BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-02-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: A weekend already on it's way out

After 2 days of record highs here (77 on Friday, 78 yesterday) we're back to more normal temps today - high around 50ish today, back to 40's the rest of this week.  Still nice enough to get out for a run after my swim this morning though.  Well, more of a walk actually.  I did try to add in a few short run segments but just couldn't keep my HR down.  I'll keep at it though.

Scott - I did my STP test this morning.  400 time was 9:09, 200 time was 4:38 which puts me at 2:15/100 (double check my math on that please).  I'll plug that number into the workouts and see where how things go. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Janet

2016-02-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hello Gray team:

I hope you're all having a great weekend. Spring is seemingly started here in Washington State. It's still below 32 in the mornings, but by mid-morning we're in the upper 30's or low 40's. After a winter of temperatures in the teens, a 40 degree run feels like being on a beach in San Diego. OK, not that good, but still good.

I'm working my way through various gray guy maladies from plantar fasciitis to a tweaked back that had me hobbling. But I managed an easy 6 mile run yesterday and I'll hit the bike trainer this morning for a long ride...still can't ride outside as there is too much sand on the roads remaining from winter snow control.

I'm counting down to about 45 days until Lavaman tri in Hawaii. I'll be slow. But I'll be out there trying. Which is better than the alternative.

Have a great week.

Steve

Hey Steve,

75 this morning here.  And I DID run at the beach!  I imagine however, that you will have far better beach pictures in 6-weeks.

(Picture is the shared access trail at Carlsbad State Beach where I run 1-2 times/week.  Tough job but somebody has to do it!).

(carlsbad state beach.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
carlsbad state beach.jpg (18KB - 3 downloads)
2016-02-21 6:45 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott - I did my STP test this morning.  400 time was 9:09, 200 time was 4:38 which puts me at 2:15/100 (double check my math on that please).  I'll plug that number into the workouts and see where how things go. 

Hi Janet,

Yes, 2:15 is what I get also.  A little tip, when you start looking at the intervals, say for example it says 10 x 100 @ (STP + 3), 20 RI.  When you are figuring out your intervals, the three seconds makes for a difficult send off so I round up to the next 5-second increment.  2:15 + 3 = 2:18, round up to 2:20. Add the rest interval of 20-seconds gives a send-off interval of 2:40.  So, using the send-off interval of 2:40, attempt to maintain a pace of 2:18, which would give you 22 seconds rest between each interval (you will likely find your rest interval gradually decreasing over the set - that means you are doing it right).

Let me know if you have any questions.  Have fun!

2016-02-21 9:13 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Hello Gray team:

I hope you're all having a great weekend. Spring is seemingly started here in Washington State. It's still below 32 in the mornings, but by mid-morning we're in the upper 30's or low 40's. After a winter of temperatures in the teens, a 40 degree run feels like being on a beach in San Diego. OK, not that good, but still good.

I'm working my way through various gray guy maladies from plantar fasciitis to a tweaked back that had me hobbling. But I managed an easy 6 mile run yesterday and I'll hit the bike trainer this morning for a long ride...still can't ride outside as there is too much sand on the roads remaining from winter snow control.

I'm counting down to about 45 days until Lavaman tri in Hawaii. I'll be slow. But I'll be out there trying. Which is better than the alternative.

Have a great week.

Steve

Hey Steve,

75 this morning here.  And I DID run at the beach!  I imagine however, that you will have far better beach pictures in 6-weeks.

(Picture is the shared access trail at Carlsbad State Beach where I run 1-2 times/week.  Tough job but somebody has to do it!).

You win, Scott. We can't compete with anything close to that!
2016-02-21 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dahoffman72

Hello Gray team:

I hope you're all having a great weekend. Spring is seemingly started here in Washington State. It's still below 32 in the mornings, but by mid-morning we're in the upper 30's or low 40's.
Have a great week.

Steve

Steve, I feel your pain, it certainly sucks having the issues of greying haunting our every turn, but like you said "it is better than the alternative" I about 70days out form my first race as well. I did a 10K snowshoe race yesterday, the hills certainly kicked my butt, however, I did finish with a decent time.

Taking a good rest day today.

David--Nice! A 10K snow shoe race. You definitely win the award for "Warrior of the Weekend" this week. Way to go.

Steve
2016-02-21 11:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Steve - I envy you - a nice slow WARM Oly to look forward to.  The course map looks nice - especially the swim.

AK Dave - Reading your post I realized my 1st race this year is May 1st. Like your 1st race mine is 70 days away as well.  10 weeks will go fast.  Since I retired I can't imagine how I ever had time to work.

Janet - It will be a while before we see mid 70's temps here but we've had a mild winter very much like Steve's.  Our forecast for my run tomorrow is for 45F in sunshine so it will feel balmy.  No trace of snow or ice here except for up on the mountains.

Good luck with controlling your HR while running.  Just curious but what happens if you just run easy without watching your HR - or at least not looking at it until after you finish running?  

Scott - That's a pretty nice looking running trail.

All - I had a pretty good week training wise.  Almost 10.5 hours finishing early yesterday with a 2:35 trainer bike ride.  Best of the whole week was today, my rest day.  It was a guilty pleasure to sleep in and take a nap in the afternoon.  Of all my workouts I think I'm best at resting.

Tomorrow is a swim day and a 50 minute run.  Looking forward to it.

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-02-21 11:51 PM

2016-02-23 3:52 AM
in reply to: #5158550

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Hello there,
I would quite like to try your group if you have space? I am 55, female, quite keen, not very fit, a little overweight. Have always wanted to be able to run, but never got very far. Triathlon is a thing I would really love to do but am struggling on my own. I acheived my Karate blackbelt at 49, began Judo recently, swim once a week (well enough but not competative level at all) Own a bicycle (weather issues here) so am able to cycle. I would say I am a fairly determined character but that life has a way of taking over and exercise/fun things get put to one side. Started running a few months ago, got to the few minutes running, couple min walking stage and started to get pain at bottom of back. Cleared up fine but not got back to it. Any hope?
2016-02-23 6:48 PM
in reply to: Jennyinorkney

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Jennyinorkney Hello there, I would quite like to try your group if you have space? I am 55, female, quite keen, not very fit, a little overweight. Have always wanted to be able to run, but never got very far. Triathlon is a thing I would really love to do but am struggling on my own. I acheived my Karate blackbelt at 49, began Judo recently, swim once a week (well enough but not competative level at all) Own a bicycle (weather issues here) so am able to cycle. I would say I am a fairly determined character but that life has a way of taking over and exercise/fun things get put to one side. Started running a few months ago, got to the few minutes running, couple min walking stage and started to get pain at bottom of back. Cleared up fine but not got back to it. Any hope?

Hi Jenny!

When I read your post, I first thought you might be British as I sensed a bit of an accent..  My bad as I see you are in Scotland!

Welcome to the group!  Yes, we have space and are happy to have you with us.  I remember a time when swimming across the pool was a major challenge and running was more like REALLY slow walking.  We all started somewhere so yes, there absolutely is hope!

As to you not being very fit, you have a black belt.  My grand-daughter recently got her black belt and I have been to a couple of her matches.  If you are doing what she does you must be reasonably fit - don't shortchange yourself.  It may not be specific swim, bike, or run fitness, but it is better than coming off of the couch with absolutely nothing but watching TV.

The pain in your back while running may be improper form, or it could be the shoes you are wearing to name a couple of the most common reasons.  Since you have been active with Karate and I assume have had no back issues, it seems clear the pain is directly related to the running.  Do you have "real" running shoes?  That is generally the first thing, go to a store that specializes in running and have them help you choose the proper shoe.  The wrong shoe can lead to all sorts of aches and pains, not to mention injury if the shoes you are using are just WRONG for you.  The next thing that causes pain or injury is increasing your mileage to quickly.  It sounds like you might be following a couch-to-5K type program that advances through run/walk workouts with increasingly longer runs and shorter walks.  Those are wonderful programs to get started.  Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you aren't comfortable advancing the run interval - or if you are having minor pain.  It isn't uncommon to have some aches and pains when you first start actually training with a purpose.  The trick is telling when it is a minor pain from working out, and something you can train through; or something more serious requiring time off from training and/or a visit to a physician.

We have a great bunch of people here in the Gray Guys/Gals Group that are happy to ask questions.  Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any.

2016-02-23 8:24 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Jennyinorkney

Hello there,
I would quite like to try your group if you have space? I am 55, female, quite keen, not very fit, a little overweight. Have always wanted to be able to run, but never got very far. Triathlon is a thing I would really love to do but am struggling on my own. I acheived my Karate blackbelt at 49, began Judo recently, swim once a week (well enough but not competative level at all) Own a bicycle (weather issues here) so am able to cycle. I would say I am a fairly determined character but that life has a way of taking over and exercise/fun things get put to one side. Started running a few months ago, got to the few minutes running, couple min walking stage and started to get pain at bottom of back. Cleared up fine but not got back to it. Any hope?

Jenny:

Welcome to the group.

I think every single one of us on this forum started with low fitness and/or low skill in some aspect of Triathlon. And it's definitely harder to get in shape after age 50. But the challenge is half the fun. Anyone with a black belt in Karate understands training and perseverance. Hang it there. Start slow and recognize your progress will be slow...but you will get there if you decide it's worth it to stick with it.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the journey. When I started triathlon several years ago I got so much joy from all the things there is to learn to be a multi-sport athlete. For me, it was about a three year ride to reach a reasonable level of skill...but what fun in being able to constantly improve performance in an athletic event in my mid-50's.

Let us know how we can help!

Steve
2016-02-24 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi all ... started out my week on Monday with some recovery from weekend skiing.  This was my last planned ski trip for the season and the warmer weather is added verification.  The mornings began with semi-frozen snow and had turned to pure slush by the day's end.

Spent some time on the trainer yesterday to determine cycling max power.  This was via a nice 20 minute warm-up; 20 minute all out effort (almost to the puke level); and a 5-10 minute cool down.  Plan to do another session today.

Scott, I've revamped my training plan and put several hi-intensity sessions together for weekly cycling.  My plan is based on 4 sessions per week ... 3 hi-intensity and 1 endurance, and increasing the session duration over time and warmer weather (outside riding).

Have a good week all ... and welcome to the group Jenny !

2016-02-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Janet - It will be a while before we see mid 70's temps here but we've had a mild winter very much like Steve's.  Our forecast for my run tomorrow is for 45F in sunshine so it will feel balmy.  No trace of snow or ice here except for up on the mountains.

Good luck with controlling your HR while running.  Just curious but what happens if you just run easy without watching your HR - or at least not looking at it until after you finish running?  

George - If I don't pay attention to my HR and just run, I tend to go way too fast for a training run, even when I'm trying to do an easy run.  So I've been trying to keep my HR down due to some recurring injuries and just to put a little more structure into my run training.  It's been a little frustrating - I want to go "fast" (relative term since "fast" for me is about a 10mm), but I also want to be able to get through my races feeling good and staying healthy.  So it's a bit of a trade-off, but one that I hope will pay off in the end. 

Janet

2016-02-26 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi all, Finally had some time to put together a short bio, I need to spend some time catching up with everyones posts, but I am glad to be back in the group. There is such a wealth of experience!

NAME: Mountaindan Dan Wilson

STORY: I started in Triathlon a few years back after watching a local Tri, I thought it looked fun and would be a great way to stay in shape. I joined a local club that really helped get me involved and I have learned so much from them. It has really been the people that have kept me involved in the sport. I haven’t done as many tri’s as I would like, but I enjoy training with friends and doing our mini tri’s during the summer.
I had big plans last year to do my first Ironman, but as happens a lot to age groupers like me life takes precedence and had to put those plans on the back burner, but that is my ultimate goal in the near future.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years with 2 grown sons and twin daughter who are juniors in college.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just winding up for the Season, I have spent most of the last few months doing weight training and running, now I am getting back on the bike using Trainerroad. Swimming will start in a few more months, I’m not a big fan of the pool and would much rather do open water swims, but in Maine that usually doesn’t happen until the middle of May most years.

2016 PLANNED RACES: Right now I have only one, The White Mountain Triathlon Olympic in June. I am hoping to get a couple more in this year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely one of my goals, I’m a big guy at 6’3” 230 lbs, I am working to get down to around 205 for the upcoming season, I’ve been on vacation this week and have a friend in town which is not helping ?, but will be back on track in a few days.

I love learning from others and sharing my experiences to hopefully help someone else. I have always believed that I can learn from everyone, be it a very experienced person or someone that is new to any endeavor.
I look forward to getting to know everyone and share our experiences in this great sport.

Dan
2016-02-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi all,

It's Friday afternoon and I've reached the end of the revenue generating portion of my week!

Dorm: I can imagine that most east coast skiing will wind down early this year. I remember that those warm ski days were great fun, but an afternoon of pushing that heavy sludge is tough on the legs.

Jenny: Welcome to the group!

Dan: Welcome back!

I'm continuing a focus on swim and bike this winter as I rehab a calf issue. Starting to feel like I'm making solid progress in both form and even speed in the water with the help of a coach. I have a long way to go, but I'm in a decent groove at the moment. On the bike front, I have finally synced the speed/cadence sensor to TrainerRoad, so I'm looking forward to doing the FTP and some TR workouts next week.

My weekend training plan includes a 90 minute indoor cycling class at the LBS tomorrow. Then on Sunday, the local tri club has our second indoor tri of the season. This one is a 550 yd swim, followed by a 10 mile spin and 2.25 mile treadmill run. As always, the post race breakfast will feature homemade waffles by our swim coach and plenty of trash talking by the athletes as results come in from the different waves. I'm convinced that the trash talking segment is my strongest discipline.

Happy training.

Dave
2016-02-27 12:06 PM

User image

Greeting all!!
First off welcome to Jenny and welcome back Dan!!
Jenny as most have said before, you can overcome near anything with a positive attitude and listening to your body as you progress through training, it will seems slow at first, but, as you keep at it, you will start to see significant gains. Do not get discouraged with slow results or let others tell you "your crazy, your too old for this..." Set your goals, Make a plan and share them here (that will help give you motivation and accountability), then strive to achieve them. We have all overcome, injury, weight issues and lack of motivation among other detractors. We are here to help you learn from our mistakes, please never feel embarrassed to ask a stupid questions, for there are NO stupid questions. We are all here because we have questions, issues or are in need of a motivational push.

My last couple of weeks have been busy, I remained focused on swimming and running and hiking with the occasional bike session. Heading back to Fairbanks today for another 10K snowshoe race (the last of the season). The snow is melting rapidly in the heat wave we are having here, but I do not expect it to last and am sure we will get dumped on again but it is over.

I will begin training in earnest for my first race early next month, I will post my plan in "My Training Plans" once I get it nailed down.

AKDave
2016-02-28 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Question on cycling intensity training each week

I've put together a cycling plan with varying levels of intensity and my plan is to work in 4 cycling sessions per week.  3 sessions will be hard effort and one will be an easier, endurance session ... hopefully the weather will help and I can get in a long outside ride for the endurance session.  The harder sessions vary in effort wherein time spent at 100%-115% max effort varies from 60% of the time downward, 90%, 80%, 70% max effort yada yada yada. 

Is there a good mix between the hard sessions on a weekly basis; i.e. one really hard session - one 'medium' hard session - one 'easier' hard session + a long ride?  Does it matter?  What are the groups thoughts on this?

2016-03-01 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Question on cycling intensity training each week

Originally posted by Dorm57

Is there a good mix between the hard sessions on a weekly basis; i.e. one really hard session - one 'medium' hard session - one 'easier' hard session + a long ride?  Does it matter?  What are the groups thoughts on this?

Hey Tony,

Proper training is about achieving a balance.  We can manipulate intensity - how hard we are working out; duration - how far we are running, cycling, or swimming; and frequency - how many times in a given period we are doing the exercise.  How we combine those factors gives us our total training volume.  A consideration however, is that as one factor goes up, another factor must come down in order to maintain a balance.  As intensity of a workout rises, the volume must come down - maintaining a balance.  If you do intense workouts every day, in a relatively short period of time you will likely become "over-trained" with the associated risks - burnout, injury potential, loss of fitness.  On the other hand, if all you do is short easy workouts every day, you will likely not improve or improve very slowly.

What's missing here is talk of recovery.  Training volume MUST be balanced with recovery for physiological adaptations to take place.  Meaning, if you don't allow for FULL recovery, you will never improve, indeed you could find yourself going backwards and actually losing fitness.

Let me explain.

During and after an intense workout there is a breakdown of muscle fibers, a depletion of naturally occurring substances in the body (glycogen, enzymes, ATP, etc.), and a build-up of metabolic by-products (accumulation of lactate and protons), leaving the body and nervous system in a state of fatigue post workout.

The body strives to maintain a state of “homeostasis,” or balance - the body’s tendency to maintain internal stability and balance through the coordinated response of its parts to any situation or stimulus that would tend to disturb its normal condition or function.

From that post-workout state of fatigue the body immediately begins to return to homeostasis by flushing metabolic by-products, replenishing glycogen stores, creating ATP, and rebuilding the muscle fibers, enzymes, mitochondria, and nervous system through an increase in protein synthesis. That period from fatigue back to the pre-workout baseline fitness level is known as “compensation” or recovery.  Now, here is where we see just how incredible the human body truly is – the body anticipates future physical needs and has the ability to adapt and grow stronger. If an athlete allows for FULL and proper recovery from that initial fatigue BEFORE the NEXT workout, he/she may then achieve supercompensation. Supercompensation refers to the post training period during which the trained function/parameter has a higher performance capacity than it did prior to the training period.  In layman's terms, you get stronger and faster.

Recovery then is the path to supercompensation - or getting faster and stronger.

The "art" of training is applying the next dose of appropriate training stress at that precise moment of supercompensation so your are building from that new "super-compensated" fitness baseline.  (See two attached photos below).

If all you do is hard workouts, you will never allow your body to return to the fitness baseline and your fitness will stair-step down to overtraining.

If you achieve a proper balance of training and recovery, followed by the application of additional appropriate training stress at the moment of supercompensation, you will stair-step to greater fitness.

So yes, the short answer is, there is a "proper balance" of hard, easy, and moderate workouts.

In case you missed this, a couple weeks ago I gave an example of what a typical week might look like..  If you look at the workout examples, you can see it alternates challenging workouts with easier workouts.  I put the last section in bold as it may be the most important part.

I typically have one long zone 2 endurance ride each week (ex. - 210' @ 60-70% FTP) which I generally get to do outdoors because I am in sunny Southern California. Then I do three rides per week on my trainer, typically one of those rides is an over-under interval ride (ex. - 5 x 9' intervals (3 x (1' @ 95% FTP, 2' @ 105% FTP)) w/6' recovery @ 55% FTP between interval sets); the remaining two rides I alternate between the following types of workout:

VO2 MAX intervals - (ex. - 6 x 3' @ 120% FTP w/3' recovery @ 50% FTP)
Sweet spot intervals - (ex. - 4 x 12' @ 85-90% FTP w/9' recovery at 50% FTP)
Tempo ride - (ex. - 90' @ 75-80% FTP)
Threshold intervals - (4 x 15' @ 95-99% FTP w/3' recovery at 60% FTP)

I alternate VO2 MAX/Threshold interval workouts with tempo/sweet spot workouts based on what the rest of my training week looks like - VO2 MAX and Threshold intervals can create a great deal of residual fatigue so I take care not to impact other key workouts that week. Recovery weeks I do all four rides as Z1-2 recovery/endurance rides.

Hope all of that helps a little bit.

Edited by k9car363 2016-03-01 7:26 AM

(supercompensation.jpg)

(supercompensation over time.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
supercompensation.jpg (75KB - 4 downloads)
supercompensation over time.jpg (60KB - 3 downloads)

2016-03-01 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Question on cycling intensity training each week

Thanks Scott, and yes this helps.  I'm working with about 6-8 different interval workouts (similar to ones you listed) and did not know how was best to 'stack' these back-to-back or schedule these for a given week.  From your suggestion I should "alternate a V02 MAX/Threshold workout with a slightly less intense tempo/sweet spot workout".  Currently, my week looks like:

• one intense workout (VO2 Max or Threshold)
  • two SST - Tempo workouts
  • one long endurance (65%-70%

I'd like to do back-to-back days with VO2 Max-Threshold and SST or Tempo.  Follow this with 1-2 days rest, then do another SST or Tempo workout, with next day long endurance ride.  Right now, I can only stand one very intense session/week. And yes I do appreciate the importance of recovery.

I'll also schedule another 20 minute TT after about 3-weeks and adjust power levels accordingly.  Do you feel the 3-weeks is too soon or too late?  For  my 'rest' days between cycling workouts, I work in some run & swim sessions, depending on how much mojo I have in the tank.

2016-03-02 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Hi Janet,

Yes, 2:15 is what I get also.  A little tip, when you start looking at the intervals, say for example it says 10 x 100 @ (STP + 3), 20 RI.  When you are figuring out your intervals, the three seconds makes for a difficult send off so I round up to the next 5-second increment.  2:15 + 3 = 2:18, round up to 2:20. Add the rest interval of 20-seconds gives a send-off interval of 2:40.  So, using the send-off interval of 2:40, attempt to maintain a pace of 2:18, which would give you 22 seconds rest between each interval (you will likely find your rest interval gradually decreasing over the set - that means you are doing it right).

Let me know if you have any questions.  Have fun!

Scott - I've done a couple of workouts using this and I have a question.  When I do the 100's, I'm finishing them faster than the 2:18-2:20 that I'm supposed to be doing.  This morning the plan called for 6 x 100 @ STP +5, 20" RI (after w/u and 2 x 200 pull).  I did the first couple in about 2:05 each, closer to 2:10 for the others (I tried to slow down for those).  So I ended up with 30-35" RI instead of the 20".  Should I stay with the 2:40 sendoffs or shorten the rest interval so I'm only getting 20" rest?  Or do I try to slow down the 100's so I'm hitting the 2:18-2:20?  Is it possible the test that I did was inaccurate - it was done at a different pool than where I usually swim?  I've only done 2 workouts so far but just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Thanks

Janet

2016-03-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

, California

Hello All,

I am not posting much but reading your posts for inspiration. I am plugging away trying to build some distance and stay healthy for a 1/2 marathon May 1. I have tris on my calendar for the summer months and will add my swimming in next month. There is a 3 race series I want to complete in Aug, Sept and November. I just need to get over my fear of sharks to get back in the water

Hey Dan,

I think we were in a mentor group a few years back together. Nice to see a familiar face. 

Have a great weekend.

2016-03-03 7:22 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi Tara,

Yes we were, Welcome to the group!

I think you will find this is a great group with a wealth of knowledge.

Dan
2016-03-03 8:11 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott - I've done a couple of workouts using this and I have a question.  When I do the 100's, I'm finishing them faster than the 2:18-2:20 that I'm supposed to be doing.  This morning the plan called for 6 x 100 @ STP +5, 20" RI (after w/u and 2 x 200 pull).  I did the first couple in about 2:05 each, closer to 2:10 for the others (I tried to slow down for those).  So I ended up with 30-35" RI instead of the 20".  Should I stay with the 2:40 sendoffs or shorten the rest interval so I'm only getting 20" rest?  Or do I try to slow down the 100's so I'm hitting the 2:18-2:20?  Is it possible the test that I did was inaccurate - it was done at a different pool than where I usually swim?  I've only done 2 workouts so far but just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Thanks

Janet

Hi Janet,

You should try and slow your pace a bit more while keeping proper form.  That may be a challenge as you go slower, but that will be the best way to accomplish what the goal of this type of workout is.  That said, don't slow your pace so much that your technique breaks down because you are going so slowly.  For the purposes of the workout, whatever your pace is, keep the rest at 20-seconds.  That is why these workouts are written with a specific rest interval rather than a calculated send-off interval.  These particular swims are comparable to the long duration slow runs, those low Z2 endurance runs.  lf I recall you are following the Sprint Base plan from my website.  Most of those workouts are designed to build aerobic base.  If you look at the workouts in the Sprint Build plan, you will see that the paces are faster and the rest intervals shorter, which will develop speed.

Hope that helps explain it a little better.

2016-03-03 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I too have been quiet for a while.  Just working out pretty steady and getting anxious to do some races (can't wait to write some race reports).

I've been working out steady and having fun.  I only have 4 more indoor cycling sessions before we hope we can start riding outside.  Tonight our main set was 7# Over/ Unders.  Each interval was 4 minutes at Zn 4 then Zn 3 and repeat up to 7 times (total 28 minutes).  This was a hard class and my thighs were burning at the end.  The whole hour session went by so fast I couldn't believe it.  Strangely, a couple hours later I feel really good - maybe a bit of endorphins to make me feel good.  Actually, I seem to get endorphins with swimming and running as well - I feel pretty good after most workouts.

I signed up for an Easter weekend cycling camp.  4 days of intense riding/ hill climbing.  I'm getting a little worried about it being more intense than I'm prepared for but it should be fun....I hope.  

I've been slowly ramping up my running by adding a few minutes each week.  Trying to gradually increase my pace as well. 

I've been enjoying "Crashed Ice" again this last week.  This year an American won (Cameron Naasz) in St. Paul.  If you've never seen it check out some of the Crashed Ice videos on Youtube (I tried to copy a couple links here but wasn't able to).  It's pretty interesting to watch really fast and amazing how these skaters fall and bounce back up.  I certainly have no desire to do it.  Swim, bike and run is quite enough.

2016-03-04 10:55 AM

, Ohio
Love it! I am 50 yo female and love the focus of this group. Your right, a lot of other programs are focused towards the younger athlete and not us old folks who may need to train a little differently, a little slower.

I am new to triathlons, but played sports in my younger days. I did two sprint tris last year. I hate to run but love to swim and getting the hang of the bike. During a typical week I will strength train 2x, swim, and bike at least 2X per week each. I haven't started doing any bricks yet and know I need to and to get more running in.

My races for 2016 - I did an indoor tri in January and have several sprint tris scheduled throughout the year, most are pool swims, but getting the nerve up to do a OWS with a lake swim. Goal is to get to Olympic distance with OWS

Looking forward to the group

Marci
2016-03-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: Panda21sar

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Panda21sar

Love it! I am 50 yo female and love the focus of this group. Your right, a lot of other programs are focused towards the younger athlete and not us old folks who may need to train a little differently, a little slower.

I am new to triathlons, but played sports in my younger days. I did two sprint tris last year. I hate to run but love to swim and getting the hang of the bike. During a typical week I will strength train 2x, swim, and bike at least 2X per week each. I haven't started doing any bricks yet and know I need to and to get more running in.

My races for 2016 - I did an indoor tri in January and have several sprint tris scheduled throughout the year, most are pool swims, but getting the nerve up to do a OWS with a lake swim. Goal is to get to Olympic distance with OWS

Looking forward to the group

Marci

Hi Marci!

Welcome to the group.  I love your excitement!  We have a great bunch of people that are happy to answer questions.

Look forward to getting to know you.

2016-03-05 8:37 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: What's on Your Weekend Agenda?

Another weekend is here!  What's on everyone's exercise agenda today and tomorrow?

My wife and I, our youngest son and his family are entered in the Sea World Pole-to-Pole 5K/Fun Run tomorrow morning.  The run includes a day in the park so we are spending today with Shamu and friends.  Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow morning until after the run, although the weather man is saying that isn't likely.  Yes, even in So. Calif. we occasionally get rain.

This is my first "Race" of the season!  However, it's through the park on an unmeasured course with no timing chip and 5,000 of my closest friends.  Yeah, really the race is more of a vehicle to get discounted admission to the park, but don't tell anybody!

So anyone else have anything fun planned?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17665 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open