Other Resources The Political Joe » Democratic Party,,,,, NOT very democratic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-16 7:08 PM

User image

Subject: Democratic Party,,,,, NOT very democratic

I know I saw this or a reference to this in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread. So after two states have voted in the DNC primary, Hilary barley squeaks out a win by a narrow margin in IA and gets beat like a red headed step child in NH and it's this close 394 delegates for Hillary and Bernie is leading with, oh, no wait, no Bernie only has 44.delegates? How can this be? This is the party that stands for fairness, yet, this is them leading by example, or not. Democracy, it doesn't look like it to me.

Please defend this if you can Democrats? 

Non D types, what do you think of this?

Edited by crusevegas 2016-02-16 7:10 PM

2016-02-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Democratic Party,,,,, NOT very democratic
Meh.

If it meant keeping Cruz and Trump out of the White House, I'd sign up for ritual human sacrifice as part of the nomination process.
2016-02-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Meh. If it meant keeping Cruz and Trump out of the White House, I'd sign up for ritual human sacrifice as part of the nomination process.

Are you offering yourself up as the sacrifice?

2016-02-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate

... is why.  Fair?  Maybe, maybe not.  But keep in mind that a primary is just a choosing process done within the confines of one party.  So if you want those superdelegates, you need to play ball with what the party wants and walk the party line.  In this case, that's not Sanders, who until last year was happy to call himself an independent.
The total count without those right now is Hillary 32, Sanders 36.

Edited by spudone 2016-02-16 9:28 PM
2016-02-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate

... is why.  Fair?  Maybe, maybe not.  But keep in mind that a primary is just a choosing process done within the confines of one party.  So if you want those superdelegates, you need to play ball with what the party wants and walk the party line.  In this case, that's not Sanders, who until last year was happy to call himself an independent.
The total count without those right now is Hillary 32, Sanders 36.

I wish I hadn't used the word fair in my OP. I was wanting to focus on the term democracy. It comes across to me as hypocritical that the party called democrats play off their primaries as a "democratic" process. 

2016-02-17 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by crusevegas

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Meh. If it meant keeping Cruz and Trump out of the White House, I'd sign up for ritual human sacrifice as part of the nomination process.

Meanwhile, your entire GOP house is in flames, burning to the ground, the giant propane tank that is Donald Trump is on the verge of exploding, reducing your home to splinters, and you are, in effect, looking over the fence and criticizing your neighbor because their lawn is a little unkempt.

2016-02-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Meanwhile, your entire GOP house is in flames, burning to the ground, the giant propane tank that is Donald Trump is on the verge of exploding, reducing your home to splinters, and you are, in effect, looking over the fence and criticizing your neighbor because their lawn is a little unkempt.

I don't think the people who tend to vote GOP are in a house that's burning.  I think the establishment in the GOP is already running for their lives, but not the voters......and I think there is a difference.

I don't know if it will translate into votes and the Presidency or not.....that remains to be seen......but I think you may underestimate a very large segment of the population who is tired of being told there is something wrong with them.  They're tired of the constant protests and PC that everyone feels they are entitled to these days.  If they do actually go vote it could bear a result that you don't see coming.

2016-02-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't think the people who tend to vote GOP are in a house that's burning.  I think the establishment in the GOP is already running for their lives, but not the voters......and I think there is a difference.

I don't know if it will translate into votes and the Presidency or not.....that remains to be seen......but I think you may underestimate a very large segment of the population who is tired of being told there is something wrong with them.  They're tired of the constant protests and PC that everyone feels they are entitled to these days.  If they do actually go vote it could bear a result that you don't see coming.

Maybe. The article I posted from the LA times quoted someone who said he was "voting with his middle finger". The thing is, I don't think any of those people voted Democratic in either of the last two elections. So it is largely a fracture within the GOP, one that I think will push a lot of left-leaning republicans towards the Democratic Party. If the choice is a religious zealot like Cruz or an unpredictable prima donna like Trump, either Hillary or Sanders look pretty good by comparison.
2016-02-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Maybe. The article I posted from the LA times quoted someone who said he was "voting with his middle finger". The thing is, I don't think any of those people voted Democratic in either of the last two elections. So it is largely a fracture within the GOP, one that I think will push a lot of left-leaning republicans towards the Democratic Party. If the choice is a religious zealot like Cruz or an unpredictable prima donna like Trump, either Hillary or Sanders look pretty good by comparison.

While I agree on Cruz......and I see no way he could win the Presidency, I don't agree with Trump.  The fact that he is an outsider, is willing to bash the media (lord knows they've got it coming), and doesn't seem to care who he offends, resonates with people who don't feel like they have a voice right now.  The loudest  voices are coming from the left in the form of protests, etc.........but there is a very large segment of the population who is sitting back, with really nothing to protest about, watching business as usual from politicians and the media, thinking their time is coming to be heard. (the media won't even cover them because they are so afraid of Trump getting elected)  I have no idea if there is enough of them to help elect a President, but it'll be interesting.

And I think there are plenty of Democrats who won't vote for the liar.....at least among the Dems I know.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-17 12:14 PM
2016-02-17 5:10 PM

User image

Just for background: I routinely vote split-ticket after researching my ballot & don't consider myself tied to any party.

To answer your question: Superdelegate angst is much ado about nothing.

You have to remember the superdelegates have not actually voted yet. Superdelegate math is fake math right now. The superdelegates who have announced their intentions are doing nothing more than giving an endorsement at this point...just like the UAW or NRA might back a certain candidate to try to persuade voters to do the same.

If the general voters rally behind Sanders & he wins a majority of the pledged delegates, the superdelegates will fall in line. The superdelegates who hold elected office will vote for the winning nominee or for whoever their district/state voted for (for fear of being voted out of office) & the majority of the rest won't risk turning voters against the party in the general election.

The superdelegates shouldn't play a role this year unless something catastrophic happens (medical/legal/etc) to the presumptive nominee before the convention takes place.
2016-02-17 10:41 PM

User image

Elite

I know I saw this or a reference to this in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread. So after two states have voted in the DNC primary, Hilary barley squeaks out a win by a narrow margin in IA and gets beat like a red headed step child in NH and it's this close 394 delegates for Hillary and Bernie is leading with, oh, no wait, no Bernie only has 44.delegates? How can this be? This is the party that stands for fairness, yet, this is them leading by example, or not. Democracy, it doesn't look like it to me.

Hey Cruse, it's the Party system. Just google what the RNC did after Ron Paul's strong showing a few years back. Rules got changed to make it less likely an outsider could succeed. I'm really not making it up. Check it out. Both parties do it.
Just watch...Trump or Cruz may have more votes in the primaries/caucuses, but just watch, dollars to doughnuts an establishment candidate will be the GOP nominee coming out of that convention. My money's on Rubio.
I'm not saying it's right, it just is what it is.

2016-02-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Hey Cruse, it's the Party system. Just google what the RNC did after Ron Paul's strong showing a few years back. Rules got changed to make it less likely an outsider could succeed. I'm really not making it up. Check it out. Both parties do it. Just watch...Trump or Cruz may have more votes in the primaries/caucuses, but just watch, dollars to doughnuts an establishment candidate will be the GOP nominee coming out of that convention. My money's on Rubio. I'm not saying it's right, it just is what it is.

So, if one party does it are you saying it's not big deal so long as the other party does it to? 

Not being a member of either party and one who thinks the core of both parties is the root of our nations ills. It truly disturbs me who they are able to manipulates the game and nobody gives a ##@&&. 

2016-02-23 6:51 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

In reality the primary process isn't a democratic process.  The democratic process is the election in November where we get to choose who we want (from the nominees).

The parties do have their primaries to get an idea of who the people want to run, but similar to the talk of a "brokered convention" on the Republican side they could ignore a majority Trump vote and nominate Sarah Palin (for JMK).  It's kind of weird and I agree it's not very democratic but it is what it is.

Now from a blowback standpoint if Trump gets a significant majority of delegates and they try to usurp him, there will be big problems because there's no way his supporters get behind somebody else and he'll likely go third party.  I feel this is why he keeps tossing out there the idea of running third party to simply keep the RNC in line.

Historically, the primary process has been similar to WWE.  There's a big show with lots of ups and downs, but the winner was selected before it ever got started.  However, in 2004 Obama came in from the top ropes and wiped out the "pick" and Trump is schlonging the field on the RNC side this year.  Vince McMahon is not going to be happy.

2016-02-23 6:53 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Hey Cruse, it's the Party system. Just google what the RNC did after Ron Paul's strong showing a few years back. Rules got changed to make it less likely an outsider could succeed. I'm really not making it up. Check it out. Both parties do it. Just watch...Trump or Cruz may have more votes in the primaries/caucuses, but just watch, dollars to doughnuts an establishment candidate will be the GOP nominee coming out of that convention. My money's on Rubio. I'm not saying it's right, it just is what it is.

Your guy Rubio better start winning some states if he is going to win.  It's kinda tough to get the nomination through technicalities when your support is in single digits and you don't win a single state primary.  hehe
I can't wait to see you have to type "President Trump" when this is all over.     

2016-02-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

In reality the primary process isn't a democratic process.  The democratic process is the election in November where we get to choose who we want (from the nominees).

Agreed on the Primary process, for both. I disagree that the presidential election is democratic. For instance when a strong 3rd party candidate runs it's quite likely that 40ish% can pick the president, not a majority of the people, It's quite possible a higher percentage of the people would prefer one of the other two than who was actually elected. 

The parties do have their primaries to get an idea of who the people want to run, but similar to the talk of a "brokered convention" on the Republican side they could ignore a majority Trump vote and nominate Sarah Palin (for JMK).  It's kind of weird and I agree it's not very democratic but it is what it is.

Now from a blowback standpoint if Trump gets a significant majority of delegates and they try to usurp him, there will be big problems because there's no way his supporters get behind somebody else and he'll likely go third party.  I feel this is why he keeps tossing out there the idea of running third party to simply keep the RNC in line.

Which is what prompted my OP on how close the votes have been and how far ahead Billary was in front of Bernie.

That would certainly be fun to watch though. 

Historically, the primary process has been similar to WWE.  There's a big show with lots of ups and downs, but the winner was selected before it ever got started.  However, in 2004 Obama came in from the top ropes and wiped out the "pick" and Trump is schlonging the field on the RNC side this year.  Vince McMahon is not going to be happy.

I've gotten to the point where I'm concerned about our country but yet to the point where I almost don't care what happens. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Democratic Party,,,,, NOT very democratic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Democratic debate Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 5668 Posts: 80

2015-12-20 5:31 PM Left Brain

Eric Cantor defeated by TEA Party rival Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 3641 Posts: 53

2014-07-01 4:29 PM tuwood

Run or Dye race not actually happening?

Started by lkct01234
Views: 887 Posts: 2

2014-05-02 9:07 AM chirunner134

IRS To Tea Party: Sorry We Targeted You And Your Tax Status Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by DanielG
Views: 8191 Posts: 95

2013-07-19 12:03 PM tuwood

Ricin Guy - TEA Party Member Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4861 Posts: 46

2013-04-24 10:53 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : May 6, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on increasing your swim pace, free golf, bilateral breathing, paddle or fin usage, to kick or not to kick, dizziness, ocean swims and sighting.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.