General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports hangover Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-19 11:14 AM

User image

spokane, WA
Subject: Sports hangover
Hi, Has anyone had a sports hangover? I've never been drunk so I am guessing this is what a hangover feels like. About an hour after my race I was really warm and my head felt like it was going to explode. I felt like tossing my cookies. My vision was all wavy. Does this happen to anyone else? My race was a blast anyway. I am still waiting for my times and then I will post my results. This was the first year of the valley girl and they have a lot of kinks to work out. There were a LOT of people drafting on the bike and I don't think anyone got docked for it and this was a usat event. I had to pass three bikes at a time because they wouldn't seperate. I better not get docked. I had one girl move my stuff out of the way so she could put her bike at the end. Talk about unsportsman like. They only had one water station on the run. We were dying of thirst. But wait, this isn't about my race this is about the sports hangover, Anyone?
Kim

2004-07-19 11:46 AM
in reply to: #38568

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sports hangover
Congrats on your race, glad you had a blast!

I too have experienced hangover-like symptoms after training and events. Rode a century yeasterday and had a major headache on the way home, still have some remnants of it today, also queasiness. I think it has to do with blood glucose levels, either too low from glycogen depletion or too high from all the Gatorade, gells, and M&Ms I consumed.
2004-07-19 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
It's a real bummer that people weren't racing by the rules, but I'm glad it went well nonetheless.

Anyway, the symptoms you just talked about usually happen to me right when I stop at the finish line. In an hour or so, my stomach is in knots still, but there's no other discomfort otherwise. Make sure you're recovering and refueling properly afterward, because I would hate to have those feelings an hour after finishing. Yikes.

-dave
2004-07-19 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
I've had this too, once it was so extreme that I went straight to bed, and it wasn't even a terribly hard workout. It was, however, at the end of a rather hard training week.

I looked it up once on the Interenet and for me it looked like it could have been sodium depletion, but thats 100% guesswork. I wasn't dehydrated b/c I weighed myself and was fine. Again tho, guesswork. I've made a point of keeping up my gatorade when workign out tho and it hasn't happened since. I have no way of knowing if that's a cause/effect relationship though!

Cindy

Cindy
2004-07-19 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I sometimes feel woozy after a race or a hard training session, especially after swimming when I get bad headaches. Another weird phenomenon is huge protein cravings. The evening after a race, I could eat a llama.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports hangover Rss Feed