Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-02-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Doping

Originally posted by 3mar The question is, does this frustrate anyone else?

Probably.  But not me.

2016-02-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by 3mar For a pro to find it laughable that an AGer would dope for nothing more than a hunk of metal, it is equally humorous to the average AGer making six figures to laugh at a pro doping to make $25k/year Here's an interesting article by Jesse Thomas on the big money of professional triathlon: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/features/things-know-turnin... To quote: "However, it is unlikely you’ll make a lot of money. Yes, there is a chance you’ll do great, but the odds are tough, and the slope is very slippery. Let’s make my college stats class worth it and assume there are roughly 100 men in the world who competed in Kona, 70.3 worlds and/or Hy-Vee. Here’s my rough guess at their triathlon-related income: About 20 of them make $200,000 or more (for a very select few, quite a bit more) About 20 of them make $100,000–$200,000 About 30 of them make $50,000–$100,000 The other 30 likely supplement with some other type of income."

I know quite a few pros.....but I don't know any who do it for the money.  They do it because they can. 

We can't.......and any amount of doping will not change that. 

So someone figured as many as1 /3 of AG'ers may dope....especially at an event like AG nationals?  Hell, my 15 year old kid finished 5th overall there.... he was doping with Capt. Crunch cereal and skittles.     Laughable and ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the goofballs in the AG ranks who dope.

I find it equally laughable that elites and pros do in this sport, so there you go. But like anything else, this is about competition...REGARDLESS of level. It's about competing with your peers. Cheating destroys that. Period. And that sucks.

We agree on that.....but like I said......the doping in the pro ranks of triathlon doesn't come close to the egomaniacs who cheat at the AG level.....and I'm going to laugh at them for the idiots they are.

Well, I could care less about the pros, I don't race against them. I care about the AGers, because that's who I race against. What inspires me, and many other AGers is continually moving up the ranks (regardless of how far down that scale lies). The idea of dopers derails that, and it's frustrating. The rest is a different world and other than going, "wow, that's a crazy fast bike split" it really doesn't affect me. The A-hole who knocks me off the podium by doping does.

Edit: I am NOT saying one of the guys that beat me at B2B is a doper. They probably aren't. The only reason I was close is becuase nobody good showed up. But they are out there, and there's a good chance I'm going to be beat by them at some point.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-04 3:04 PM
2016-02-04 3:12 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar For a pro to find it laughable that an AGer would dope for nothing more than a hunk of metal, it is equally humorous to the average AGer making six figures to laugh at a pro doping to make $25k/year Here's an interesting article by Jesse Thomas on the big money of professional triathlon: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/features/things-know-turnin... To quote: "However, it is unlikely you’ll make a lot of money. Yes, there is a chance you’ll do great, but the odds are tough, and the slope is very slippery. Let’s make my college stats class worth it and assume there are roughly 100 men in the world who competed in Kona, 70.3 worlds and/or Hy-Vee. Here’s my rough guess at their triathlon-related income: About 20 of them make $200,000 or more (for a very select few, quite a bit more) About 20 of them make $100,000–$200,000 About 30 of them make $50,000–$100,000 The other 30 likely supplement with some other type of income."

I know quite a few pros.....but I don't know any who do it for the money.  They do it because they can. 

So someone figured as many as1 /3 of AG'ers may dope....especially at an event like AG nationals?  Hell, my 15 year old kid finished 5th overall there.... he was doping with Capt. Crunch cereal and skittles.     Laughable and ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the goofballs in the AG ranks who dope.

I find it equally laughable that elites and pros do in this sport, so there you go. But like anything else, this is about competition...REGARDLESS of level. It's about competing with your peers. Cheating destroys that. Period. And that sucks.

We agree on that.....but like I said......the doping in the pro ranks of triathlon doesn't come close to the egomaniacs who cheat at the AG level.....and I'm going to laugh at them for the idiots they are.

Well, I could care less about the pros, I don't race against them. I care about the AGers, because that's who I race against. What inspires me, and many other AGers is continually moving up the ranks (regardless of how far down that scale lies). The idea of dopers derails that, and it's frustrating. The rest is a different world and other than going, "wow, that's a crazy fast bike split" it really doesn't affect me. The A-hole who knocks me off the podium by doping does. Edit: I am NOT saying one of the guys that beat me at B2B is a doper. They probably aren't. The only reason I was close is becuase nobody good showed up. But they are out there, and there's a good chance I'm going to be beat by them at some point.

The only thing I have learned from this thread is that with your personality you should definitely NOT dope......you would be chewing the paint off the walls. LOL

2016-02-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas

Well, I could care less about the pros, I don't race against them. I care about the AGers, because that's who I race against. What inspires me, and many other AGers is continually moving up the ranks (regardless of how far down that scale lies). The idea of dopers derails that, and it's frustrating. The rest is a different world and other than going, "wow, that's a crazy fast bike split" it really doesn't affect me. The A-hole who knocks me off the podium by doping does. Edit: I am NOT saying one of the guys that beat me at B2B is a doper. They probably aren't. The only reason I was close is becuase nobody good showed up. But they are out there, and there's a good chance I'm going to be beat by them at some point.

The only thing I have learned from this thread is that with your personality you should definitely NOT dope......you would be chewing the paint off the walls. LOL

Dude...I can barely hanlde a cup of coffee.
2016-02-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by LeegoocrapHell guys I knew in college took steroids because they thought it would get them laid more...  10 seconds on a wooden step...

Yeah, probably about the same.

2016-02-04 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Does it bother me? Not one whit. When I toe the start line, I'm racing everyone there, regardless of age, gender, or doping status. The results just happen to compare me with other competitors who are similar age and gender.

2016-02-04 5:44 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Only one thing stood out for me in this thread (besides the fact that some people should probably spend more time training instead of posting)....WTF is "motor doping"? Not actually sure I want to know, but now I am curious. The athlete's "motor", or actually putting a motor on the bike??

Anyway, I have "doped" on my morning peanut butter and caffeine and am headed off to the pool.
2016-02-04 6:12 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Only one thing stood out for me in this thread (besides the fact that some people should probably spend more time training instead of posting)....WTF is "motor doping"? Not actually sure I want to know, but now I am curious. The athlete's "motor", or actually putting a motor on the bike??

Anyway, I have "doped" on my morning peanut butter and caffeine and am headed off to the pool.

Hot Runner,
There was a recent case of a cyclist suspected of having an electric motor in her bike ( 23 and under cyclo cross event)... The term used .... Motor Doping ...
2016-02-04 6:27 PM

User image

Do you have a race coming up? You seem like you're tapering.
2016-02-05 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What inspires me, and many other AGers is continually moving up the ranks (regardless of how far down that scale lies).

For me, Improvements are far better measured with things other than where on the podium you end up.

I track my 1500m time, my FTP, my VDOT and I see how I can execute with them on a race day. Those are the only measures

If I swim 2 min faster, ride 25watts higher and run 2 min faster (HIM) and come 8th rather than 1st, I am happy.

2016-02-05 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Dude...I can barely hanlde a cup of coffee.
Did you ever stop and think that the person who came 5th is thinking that you're one of the dopers that has kept him off the podium?

You have said a few times that you don't know that position 1-3 do dope, you have made an assumption. You are frustrated by a conclusion you have come to with no evidence based on a flimsy article about some supposed "research".

The reality is people break the rules everywhere and in everything. If you spend your life worrying about what everyone else is doing then it will make you a very unhappy, suspicious person.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-02-05 7:00 AM

2016-02-05 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hope that your AG rivals, if they aren't in fact doping, don't read this! I've never to my knowledge been accused of doping (at least to my face) but in one case one of my AG rivals and her husband very publicly accused me of being much younger than the AG I had just won. (I've always looked young for my age, I'll admit. So does Mom, who's almost 80. Good genetics in that regard, plus hair dye!) They actually made the RD check my passport before I got my AG award. (No $ was involved either, just a little trophy and some merchandise worth maybe $50 max.) I've always made doubly sure to beat the crap out of that woman ever since.

ETA supposed to be a reply to the OP, not Stacey!

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-02-05 7:10 AM
2016-02-05 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

3mar loves to overanalyze which I find to be awesome!  He stirs up the pot here, often unknowingly, but it creates good conversation.

As to doping... it's far, far worse than anyone realizes here in the USA with AG'ers.  Not so much the high end stuff like EPO, HGH, or steroids, but the "Low-T" stuff.  Testosterone replacement therapy is so easy and so prevalent.

I would love for WTC to test the top 10 or 20 in each AG for IM's or 70.3's.  I think people would be shocked at how many positive tests come out of the MEN 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, and 55-59 groups for very elevated T levels.  I don't have anything to back it up but I'd wager my house that at a minimum 25% of the tests of the top 10 or 20 in those AG's are positive.  Mostly for T but a few will test positive for other stuff.

The issue lies in the fact these guys know they're not being tested.  So very little risk for a lot of reward.  Assuming Kona or 70.3 slots, standing on a box, and getting a stupid trophy is considered a reward.  I'm with Left Brain on this and find it absolutely laughable that anyone would cheat in the AG ranks.  I get cheating in the professional athlete ranks for any sport since there could be a lot of money on the line.  I don't condone it but I get it.  To be a 47 year old weekend warrior who cheats to get a slot to Kona or 70.3's is freakin' ridiculous.  Someone willing to do that is someone who cheats at life in general.  They're the people willing to cross that moral line in all facets of their life to include jobs and relationships.  They're not good people.

2016-02-05 7:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA

"wow, that's a crazy fast bike split"

• You should try to be a little more humble, you have been doing this for about a year. You just learned to ride a bike, you probably have not even been on a ride with someone crazy fast yet. Hell you don't even know what a hill is yet

I have seen your bike splits and they are not impressive, not saying your not getting better. However you seem to be flipping out because you not on the podium after a year in the sport.

Don't be-little people on money please. A free ride to college could be worth $60,000-$100,000 a year. That may not be a lot to you, but its a fortune to a 18 year kid. It's also more money than the average American will ever make in a year in their life.

So right now you sound like a pampered little 1%'er.
    2016-02-05 8:19 AM
    in reply to: mike761

User image

Elite
    Ontario

To answer the OP's question - I like to get on the podium in local races - it's unlikely I'll do it at a higher/more competitive level.  I recognize that there are folks cheating, either by doping, drafting, whatever, but I never consider that when racing.  If someone is ahead of me, it's cause they are faster than me - period.  You'll be a cynic in no time and just frustrated if you look at it any other way.

To Marc's point - if I had a better race based on my personal numbers, but still missed out on getting on the podium, I'm okay with that too.

2016-02-05 9:03 AM
    in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by mike761

• You should try to be a little more humble, you have been doing this for about a year. You just learned to ride a bike, you probably have not even been on a ride with someone crazy fast yet. Hell you don't even know what a hill is yet

I have seen your bike splits and they are not impressive, not saying your not getting better. However you seem to be flipping out because you not on the podium after a year in the sport.

Don't be-little people on money please. A free ride to college could be worth $60,000-$100,000 a year. That may not be a lot to you, but its a fortune to a 18 year kid. It's also more money than the average American will ever make in a year in their life.

Dude, my mom cleaned houses and raised my brother and I alone. We lived in battered women's shelters, single bedroom apartments with holes in the walls, you name it. I grew up in a crappy neighborhood, in a crappy town. Here's a picture of the house I lived in. We didn't have the whole house, just the second floor. It was a single bedroom that my mom, my brother and I shared. We had to sleep on ottomans pushed together because we couldn't afford a bed.

I worked 50+ hrs per week and put myself through college. It was hell. It also meant having to give up, what might have been a decent shot at swimming because I had to work through college instead of compete in athletics. It was 4 years of hell. I ended up drinking and smoking and doing all kinds of other crap in my 20's until I finally got over it. I'm successful now, but it's from hard work and through adversity you will never understand. Don't pretend to know someone.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Capture.JPG (170KB - 4 downloads)

2016-02-05 9:11 AM
    in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by GMAN 19030

He stirs up the pot here, often unknowingly,

It's not an accident

Lately this place should be called a chat bored, instead of chat board.
    2016-02-05 9:45 AM

Sarasota, Florida
    like marcag said I would just focus on your records. Dope skews your true performance and you can't control who shows up or who takes what (unless you're msteiner! lmao). Sure it's kind of a drag if it causes you to miss podium but unless you were competing for a purposeful gain why care? Imo if someone is willing to inject something into their body that costs thousands and increases risk of stroke by all means they can have it. A shiny medal and step aint worth all of that. I don't get the T thing cause I personally knew a guy on T and I would stomp his butt in endurance but he turned into a mythical hulk at the gym. Maybe it was the wrong kind? I think I would be flattered if someone accused me of doping though. Btw, that kind of looks like my old place.
    2016-02-05 10:07 AM
    in reply to: runtim23

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by runtim23

like marcag said I would just focus on your records. Dope skews your true performance and you can't control who shows up or who takes what (unless you're msteiner! lmao). Sure it's kind of a drag if it causes you to miss podium but unless you were competing for a purposeful gain why care? Imo if someone is willing to inject something into their body that costs thousands and increases risk of stroke by all means they can have it. A shiny medal and step aint worth all of that. I don't get the T thing cause I personally knew a guy on T and I would stomp his butt in endurance but he turned into a mythical hulk at the gym. Maybe it was the wrong kind? I think I would be flattered if someone accused me of doping though. Btw, that kind of looks like my old place.

Well maybe we were neighbors . Yeah, but were you one of those well off people that had the WHOLE house?

Some people are getting really riled up on this one. As noted, a couple of times, I don't necessarily think those guys were cheating. But what is pretty common knowledge is that there are A LOT of cheaters in this sport and the closer you get to the front, there are more of them. We all pay a lot of money to go to these events and compete. If you're not in it to compete, then why sign up and go to a race? Might as well save the money and time and just do it on your own. It's annoying is all. I'm allowed to be annoyed.

I've seen more people drafting than I can count. And that's just what we can see. When I did the Key West triathlon the last time it was really windy and I saw one of the top females on an out and back in the middle of a pack of four guys riding in formation. It was obvious that it was planned and they knew each other. So there is an athlete out there who finished 4th overall who could have likely been on the podium. That's annoying as heck. I didn't get her number so I couldn't report it, but drafting is SO prevalent. We all know there are a ton of cheats...a TON. So for myself or someone else to be annoyed, I think that's allowed.

More as a general comment; I'm not trying to belittle anyone. What bothers me is folks on here *ahem* LB *ahem* that act as though anyone not at the uber-elite level is a joke and shouldn't concern themselves with competition in any way, because they are in the trenches and unless you're vying for the number 1 slot of everything than it is moot. The point I was trying to make is that in this sport...we're ALL in the beer leagues, elites and pros included. Nobody outside of us give a hoot or a dollar about this sport. It's not right to discount the competitive side of anyone out there.
    2016-02-05 10:26 AM
    in reply to: #5165323

As someone just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus, I have to say a couple things: 1) nothing has changed, and 2) I continue to be amazed at how little people seem to care about cheaters.

While I get that this is just a hobby, just shrugging and saying "what can you do" or "I just race to improve myself" about cheaters, be it drafting, doping, cutting course, whatever, does so much bad for the sport long term.

Let's at least be honest, if all you want to do is race against yourself and improve your own personal time regardless of how you stack against others, there is no point in actually paying to race at a produced race. NONE. That's why I never bothered for the last 15 years.... Why pay 700 bucks to run an iron man when I can just go to the pool, ocean, wherever, then ride, then run the same distances all for free?

We enter races to COMPETE. Deny it all you want, but that's the truth deep down. So why let people who devalue the sport and the work.you put in just slide? Can we catch them? Almost certainly not, but we can damn sure make them feel ashamed.

People SHOULD get ticked at the idea of people cheating.
    2016-02-05 10:41 AM

Sarasota, Florida
    Originally posted by davejustdave

As someone just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus, I have to say a couple things: 1) nothing has changed, and 2) I continue to be amazed at how little people seem to care about cheaters.

While I get that this is just a hobby, just shrugging and saying "what can you do" or "I just race to improve myself" about cheaters, be it drafting, doping, cutting course, whatever, does so much bad for the sport long term.

Let's at least be honest, if all you want to do is race against yourself and improve your own personal time regardless of how you stack against others, there is no point in actually paying to race at a produced race. NONE. That's why I never bothered for the last 15 years.... Why pay 700 bucks to run an iron man when I can just go to the pool, ocean, wherever, then ride, then run the same distances all for free?

We enter races to COMPETE. Deny it all you want, but that's the truth deep down. So why let people who devalue the sport and the work.you put in just slide? Can we catch them? Almost certainly not, but we can damn sure make them feel ashamed.

People SHOULD get ticked at the idea of people cheating.

You have a point. I think there are many other reasons people race. In fact I have done many sprints on my own but I plan to sign up for 2-3 races this year and my reasons are safety, I don't want to bore myself swimming and running monotonous laps in front of people in case something goes wrong, charity, the experience, the formality and adrenaline gives me a harder push, camaraderie and competition, you're supporting the hobby by registering and sometimes road trips are just fun. Doping doesn't bother me personally, but I suppose it should for the sake of those that have a fair shot at the sport.

Edited by runtim23 2016-02-05 10:42 AM

2016-02-05 10:42 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by mike761

Dude, my mom cleaned houses and raised my brother and I alone. We lived in battered women's shelters, single bedroom apartments with holes in the walls, you name it. I grew up in a crappy neighborhood, in a crappy town. Here's a picture of the house I lived in. We didn't have the whole house, just the second floor. It was a single bedroom that my mom, my brother and I shared. We had to sleep on ottomans pushed together because we couldn't afford a bed.

I worked 50+ hrs per week and put myself through college. It was hell. It also meant having to give up, what might have been a decent shot at swimming because I had to work through college instead of compete in athletics. It was 4 years of hell. I ended up drinking and smoking and doing all kinds of other crap in my 20's until I finally got over it. I'm successful now, but it's from hard work and through adversity you will never understand. Don't pretend to know someone.

Didn't say I knew you, but read what you wrote and read what wrote. Your dismissing $100,000's as a poor incentive to cheating, when in reality people do much worse for a lot less money every day.

FYI- your not the only one that had to work your way through college.
    2016-02-05 12:03 PM
    in reply to: #5165323

Re: safety as a reason for signing up for a produced event: I had not considered that as a potential reason. Maybe because I'm so comfy in the water as a former swimmer, LG, etc. but I know most people are not as secure there.

I actually feel less safe in races for the bike segment than I do while training. I've been taken out by overzealous people with poor bike handling skills too many times in the past in races (crits mostly, to be fair) to feel safe.

Your point is a fair one though.

2016-02-05 8:15 PM
    in reply to: davejustdave

Doping does not bother me as much as drafting in races. Doping happens behind the curtains I just assume they trained harder than me or have more "talent"than me.

I think the drafting bothers me more because I can see people doing it. The last 1/2 IM I did I chased and passed 2 guys in my age group they were both wearing the same kit and where continually 6-8 inches of each others wheels. In reality I would not care normally but I was busting my a$$ trying for a 24 mph split and here are two friends switching leads.

I have witnessed pace lines form in Ironman races MOP at some point there are just to many bodies on the road.

Doping/drafting whatever it is incentive to push myself harder and suffer a little more.
    2016-02-05 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I'm successful now, but it's from hard work and through adversity you will never understand. Don't pretend to know someone.

Intentional irony?

Shane
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doping Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Latest doping scandal has "old school" flavor.

Started by gullahcracker
    Views: 1070 Posts: 5

2006-07-05 10:09 AM hangloose

Doping controls in Pro Triathlon

Started by kenail
    Views: 613 Posts: 2

2006-06-30 9:27 AM running2far

AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping

Started by huengsolo
    Views: 804 Posts: 6

2006-06-01 9:56 AM huengsolo

UCI has no doping evidence against Armstrong