then my mom passed away suddenly.  Funeral was yesterday - I wrote and delivered the eulogy which was very comforting for me. Family is doing OK considering.

And I toasted her with a Goldfinger IPA from Iron Hill Brewery in Newark, DE, in true BDAS fashion.

Will be back on the grid once I get my act together - swam a little bit today and about drowned LOL.

Good luck this weekend, Jenn!

2016-08-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #5195337

User image

, Vermont
Hey Alan, what was your podcast name again? I'm trying to pull it up on a search.
2016-08-16 1:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, so sorry for your loss!! That's good you were able to honor her with a eulogy while getting some comfort from it. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
2016-08-16 1:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hey Alan, what was your podcast name again? I'm trying to pull it up on a search.

Clipped In: A Cycling Podcast

2016-08-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Ive been absent. I was up in northern quebec competing in a stage race. And I was camping without electricity so my access was limited. 

The race was brutal. I finished every stage but I ended up as the lantern rouge.  Here's an overview:

Stage 1: TT

Pulled off 19:00 over a rolling 13km TT which was a pretty respectable time for me. So I was happy with that.

Stage 2: 108km Road Race with 3 big climbing sections

Got dropped on the first KOM and couldn't reconnect. Rode 80km Solo trying to chase. Was exhausted when I finished. New best power numbers in the 60min and beyond.

Stage 3: 14km hill climb race (basically a short road race that is entirely uphill) The First climbing section was a 5minute climb at avg. 15%

I came dead last because I just rolled it easy. The Crit was in the afternoon and I wanted to save my legs (already way too far down in GC after stage 2 to worry about the overall)

Stage 4: Crit

The course was awesome but one of the big teams put the screws to everyone by riding hard on the front. My power profile for that race is basically Zone 1 and Zone 6. Nothing in between (huge accelerations out of corner, coast a little on the straight, corner, do it again). I spent 15 of the 30minutes I lasted in that race above 366 watts. 

Stage 5: Flat 8km Circuit race (14laps)

Felt awesome. Legs were good. Was at the front.Unfortunately part of the circuit features a 2km gravel/broken ashpalt section not on the tech guide. I flatted. Chased like a beast to get back on. Recovered. Went back to the front. First of three intermediate sprints for the green jersey I had bad position but still managed to sprint from 10 places back past the main team's leadout train to take third. So after that I was feeling good, I had a sense of who was leading out and who was sprinting so I was ready to hopefully win the next two by being better positioned. Another Flat. Chased again, this time the pack had picked up its pace getting ready for the next sprint and I couldn't catch so I rode solo for the rest of the race.

Stage 6: 99km Road race with huge climbs. 

Legs felt the best they have all week but I couldn't hold the wheel when attacks started on the climbs. Got dropped and rode with two other guys for awhile then flatted. By now the only thing left behind me on the course was the broom bus. I debated calling it a day and getting in but instead I asked one of the guys who had quit if I could use their wheel to finish. I rode the last 20km, caught the two guys I had been riding with and then beat them in a friendly sprint at the end. 

It was a really tough race and I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses (namely that I need to work on my climbing ability) but I finished the entire race so Im happy with that. 

2016-08-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5195419

User image

, Vermont
Mike,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, that is so hard. She was obviously close to you in that you were honored to be the one to give the eulogy. That should give you peace. She will always be with you. Hugs.

2016-08-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5195433

User image

, Vermont
Alan, I am exhausted just reading your report!!! I'm sorry you flatted so many times, it sounds like you were right in the mix in better than half of those races. Great positive outlook on what you've learned from it - you will only get stronger.

Thanks for the podcast name - I'm looking into now.
2016-08-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5195434

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike--so sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you and your family.
2016-08-16 3:18 PM
in reply to: #5195436

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Alan--that race sounds crazy. And, to do it all while camping without electricity is just crazier!
2016-08-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #5195437

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Finally managed to get my run in today after spending a few hours at work getting ready for the semester. It is mid 70s and cloudy/lightly raining here. It was a perfect afternoon for a run. I did a little over three miles with the pup. She is happy now and I feel pretty good. This is just the second run since my HIM. the first one was absolutely lousy. Tomorrow I'm going to ride for the first time.
2016-08-17 7:42 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning masters swim class here. Our coach is gone on vacation, so we are on our own coming up with workouts. Finished up with 2300m. We all laugh, because Clay, the coach, is a little talkative some days and he has been absolutely gushing over the Olympians of late. Sometimes, he can talk for 10-12 minutes during our announcements period. So, with him gone, we all get our swims in and get out way earlier than usual!

Hoping to take my bike out for a spin later today, if the rain holds off.

2016-08-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, everyone.  Sorry that I've been AWOL but first I was on vacation in Costa Rica and then my mom passed away suddenly.  Funeral was yesterday - I wrote and delivered the eulogy which was very comforting for me. Family is doing OK considering.

And I toasted her with a Goldfinger IPA from Iron Hill Brewery in Newark, DE, in true BDAS fashion.

Will be back on the grid once I get my act together - swam a little bit today and about drowned LOL.

Good luck this weekend, Jenn!

Mike - So sorry for your loss! I will be praying for you!!!
2016-08-17 11:01 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Alan - Nice job on the race! You continue to impress me with your go big or go home approach to biking! Sorry to hear about all those flats but Im glad you learned and had a good time - even if you didn't have electricity
2016-08-17 11:05 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Gretchen - Glad you are getting back into running after crushing your HIM and I'm shocked by the race directors letter to you. What a jerk. Not only was his lecturing abrasive - it's just not good business. dumba$$,

2016-08-17 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
I wanted to let you all know that I made the hard decision to withdraw from IMNC. The injury to my calf played a small part (I'm still not running more that 3 miles at a time) but the bigger thing was my mental approach to the preparation. As Jenn will tell you - there are times when training for an ironman isn't fun - but with my depression from my lack of a job - I was bummed before during and after my workouts. I took your alls good advice but I still knew how slow I was going and I was starting to worry about not finishing the race within 17 hours.

SO... I decided to drop out and focus on just having fun. I'm gonna try to find a sprint race and spend next year during nothing long than an olympic. Maybe that will get me back in the mood. For the last couple of weeks, I have seriously considered giving up on tri because I was hating it so much and I knew I really didn't want to do that. My wife tells me I'm just postponing my ironman and while I appreciate her support - I'm not sure sure. We shall see in time.

So onward. I took a week off and that did me right. I went for a run/walk yesterday and that felt ok and I'm hoping to go for a swim later today. On the good side - my shoulder is feeling better and that's a blessing.

I'm going to live vicariously though Jenn - you go Woman!

2016-08-17 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I wanted to let you all know that I made the hard decision to withdraw from IMNC. The injury to my calf played a small part (I'm still not running more that 3 miles at a time) but the bigger thing was my mental approach to the preparation. As Jenn will tell you - there are times when training for an ironman isn't fun - but with my depression from my lack of a job - I was bummed before during and after my workouts. I took your alls good advice but I still knew how slow I was going and I was starting to worry about not finishing the race within 17 hours. SO... I decided to drop out and focus on just having fun. I'm gonna try to find a sprint race and spend next year during nothing long than an olympic. Maybe that will get me back in the mood. For the last couple of weeks, I have seriously considered giving up on tri because I was hating it so much and I knew I really didn't want to do that. My wife tells me I'm just postponing my ironman and while I appreciate her support - I'm not sure sure. We shall see in time. So onward. I took a week off and that did me right. I went for a run/walk yesterday and that felt ok and I'm hoping to go for a swim later today. On the good side - my shoulder is feeling better and that's a blessing. I'm going to live vicariously though Jenn - you go Woman!

Dave, I think you 100% made the right decision, and your go-forward strategy sounds awesome.  Go out and find a fun sprint race and just enjoy it.  Maybe the race adrenaline will get you back in the right mindset.

2016-08-17 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Gretchen - Glad you are getting back into running after crushing your HIM and I'm shocked by the race directors letter to you. What a jerk. Not only was his lecturing abrasive - it's just not good business. dumba$$,

Agreed.  If I knew anything about how to post his jacka$$ response onto social media I would. 

2016-08-17 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I think you made the right decision Dave!

I think we sometimes equate sprints as a lesser sport....no different than comparing 100 meter sprint to marathon...both great races!

With your already busy life a sprint works well with training. More intense but much, much shorter training sessions, allowing you to add some fun back into your life!

Besides much better chance you can ride the vomit comet in a sprint...

Good luck moving forward.

Originally posted by Qua17 I wanted to let you all know that I made the hard decision to withdraw from IMNC. The injury to my calf played a small part (I'm still not running more that 3 miles at a time) but the bigger thing was my mental approach to the preparation. As Jenn will tell you - there are times when training for an ironman isn't fun - but with my depression from my lack of a job - I was bummed before during and after my workouts. I took your alls good advice but I still knew how slow I was going and I was starting to worry about not finishing the race within 17 hours. SO... I decided to drop out and focus on just having fun. I'm gonna try to find a sprint race and spend next year during nothing long than an olympic. Maybe that will get me back in the mood. For the last couple of weeks, I have seriously considered giving up on tri because I was hating it so much and I knew I really didn't want to do that. My wife tells me I'm just postponing my ironman and while I appreciate her support - I'm not sure sure. We shall see in time. So onward. I took a week off and that did me right. I went for a run/walk yesterday and that felt ok and I'm hoping to go for a swim later today. On the good side - my shoulder is feeling better and that's a blessing. I'm going to live vicariously though Jenn - you go Woman!

2016-08-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Dave, I think you 100% made the right decision, and your go-forward strategy sounds awesome.  Go out and find a fun sprint race and just enjoy it.  Maybe the race adrenaline will get you back in the right mindset.

DQ, That had to be a really difficult decision, but judging by what you have said to us over the past couple months, I think this was a good decision for you. If you are not having fun with it, why do it, right? I mean of course there will be times when the training is not fun, but if it doesn't make you feel good regularly, I personally do not see the point. As someone who hasn't done more than a sprint, I am probably not the best judge of this. I have never had any desire to even run a marathon, but I love the competition of sprints and how you can always try to improve your times/race yourself.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know when you've found your next race!
2016-08-17 2:50 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

As others have said, I think this is a good call on your part, hard as it was to make. Even leaving aside your current injuries and their impact on your training, you're clearly not enjoying yourself. 

Speaking of sprints, are you back in MA yet, or will you be soon? I haven't raced at all since the season opener in May, but am starting to look around for something in September now that I've started training again. How's another BDAS meet-up sound for "having fun"?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6397 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17586 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.