BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-02-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5158713

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED
Finally feeling better here too! I have one run left to get in this weekend and I'll have hit all my goals for the week. Glad everyone else is starting to kick their illnesses as well. Of course, the baby has sniffles again. Hopefully something else isn't going to circulate through our house. You would think after 9 years working in hospitals I'd have a decent immune system by now!

I'm still pretty resistant to making nutrition changes for racing. We eat pretty well at my house - mostly home cooked/from scratch, lots of fruits and veggies, and I bake all of our bread. My kids eat most of it, and I don't really want to mess with success, Kwim? We do, however, eat white rice and pasta, too much bacon, and I drink more wine than is strictly recommended. I should probably work on reducing all of that, but I don't wanna!

2016-02-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5166960

Oh, and yes Chris, my real name is Maura
2016-02-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim Lessons

LOL, Jaime.  I agree!

You're right about the 40-49 age groupers.  Every race I'm in the majority, or close to it, of the top 10 are in that group.  I was excited to see I'll be the young dog again. 

2016-02-13 11:00 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by MMW37 Finally feeling better here too! I have one run left to get in this weekend and I'll have hit all my goals for the week. Glad everyone else is starting to kick their illnesses as well. Of course, the baby has sniffles again. Hopefully something else isn't going to circulate through our house. You would think after 9 years working in hospitals I'd have a decent immune system by now! I'm still pretty resistant to making nutrition changes for racing. We eat pretty well at my house - mostly home cooked/from scratch, lots of fruits and veggies, and I bake all of our bread. My kids eat most of it, and I don't really want to mess with success, Kwim? We do, however, eat white rice and pasta, too much bacon, and I drink more wine than is strictly recommended. I should probably work on reducing all of that, but I don't wanna!

Bacon and wine.  Do I know you?  LOL

2016-02-13 5:53 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

For a vegan, I eat a lot of bacon.
2016-02-14 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 Oh, and yes Chris, my real name is Maura

Thanks Maura! I was 99% sure but didn't  have time to go back through the old archive to confirm it.

2016-02-14 6:49 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Swim Lessons

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

LOL, Jaime.  I agree!

You're right about the 40-49 age groupers.  Every race I'm in the majority, or close to it, of the top 10 are in that group.  I was excited to see I'll be the young dog again. 

You know it! I'm 45 this year so I move out of the dreaded 40-44, but 45-49 isn't much better. 

In our state series last year, The Georgia Endurance Series, the top 4 overall were all in 40-44 category. So 4th in the AG ended up winning the AG because the top 3 all got bumped up to overall awards. And three of the four of us all move up to 45-49 together, so it doesn't get any easier!!

2016-02-14 6:48 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: 1st Race Report

Last weekend I had my first race of 2016, The Tybee Island Run Festival in which I participated in the Half-marathon.

A full race report is at my link below

but, here's the short version...

It was cold, windy and mostly miserable conditions. Despite all that I was on PR pace through about mile 9 then started fading. (I'll blame the wind and a sore knee). I finished about a minute and a half over my PR goal time but still got 7th in the AG out of 47 total. Missed 6th by 2 seconds to a guy I actually beat across the line at the finish. (His chip time beat mine (

2016-02-14 7:05 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Conspiring against me?
I'm not sure just what was going on this weekend, but it seems like life was conspiring against me as I tried to get in a pool workout. I had been going on Saturday mornings about 9:00, but the pool has been so busy lately at that time that I decided to postpone it until the afternoon. I left the house about 1:30, but when I got to the pool I got an unpleasant surprise when I found there was some kind of massive swim meet going on! This is probably the 3rd time in the last 3 months that I've either had a workout cut short or not been able to workout at all due to an event at my Y. Why they can't either update the schedule online, post something to their Facebook group, or send out an e-mail to their members is beyond me. I sent an angry e-mail to the person in charge of pool scheduling. It's ridiculous in the age of electronic communication that they can't alert their members! I'm sure they knew about that meet for at least a week, but I got nothing.

Not to be deterred, I checked the schedule today and saw there were 6 lanes for lap swim starting at 1:45. I got all geared up for the cold weather (-6 this morning when I went to the grocery store) and grabbed my swim bag. I'm just about to go to my car when I notice my bag looks a little "skinny". It's usually puffed out a little from my towel. Just for fun, I opened the bag to check on my gear and found it completely empty! My wife had taken my swim shorts and towel from yesterday out of my bag and tossed them in the wash. She said "you would have been pissed if you got there and found it empty". Uh, yeah, understatement of the year!

Well, screw you universe, I got my swim workout in this weekend! Hope you all had a good weekend and a Happy Valentine's Day!
2016-02-16 1:09 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Conspiring against me?
Congratulations on making it to the pool, and on the half marathon!

We had gorgeous weather this weekend, 70 degrees and sunny.

I did a 5K race this weekend. Stuck with a pretty challenging pace the first couple miles. Didn't have much left to kick at the end. Parts of the course were pretty sandy, so I think maybe I realized I wasn't going to PR and gave up a little at the end, I wish I'd tried a little harder to catch one more person. But it was still fun!
2016-02-16 8:22 AM
in reply to: #5166961

Monty - I'm also married to a guy name Monte, are you him in disguise?

2016-02-17 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by MMW37 Monty - I'm also married to a guy name Monte, are you him in disguise?

I'll never tell!!

He must be a pretty good guy!

2016-02-20 2:50 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: Tri and Running Races
Hi all,

My wife has persuaded me to enter a number of 10k races this year ending with my first half marathon, I'm looking for advice on how to mix in pure running training with my tri training.

This is my race plan for the year. The letters are how important the race is

March 10th - 10k (b)

May 15th 10k (b)

June 5th Sprint Tri (a)

June 19th Sprint Tri (a/b) - not sure about this due to how close it is to the other races

July 3rd 10k (a)

Aug 7th Oly Tri (a)

Sept 2nd 10k (b)

Oct 23rd 10k (b)

Nov 13th Half Marathon (a)

My plan at the moment is to train normally for a tri and then about a month before the 10k replace some of the swim and bike sessions with an extra run. So maybe only swim once a week and bike once a week or even skip a week.
Once I finish in Aug then its pure running no problem.
I'm also not sure about the June Tri - do you think that might be too much, or should I go for it? It means June is pretty hardcore with races every two weeks, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Any help on the plan or training suggestions would be great. If anyone is interested I have been recording my training on the training log of this site.

Thanks very much. This is such a great place for advice and tips.

Tony.

PS anyone on this forum in or around London and doing any events?
2016-02-20 6:27 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Tri and Running Races
Your schedule looks a lot like mine. I've got 5Ks, a 10K, a 10 mile, a half marathon, and two obstacle course races on my calendar in addition to 3 sprint and 2 Olympic triathlons. Depending on my non-tri life schedule, I may throw in an off-road Xterra triathlon. Two 5Ks, the 10K, one OCR, and the 10 mile race all happen before I even get to my first tri. I knew at the beginning of the year that I planned to have a busy race calendar and also had the goal of doing my first half marathon, so I started building my run volume back in December. Since the start of December, I've focused more on my running than the bike while my swim training has been typical. Once spring rolls around and I can ride outside, I don't plan to train any differently from my normal tri training for the last couple of years, except that I plan to try for 3 run workouts a week vs. the 2 a week I've typically done (not counting brick runs). I won't be dropping any of my bike or swim workouts once the nicer weather is here.

I'm not saying this is the best way to go, just what I'm planning to do. I think the bike workouts actually help my running and they are low impact. I've done a few 5K and 10K time trials recently and my times have improved. I usually do my time trials on the treadmill and I've set new treadmill PRs at both distances. In fact, I took nearly 2:00 off my previous 10K treadmill PR! I've tried to follow the advice of logging a higher volume at lower intensity to build my aerobic base. So far, it seems to be going pretty well.

I only quickly scanned over the last month or so of your workout log and it looks like you've only logged about 1 run every 7-10 days. Chris could answer this better than me, but that seems completely inadequate. If this is just the start to your training season, then I can understand that you're just getting started. But you'll need to start increasing your frequency to add volume to your run training. I would think that you need to build up your base before you worry too much about speed, but again I would defer to Chris.
2016-02-20 9:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Second Practice Mini-Tri, and then.....
S: 760 yards/20 min
B: 11.7 miles/30 min
R: 1.9 miles/20 min

So, this was the second practice mini-tri of the year, put on by my triathlon club. I was hoping to do better in the swim, and it is a little better than the previous one last month, so minor improvement. My bike was 0.2 miles less in the 30 minutes, but the guy leading the spin session had us "climbing hills" this time. I was busy chatting with a new guy off to my left and didn't really put as much effort into it as I could have; I was more interested in my swim and run times, and besides, the spin cycle was very uncomfortable. I did a little better with the run; I'm pretty happy with that time. I used my new Garmin 910xt with the heart monitor during this event, although I forgot to turn it on until the run. Ha ha! But, the Garmin worked far better than my Timex Ironman GPS watch did and connected with the satellite right away, so I'm pretty happy with it.

And then....

I got hit by a car. I had just turned my Garmin off and was crossing the street to head back to the fitness club, when some idiot on his cell phone ran a stop sign and plowed right into me. He hit me just above my shins, tossing me up onto his hood (I hope I left a NICE BIG dent!), and back out onto the street. All I could do was lay there and scream. Someone called 911, and the cops, paramedics, and ambulance were there within minutes. I just screamed and screamed and screamed. All I could think of was how this was going to mess up my training and I wouldn't be able to compete at NOLA. The paramedics loaded me up onto a board thingy (and the thought flashed briefly through my head, "d**n*, I wish I had my phone! This would make a great selfie!") and into the ambulance. I spent the next couple of hours getting every part of my body x-rayed, and fortunately, nothing was broken, but I was sure battered and bruised. My left leg is swollen where the car's bumper hit me, and my right hip hurts really bad where I landed on it on the street. Fortunately, my head didn't hit anything.

So, my training will be interrupted for a few days, but I should be back to my usual self by next weekend. I found out at the hospital that the alarm goes off when someone's heart rate falls below 50, so I had fun with that while I was waiting for x-rays. (My normal resting heart rate is around 45 bpm.) Everyone kept remarking how great my blood pressure was, and I'm sure my physical condition had a lot to do with the fact that I didn't really get injured. And the ER doctor was also a triathlete, so he fully understood my concerns about making sure nothing was cracked or broken. One of the triathlon club members came and stayed with me at the hospital and then took me back to my truck when I was released. After a long, hot shower at the fitness club, I was ready for the long drive home. I'm so fortunate it turned out as it did because that little Suburu Imprezza could have really done some damage, but as it turns out, I may have done more damage to it as I remember seeing pieces of the front end laying in the street.

2.21.16 Update: Talked to the police officer this afternoon. The bozo who hit me didn't even get a citation. I'm so disgusted!

Edited by burner2 2016-02-21 6:30 PM
2016-02-21 7:37 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Second Practice Mini-Tri, and then.....
Great job with your Tri! Hope ya heal up fast following that incident with the car.

Originally posted by burner2

S: 760 yards/20 min
B: 11.7 miles/30 min
R: 1.9 miles/20 min

2.21.16 Update: Talked to the police officer this afternoon. The bozo who hit me didn't even get a citation. I'm so disgusted!

2016-02-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

New user
Subject: RE: January Totals
So, I've just been swamped. January totals stunk. Bike: 3h 55m 31s - 78.76 MiRun: 1h 52m 37s - 13.9 Mi. No swimming! Haven't done anything yet this month either. Between catching the crud, kids and wife catching the crud and studying I haven't set my priorities. Still haven't figured out where I'm racing this year. I'm sure that's part of it as well. Hope everyone else is getting a better start than I am!

Scott
2016-02-21 8:52 PM

User image

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so glad you're OK. What a horrible thing to go through. I can't BELIEVE that guy didn't even get a ticket!!!! That's insane. I know things could have been so much worse, but I'm really sorry this happened to you. Heal fast.

P.S. Awesome job on your mini-tri!
2016-02-22 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Been sick with the flu the last 6 days. Back up and at work today. Will catch up with all the posts tomorrow!!!

2016-02-22 7:12 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Just saw my primary care doctor this afternoon, and she says I'm probably looking at six weeks recovery, which, of course, is very upsetting. She's trying to get me into physical therapy as soon as possible so I can make my race in April. It's looking pretty iffy at this point. I'm going to start water aerobics tonight because I don't know what else to do, and at least it's doing something. I'm trying really hard to stay positive.
2016-02-22 10:52 PM

User image

Sorry I have been off for awhile. Training the last two weeks really sucked due to travel and other commitments. Feeling slow, but started this week out good.

Cass - sorry to hear about your accident. Generally I suspect you can press charges. You may need to go to the magistrate, or police station. Would be sure to fill a report. As a trauma surgeon I would give you no restrictions. Ease back into your training. If you didn't break anything there is no reason to take extended time off unless activity hurts. Would not recommend training if you are on pain pills other than ibuprofen or naproxen.

Other time docs give restrictions because patients want them.
Keep working hard!

Nate

2016-02-23 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by burner2 Just saw my primary care doctor this afternoon, and she says I'm probably looking at six weeks recovery, which, of course, is very upsetting. She's trying to get me into physical therapy as soon as possible so I can make my race in April. It's looking pretty iffy at this point. I'm going to start water aerobics tonight because I don't know what else to do, and at least it's doing something. I'm trying really hard to stay positive.

Yikes! So sorry to read your report. Rest and heal up.

You too, Chris!

2016-02-24 12:13 PM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by burner2

Just saw my primary care doctor this afternoon, and she says I'm probably looking at six weeks recovery, which, of course, is very upsetting. She's trying to get me into physical therapy as soon as possible so I can make my race in April. It's looking pretty iffy at this point. I'm going to start water aerobics tonight because I don't know what else to do, and at least it's doing something. I'm trying really hard to stay positive.

Hang in there, girl!!! Just breathe...all is coming!
2016-02-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri and Running Races

Ok, hi everyone, I'm back up and online and hopefully getting back into a regular routine.

Tony, as to your run training question on the 10k's:

This is a little tricky as to how to mix in your run training with your tri training because if your logs are up to date there really isn't much to "mix in." Your first 10k is in a couple of weeks, so not much else you can do about that one, but the one in May you have time to be better prepared for.

If you start now with run workouts which are focused on the 10k's and you "mix in" the swim and bike work for your sprints in June you should be very prepared for the 5K (I'm assuming) sprint distance tri run. 

Like Randy said, you should be running with more frequency. Try to find the time to get at least 3 or 4 runs in every week. Make at least one of them the 10k distance and another one 10k +10-25%. So that run could be around 7 or 8 miles.  Be consistent with these runs week after week and you'll see improvements. Coming from only 1 run a week though, take the time to build by adding a run per week over the next few weeks until you get to the 4 runs which should put your around 30-35km/ week.

Edited by Dominion 2016-02-24 3:10 PM
2016-02-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: January Totals

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 So, I've just been swamped. January totals stunk. Bike: 3h 55m 31s - 78.76 MiRun: 1h 52m 37s - 13.9 Mi. No swimming! Haven't done anything yet this month either. Between catching the crud, kids and wife catching the crud and studying I haven't set my priorities. Still haven't figured out where I'm racing this year. I'm sure that's part of it as well. Hope everyone else is getting a better start than I am! Scott

Scott, I'm right there with you. My schedule hasn't come together for this year as well and although I am trying to prepare as normally as possible I know it is hurting motivation, at least a little. Keep working even if the future is unclear and when things fall into place you'll be ready to take advantage of whatever opportunity comes along.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22927 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.