General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike / Old Bike - Fit Size Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-08 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
Subject: New Bike / Old Bike - Fit Size Question
Hey everyone - I've been in the sport of triathlon for four years now, and continuing training for the upcoming fifth season. I've been on a Cervelo P1 for the past three years, but have recently sold it, and am now in the market for a new bike. Here's the deal though - I know, I know - get the bike that "fits". Forget about that for a second though - that's the easy answer...

My road bike is a 54cm, I bought the Cervelo used (it's a 56cm) - before I bought it I knew it was on the upper end of my height, but gave it a try anyway. How it was set up for the last guy did not work for me, as I could not stay aero for more than 5 min. I went and paid for a fitting 2-1/2 hours away, and came away with a bike that I could stay aero in for a long time.

I talked with a bike dealer through emails about bikes for my height and leg / torso structure. He recommended that I stay in the 54cm frame as it is easier to fit. The sizing chart on their website shows me at a 56cm bike - so I feel like I should be looking there. Long story short - I'm shopping for bikes, and there are so many beautiful bike makes and models, sizes, shapes, and colors. I know you're supposed to get the one that "fits" - but I kind of feel like that is a sham. Have you or someone you know bought a bike that they cannot for the life of them get to fit? Can't you get any bike to fit? I mean when you get down to it, a seat is a seat, aero bars are aero bars, and pedals are pedals - the seat moves up and down, and you can put stems on the aero bars to shorten or lengthen.

Correct?

I'd really like to know what you think, because the closest bike shop for triathlon bikes is 2-1/2 hours away. It's not like I can just make several trips all over the place to try and find a bike. Most likely I'll probably buy one from someone off the internet. Am I way off base?

Those of you who have bought bikes off the internet - did you get them to fit? Or how did you decide on your bike?

Thanks...

BTW:
5'10" with a shorter torso - I wear size 34" jeans, but I believe my actual inseam is like 32".

Edited by jayhawk_sean 2016-01-08 8:48 PM

2016-01-09 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: New Bike / Old Bike - Fit Size Question

Originally posted by jayhawk_sean

. . . I know, I know - get the bike that "fits". Forget about that for a second though - that's the easy answer...

. . . Can't you get any bike to fit? I mean when you get down to it, a seat is a seat, aero bars are aero bars, and pedals are pedals - the seat moves up and down, and you can put stems on the aero bars to shorten or lengthen.

Correct? 

A bike fit is a series of compromises.  The further you are from the optimal frame and geometry (stack/reach), the greater the compromises are going to be, taking away from aerodynamics, efficiency and comfort, thereby reducing power and speed.

Can you make any frame work?  Sure you can.  But why would you?  Because it's inconvenient to get the fit first?  If that was the way to do it, all the people at the pointy end would be doing it that way.

But hey, you can do it your way too.

Edited by k9car363 2016-01-09 8:45 AM

(tiny-bicycle.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tiny-bicycle.jpg (43KB - 7 downloads)
2016-01-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

What was the pad stack and reach of the bike that you could stay aero in for a long time?

You probably share some tweener fit coordinates between a 54 and 56 or M or L or whatever the bike companies want to call their sizes.  That stated, not all bikes fit the same although newer bikes from most manufacturers have tended to gravitate towards each other the last couple of years.  At your height, with your shorter reach, I'd bet you would be better off on a M or 54 with tall and narrow frame stack and reach.  Tall enough for you but the 54 or M would have a shorter reach.  I'd still recommend getting your optimal fit coordinates first and then finding the right bike.

2016-01-09 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I went and paid for a fitting 2-1/2 hours away, and came away with a bike that I could stay aero in for a long time.

If you have your fit info you should be able to find a bike that fits over the internet and pick your components to allow for adjustability.

Then you can find your compromises between power, comfort and aerodynamics.

BTW, I am same height and body type as you. I am on an old 56cm P2 and a M/L BMC TM01.
I am on a 54cm R3 road bike.

2016-01-09 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5160609

User image

Regular
Kansas
My fit was three years ago - I wonder if the bike shop would still have that in their database?

My thing is with a fit first bike second scenario is does the bike shop have a list of bikes in that category with parameters on the bike?

Thanks for the help.
2016-01-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

My fit was three years ago - I wonder if the bike shop would still have that in their database?

My thing is with a fit first bike second scenario is does the bike shop have a list of bikes in that category with parameters on the bike?

Thanks for the help.

not sure I 100% understand, but if they have your fit coordinates they have access to data to tell what bike also fit.

it's all based on stack and reach

http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/index.php

so for example, if you get fitted on a fit bike or you have your old fit coordinates, you can find bike that will fit.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-09 1:03 PM

2016-01-09 2:45 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
One concern I would have is that the fit to make your P1 work was quite a few compromises. If you had a frame that fit correct to start with you would probably have a different fit. Using the fit data from the P1 may very well end up duplicating prior compromises, rather than eliminating them by selecting a frame that actually fits you well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike / Old Bike - Fit Size Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Fit & Bike Size

Started by goirish1
Views: 1288 Posts: 9

2013-06-08 1:07 PM audiojan

New bike won't fit old rack

Started by djmtrier
Views: 928 Posts: 4

2013-04-26 1:07 PM popsracer

New Bike, Bike fit Questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1078 Posts: 8

2011-10-26 11:14 PM gzh6464

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3319 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

New bike, new pains, fit/aero questions

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1098 Posts: 4

2008-01-26 4:57 PM mman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : June 17, 2009
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.