of 4

2016-02-22 12:55 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: whats going on in the arctic

Originally posted by tuwood

I never quite understood it either.  Even from an economics standpoint it's cheaper to get traditional drilled oil out of the ground versus the fracking process.  I suspect the fracking growth is related to some government regulation making it impossible to dig new wells, but allowing fracking.  I don't know, just guessing.

Fortunately the low oil prices are kind of "fixing" the fracking problem for us.  It costs more to get it out of the ground than what they can sell it for.  That's a sure fire way to stop it.  hah

Once you have a lease you can do whatever you want to get the gas out.  No evil government regulations.  The reason they don't just dig more wells is that more wells won't do anything.  The gas that is recovered from fracking is locked up in shale, so it doesn't matter how many wells you dig, it's going to stay stuck in the rock unless you frack it.  When you frack, you dig a well and inject millions of gallons of water along with a whole bunch of chemicals and sand.  It fractures the rock and the sand keeps the tiny fractures open, allowing the gas to escape.  Some of the shale gas is from new plays (like the Marcellus in the mid-atlantic), but a lot of it is from plays where conventionally drilled fields have gone dry.

2016-02-22 1:16 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by drewb8

Originally posted by Justin86

Well, I'm going to bring a few new issues to the table.  As a scientist myself, someone who focuses on water and water quality related issues.  If you'd also like I can send you a copy of my most recent publication of my own personal research.

The water we have today is NOT cleaner.  There may not be the macroscopic contamination of it, but trust me the water is still very contaminated.  We are dealing with what we like to call 'emerging contaminates' things such as artificial sweeteners, birth control, pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical metabolites, triclosan (think instant sanitizer) just to name a few.  These things are showing up in our surface waters and well waters.  At alarmingly high concentrations (some into the ppb range).  These are not removed in conventional treatment systems.  For either water treatment or wastewater treatment.

http://search.proquest.com/openview/3a467aa1ef048386df13e6198a429a34/1?pq-origsite=gscholar

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es202404c

Now we could move onto nutrient loading.  We are pouring nutrients, namely phosphorus into our water ways.  Fish kills, algae blooms, eutrophication, it's a snowball effect.  But anytime someone tries to enact a regulation they are 'anti-business'

Guess what - get your soil tested, by a lab, not a lawn care company.  I can almost guarantee you that you don't need to add any phosphorus to it. 

We are destroying our water supplies.  We may not be able to 'see it' like we could with things like the love canal but the result will be the same.  In my opinion this is a bigger threat then climate change.

XX

One of the interesting things is that we're actually running out of phosphorus.  The only source for it is mines and P deposits are pretty limited so there's real concerns for agriculture in a few decades when we run out of it.  It sounds like it might be possible to reclaim it from waste water and whatnot except that we haven't developed the technology yet.  We assume the technology is possible but we probably won't find out for sure until the easy P is gone.

I work in air quality and N enrichment issues so I share your concern about nutrient enrichment and eutrophication.  I'm guessing you're familiar with the Science papers on planetary boundaries where they discuss the dangers of crossing the lines on nutrient enrichment.  But the reason I worry about it less than climate change is that nutrient enrichment is reversible.  When N enrichment is reduced we generally see recovery in ecosystems within a few decades, though it varies from place to place and there is some debate about what recovery means.  But what we're doing to the climate now is a one way street.  Humans are responsible for 95%+ of the warming we are experiencing now.  There are no natural forcings that can explain anything close to the magnitude we're seeing.  And even if emissions dropped to zero today (which obviously we're not going to do) we've already baked another 1* or so of warming in.  The lifetime of CO2 in the atmosphere is on the order of millennia, so whatever warming we add now is going to stay with us for a long, long time  (yes CO2 fertilization increases plant growth, but plants also need water and moderate temperatures to grow and the research now points to there being an overall loss of biomass).

Like leftbrain said, the earth is going to be just fine, even if humans won't.  I think that water and air quality are bigger threats to us in the near term , but we haven't even reached the opening act of climate change yet.  We're still on the page in the book where they tell you who published it and when the copyright is and some weird numbers.  As I mentioned, not only is it non-reversible for all intents and purposes, but, as the US military says in their analysis of climate change, it's a threat multiplier.  It's going to exacerbate the water and air quality problems we already have and make the even more difficult to deal with.

BTW - interesting about the sanitizer in the water.  I've heard about pharmaceuticals and such, but I didn't know that stuff stays in as well.

Great points there.

I do strongly believe in our contribution to global warming.  Something that I want to do more research on is not just with CO2 but with methane.  There are huge deposits of partially decayed organic matter in the permafrost in the arctic.  I have seen this mentioned around before, but haven't read to much into it.  If permafrost thaws, and large amounts of CH4 are released I think it could have a disastrous synergistic effect on the warming of our earth with our current human contributions.  

But like you said LB is right (damn that man!) The earth will go on and recover, with our with out us.

I'd just like to be there for it.

2016-02-22 2:05 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well, I'm going to bring a few new issues to the table.  As a scientist myself, someone who focuses on water and water quality related issues.  If you'd also like I can send you a copy of my most recent publication of my own personal research.

The water we have today is NOT cleaner.  There may not be the macroscopic contamination of it, but trust me the water is still very contaminated.  We are dealing with what we like to call 'emerging contaminates' things such as artificial sweeteners, birth control, pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical metabolites, triclosan (think instant sanitizer) just to name a few.  These things are showing up in our surface waters and well waters.  At alarmingly high concentrations (some into the ppb range).  These are not removed in conventional treatment systems.  For either water treatment or wastewater treatment.

http://search.proquest.com/openview/3a467aa1ef048386df13e6198a429a34/1?pq-origsite=gscholar

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es202404c

Now we could move onto nutrient loading.  We are pouring nutrients, namely phosphorus into our water ways.  Fish kills, algae blooms, eutrophication, it's a snowball effect.  But anytime someone tries to enact a regulation they are 'anti-business'

Guess what - get your soil tested, by a lab, not a lawn care company.  I can almost guarantee you that you don't need to add any phosphorus to it. 

We are destroying our water supplies.  We may not be able to 'see it' like we could with things like the love canal but the result will be the same.  In my opinion this is a bigger threat then climate change.

XX

One of the interesting things is that we're actually running out of phosphorus.  The only source for it is mines and P deposits are pretty limited so there's real concerns for agriculture in a few decades when we run out of it.  It sounds like it might be possible to reclaim it from waste water and whatnot except that we haven't developed the technology yet.  We assume the technology is possible but we probably won't find out for sure until the easy P is gone.

I work in air quality and N enrichment issues so I share your concern about nutrient enrichment and eutrophication.  I'm guessing you're familiar with the Science papers on planetary boundaries where they discuss the dangers of crossing the lines on nutrient enrichment.  But the reason I worry about it less than climate change is that nutrient enrichment is reversible.  When N enrichment is reduced we generally see recovery in ecosystems within a few decades, though it varies from place to place and there is some debate about what recovery means.  But what we're doing to the climate now is a one way street.  Humans are responsible for 95%+ of the warming we are experiencing now.  There are no natural forcings that can explain anything close to the magnitude we're seeing.  And even if emissions dropped to zero today (which obviously we're not going to do) we've already baked another 1* or so of warming in.  The lifetime of CO2 in the atmosphere is on the order of millennia, so whatever warming we add now is going to stay with us for a long, long time  (yes CO2 fertilization increases plant growth, but plants also need water and moderate temperatures to grow and the research now points to there being an overall loss of biomass).

Like leftbrain said, the earth is going to be just fine, even if humans won't.  I think that water and air quality are bigger threats to us in the near term , but we haven't even reached the opening act of climate change yet.  We're still on the page in the book where they tell you who published it and when the copyright is and some weird numbers.  As I mentioned, not only is it non-reversible for all intents and purposes, but, as the US military says in their analysis of climate change, it's a threat multiplier.  It's going to exacerbate the water and air quality problems we already have and make the even more difficult to deal with.

BTW - interesting about the sanitizer in the water.  I've heard about pharmaceuticals and such, but I didn't know that stuff stays in as well.

Great points there.

I do strongly believe in our contribution to global warming.  Something that I want to do more research on is not just with CO2 but with methane.  There are huge deposits of partially decayed organic matter in the permafrost in the arctic.  I have seen this mentioned around before, but haven't read to much into it.  If permafrost thaws, and large amounts of CH4 are released I think it could have a disastrous synergistic effect on the warming of our earth with our current human contributions.  

But like you said LB is right (damn that man!) The earth will go on and recover, with our with out us.

I'd just like to be there for it.

One thing I do find amazing, regardless of what's causing the warming, is how our planet adapts.  Whether it's the oceans pulling in heat, the plants drawing CO2 out of the air, the water vapor counteracting etc.  It's simply astonishing for me and gives me a greater desire to learn more.

2016-02-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

1st, I didn't read all the replies. 

2nd this is an easy one, the same thing that got us out of the ice age, the ice is melting because it's not a Freaking cold as it used to be there. 

3rd This used to be my tag line but it was too "political" If it wasn't for Global Warming, we'd still be in the Ice Age. 

The earth has been going through changes since the dawn of time, The Big Island is still making new real estate. I heard somewhere that part of the continental US was once covered by the oceans, though I don't know that for fact. 

2016-02-22 9:50 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crusevegas

2nd this is an easy one, the same thing that got us out of the ice age, the ice is melting because it's not a Freaking cold as it used to be there. 

3rd This used to be my tag line but it was too "political" If it wasn't for Global Warming, we'd still be in the Ice Age. 

The earth has been going through changes since the dawn of time, The Big Island is still making new real estate. I heard somewhere that part of the continental US was once covered by the oceans, though I don't know that for fact. 

The funny thing about temperature data is that we genuinely only have somewhat reliable data for the past 30 years or so.  I would counter that we really only have reliable data for the last 15-20 years because that's when the satellite data started rolling in.  Remember, we have historical surface temperature data for a planet that's covered in 71% water.  

Here's a quote from Jo Nova, who is a popular Australian climate researcher and scientist when the July 2015 was being spouted all over the interwebs as the hottest month "ever".
“Better data shows July this year is the hottest since way back in … 2014. It’s not 4,000 years, not 135 years, it’s the hottest July since the last one,” ... 
“We only have 30 years of good climate data: the satellites tell us the pause is real, and last month’s summer temperatures is not a record anything. According to the UAH and RSS global satellites, lower troposphere averages for July 2014 were 0.30C and 0.34C, compared to July 2015 of 0.28C. Even June 2015 was hotter (UAH, 0.35C; RSS, 0.39C). July 2015 is not even the hottest month since June.” (http://joannenova.com.au/2015/08/hottest-july-in-4000-years-not-even-the-hottest-july-since-2014-according-to-satellites/)

There's no question the earth has been a lot colder, with ice ages.  There's no question the earth has been a lot hotter (tropical fossils in antarctica).  These events occurred before man was roaming the planet, so I am going to have a hard time blaming AGC & AGW for those.

2016-02-22 10:36 PM

User image

The funny thing about temperature data is that we genuinely only have somewhat reliable data for the past 30 years or so.  I would counter that we really only have reliable data for the last 15-20 years because that's when the satellite data started rolling in.  Remember, we have historical surface temperature data for a planet that's covered in 71% water.  

Here's a quote from Jo Nova, who is a popular Australian climate researcher and scientist when the July 2015 was being spouted all over the interwebs as the hottest month "ever".
“Better data shows July this year is the hottest since way back in … 2014. It’s not 4,000 years, not 135 years, it’s the hottest July since the last one,” ... 
“We only have 30 years of good climate data: the satellites tell us the pause is real, and last month’s summer temperatures is not a record anything. According to the UAH and RSS global satellites, lower troposphere averages for July 2014 were 0.30C and 0.34C, compared to July 2015 of 0.28C. Even June 2015 was hotter (UAH, 0.35C; RSS, 0.39C). July 2015 is not even the hottest month since June.” (http://joannenova.com.au/2015/08/hottest-july-in-4000-years-not-even-the-hottest-july-since-2014-according-to-satellites/)

There's no question the earth has been a lot colder, with ice ages.  There's no question the earth has been a lot hotter (tropical fossils in antarctica).  These events occurred before man was roaming the planet, so I am going to have a hard time blaming AGC & AGW for those.

I was going to go to bed, but f that, I'm making some popcorn and getting a beer! 

This is gonna get good.

2016-02-23 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yes, much of the continental US was once covered by water. Google is your friend here as usual. So easy to do a quick search. Or, go out and look at some naturally occurring rocks in your area. If they sandstone or limestone or other sedimentary rock, water once covered your area, usually in the form of a salt water sea or ocean.

I opened my local paper to an article entitled "Seas are rising way faster than any time in past 2,800 years".

http://www.startribune.com/seas-are-rising-way-faster-than-any-time...

Pretty soon Nevada may once again be covered by a shallow sea! Don't sell that real estate yet!
2016-02-23 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was going to go to bed, but f that, I'm making some popcorn and getting a beer! 

This is gonna get good.

lol, I doubt it.  We've gone back and forth on this one several times in the past and nothings really changed.

In all seriousness it's a hard thing to "see".  We have an overall warming trend in the planet that's stretched over millions of years.  Within that warming trend there are many smaller warming and cooling trends, with even more warming and cooling short term spikes and valleys.  We're measuring the last 20 years with highly accurate satellite data and essentially reading tree rings and other methods for historical.  Our historical over the last 500-1000 years could be wildly wrong in the near term swings, and roughly accurate on the long term trends.  Even our modern surface temperature data is off quite a fair amount from the satellite data. 

2016-02-23 9:55 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

Yes, much of the continental US was once covered by water. Google is your friend here as usual. So easy to do a quick search. Or, go out and look at some naturally occurring rocks in your area. If they sandstone or limestone or other sedimentary rock, water once covered your area, usually in the form of a salt water sea or ocean. I opened my local paper to an article entitled "Seas are rising way faster than any time in past 2,800 years". http://www.startribune.com/seas-are-rising-way-faster-than-any-time... Pretty soon Nevada may once again be covered by a shallow sea! Don't sell that real estate yet!

I'll check out their paper, but I do often wonder how we can take satellite data today and compare it to geological averaged historical data and compare it as though it's accurate to within fractions of an inch.

The number one source of sea levels rising and falling is the temperature of the water (water expands), so it certainly makes sense that it's increasing.  I do tend to roll my eyes at the doom and gloom statements such as Nevada being covered by a shallow sea because it's no different than a religious dude standing on the corner screaming "the end is near, repent"?

2016-02-23 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yes, much of the continental US was once covered by water. Google is your friend here as usual. So easy to do a quick search. Or, go out and look at some naturally occurring rocks in your area. If they sandstone or limestone or other sedimentary rock, water once covered your area, usually in the form of a salt water sea or ocean. I opened my local paper to an article entitled "Seas are rising way faster than any time in past 2,800 years". http://www.startribune.com/seas-are-rising-way-faster-than-any-time... Pretty soon Nevada may once again be covered by a shallow sea! Don't sell that real estate yet!

I'll check out their paper, but I do often wonder how we can take satellite data today and compare it to geological averaged historical data and compare it as though it's accurate to within fractions of an inch.

The number one source of sea levels rising and falling is the temperature of the water (water expands), so it certainly makes sense that it's increasing.  I do tend to roll my eyes at the doom and gloom statements such as Nevada being covered by a shallow sea because it's no different than a religious dude standing on the corner screaming "the end is near, repent"?

Joke Tony, that last part was a joke.

I assume by "water expands" you mean water expands ever so slightly as it warms. Fresh water is most dense at around 39 F, which accounts for thermoclines in larger bodies of water and for a lake "turning over" if it gets cold enough. I don't think you can say with certainty that water temp increase is the number one reason for sea levels rising versus land ice melting as the science is mixed on that. Let's say to keep it simple that it is a 50 - 50 split, Also, for clarity sake, melting sea ice, like the Arctic Ocean, does not add to sea levels rising as that ice is already accounted for in current levels - think of ice in a glass as it melts. It is LAND ice melting that adds to sea levels rising, like ice on the Antarctic continent or glaciers or the large ice sheet on top of Greenland that is rapidly disappearing.
2016-02-23 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Joke Tony, that last part was a joke. I assume by "water expands" you mean water expands ever so slightly as it warms. Fresh water is most dense at around 39 F, which accounts for thermoclines in larger bodies of water and for a lake "turning over" if it gets cold enough. I don't think you can say with certainty that water temp increase is the number one reason for sea levels rising versus land ice melting as the science is mixed on that. Let's say to keep it simple that it is a 50 - 50 split, Also, for clarity sake, melting sea ice, like the Arctic Ocean, does not add to sea levels rising as that ice is already accounted for in current levels - think of ice in a glass as it melts. It is LAND ice melting that adds to sea levels rising, like ice on the Antarctic continent or glaciers or the large ice sheet on top of Greenland that is rapidly disappearing.

in the 8th grade I got sent to the office for explaining this to my idiot science teacher

2016-02-23 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Joke Tony, that last part was a joke. I assume by "water expands" you mean water expands ever so slightly as it warms. Fresh water is most dense at around 39 F, which accounts for thermoclines in larger bodies of water and for a lake "turning over" if it gets cold enough. I don't think you can say with certainty that water temp increase is the number one reason for sea levels rising versus land ice melting as the science is mixed on that. Let's say to keep it simple that it is a 50 - 50 split, Also, for clarity sake, melting sea ice, like the Arctic Ocean, does not add to sea levels rising as that ice is already accounted for in current levels - think of ice in a glass as it melts. It is LAND ice melting that adds to sea levels rising, like ice on the Antarctic continent or glaciers or the large ice sheet on top of Greenland that is rapidly disappearing.

You are correct, I should have also added ice melting in.  The expansion is the largest contributor to sea levels, but ice melting is number two.  Then there's that space rain... (just kidding)

On a side note, one of my bucket list items is to visit the greenland ice sheet.  
And before you inform me that I better go quick before they're all gone, here's a good read for you.  
http://www.myscience.org/news/2015/satellites_shed_light_on_greenland_ice_sheet_s_response_to_global_warming-2015-Sheffield

2016-02-23 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thermal expansion being the number one reason or a close number two, it doesn't really matter as they add together anyway.

That article is an interesting read, but it doesn't make me feel much better and I'd still get my tickets sooner rather than later :-) You know the article is about glacial MOVEMENT not being as fast as previously predicted, not melting, right?

Edited by ejshowers 2016-02-23 12:07 PM
2016-02-23 12:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by ejshowers Thermal expansion being the number one reason or a close number two, it doesn't really matter as they add together anyway. That article is an interesting read, but it doesn't make me feel much better and I'd still get my tickets sooner rather than later :-) You know the article is about glacial MOVEMENT not being as fast as previously predicted, not melting, right?

thanks for your posts on this. Very informative. 

I got the, i need to go get some hip waders, was a joke. ??

2016-02-23 8:36 PM

User image

Pro

I was thinking about this thread today in regard to what I do personally to help the environment, if anything.  I actually do a number of things.  I don't litter.  I don't flush drugs into the toilet.  We have traded all of our big  cars/suvs for cars that are very fuel effcient......and the biggest thing I do....I ALWAYS cut the rings of a plastic 6 pack holder so no animal/bird gets trapped in one of them.  (this is HUGE.....I could wipe out entire flocks/herds if I didn't)

So what do YOU do?

2016-02-24 7:43 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Buttercup
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeffnboise

zzzzzzzz....Oh, sorry.  I dozed off when you invoked 'science'.    

Enough with the debunking of what is  'warming'.   FACT! We are polluting our lands, water and air with man-made chemicals.  Even the temperature remained EXACTLY the same-global industry is still poisoning our earth.  I hear the Right dismiss AGW because of snowballs in DC.   And they use their arguments about questionable 'science' as an excuse to do NOTHING!   Our air is filthy, our water unsafe and lands uninhabitable....THAT"S FACT!  Who cares about Global Warming.  We gotta try and fix this. 

Not really, the Earth will fix itself.......like it has for the billions of years before we got here.  It might have to get rid of us to do it, but I don't worry about the Earth.  Yes, it's good to live in as clean an environment as we can......but the Earth will decide when enough is enough without our science.  It seems reasonable to me to worry about mankind.....but Earth will survive just fine.

I agree that the Earth will be just fine in the long run. The inhabitants may well be decimated but that's the circle of life. It is always just a matter of time before species die off. I have no children, so I don't worry about drought, famine, mass population disruption, and economic chaos because I anticipate I will be dead before those things kick in. At present, my only concern is getting to higher ground with a reliable fresh water source that won't be contaminated with salt water intrusion as the ocean continues to creep in. I need to do so before people realize their houses will soon (relatively) be worthless and the coastal housing market craters. I'd like to have a relatively peaceful retirement.

2016-02-24 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was thinking about this thread today in regard to what I do personally to help the environment, if anything.  I actually do a number of things.  I don't litter.  I don't flush drugs into the toilet.  We have traded all of our big  cars/suvs for cars that are very fuel effcient......and the biggest thing I do....I ALWAYS cut the rings of a plastic 6 pack holder so no animal/bird gets trapped in one of them.  (this is HUGE.....I could wipe out entire flocks/herds if I didn't)

So what do YOU do?

My wife does that too.  I usually make fun of her for it.  lol

2016-02-24 9:00 AM

User image

Pro

So what do YOU do?

Oh, believe me......I was bullied into it.  One of my twins saw a picture of a bird wrapped up in a six pack holder and from that day forward I was evil incarnate. LOL 

You know, I've said before how my wife is a born and raised Bezerkely, Ca. girl.   She won't kill a spider or moth in our house......traps them and takes them outside (I know.....but you get used to it).  Once of the funniest things that happened as my kids were growing up was the day they trapped their own moth and took it outside with great fanfare.  With all of the pride 3 kids aged 4-7 can muster they released the moth.  I had gone outside on the deck with them because they were so obviously thrilled.  That moth went straight up in the air....maybe 50 feet or so as my kids cheered.  A bird came by and ate it right out of mid air.  The crying was unreal........I just went inside. 

2016-02-24 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So what do YOU do?

Oh, believe me......I was bullied into it.  One of my twins saw a picture of a bird wrapped up in a six pack holder and from that day forward I was evil incarnate. LOL 

You know, I've said before how my wife is a born and raised Bezerkely, Ca. girl.   She won't kill a spider or moth in our house......traps them and takes them outside (I know.....but you get used to it).  Once of the funniest things that happened as my kids were growing up was the day they trapped their own moth and took it outside with great fanfare.  With all of the pride 3 kids aged 4-7 can muster they released the moth.  I had gone outside on the deck with them because they were so obviously thrilled.  That moth went straight up in the air....maybe 50 feet or so as my kids cheered.  A bird came by and ate it right out of mid air.  The crying was unreal........I just went inside. 

lol, there was a video a few years back of kids letting a rabbit they "saved" go and a hawk grabbed it right after they let it go.  oops

We all have our unique experiences when it comes to stuff like that.  I too almost always catch and release bugs in the house.  If I catch a spider, moth, or whatever, I let it go outside.  I don't get worked up about it, but for some reason I always try to let them go back to their families.  haha
My wife on the other hand is the bug murderer. 

2016-02-24 9:08 AM

New user
I recommend GMO row crops be planted on the farms I manage.

2016-02-24 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Denver

That is awesome.  

Another no-brainer you can do right now is to replace your traditional light bulbs with LEDs.  The price has come down tremendously in the past few years and you can get a 4 pack of 60 watt equivalent bulbs for under $10.  You won't have to replace it for years and you'll be saving money as well, about $7 per bulb per year on average in electricity costs.  Make sure you get the 2700k color temperature ones though to match the incadescent color.  Unless you like the bluish light light from higher temp bulbs.  I don't.

2016-02-24 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

That is awesome.  

Another no-brainer you can do right now is to replace your traditional light bulbs with LEDs.  The price has come down tremendously in the past few years and you can get a 4 pack of 60 watt equivalent bulbs for under $10.  You won't have to replace it for years and you'll be saving money as well, about $7 per bulb per year on average in electricity costs.  Make sure you get the 2700k color temperature ones though to match the incadescent color.  Unless you like the bluish light light from higher temp bulbs.  I don't.

Yay, I'm green.  I already did this.

(admittedly it was because I'm lazy and simply dislike replacing bulbs all the time)  haha

2016-02-24 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Denver

(admittedly it was because I'm lazy and simply dislike replacing bulbs all the time)  haha

Woo hoo!  Hey, whatever the reason, who cares.  I did it a while ago when bulbs were more expensive but I don't regret not waiting.

Another easy one that saves a good chuck of $ as well is getting a programmable thermostat.  

2016-02-24 10:13 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, Ms. Bezerkely has been replacing our bulbs as they go out.  I'd say we're about 50% there.  We have had a programmable thermostat for many years.  It looks like I'm alot more green than I thought I was.

Pass the steak please.

2016-02-24 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Woo hoo!  Hey, whatever the reason, who cares.  I did it a while ago when bulbs were more expensive but I don't regret not waiting.

Another easy one that saves a good chuck of $ as well is getting a programmable thermostat.  

another check.  Mine are not only programmable but they're wireless so I can turn them off when I forget while we're traveling.
I've got two furnace/ac units in the house, so my initial logic was cost.  however, I will admit it's nice to be able to turn the furnace up or down when my wife says she's hot/cold without even having to get off the couch.  lol  (back to that lazy thing again)

i also buy a couple chords of wood in the winter so we can burn our fireplace a lot.  I'm not sure if that's a net good or bad for my green score, but it does save a lot of electricity and gas.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » whats going on in the arctic Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS EXTENSION SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT GO?

Started by strykergt
Views: 1590 Posts: 11

2014-01-14 8:41 PM bootygirl

Congress goes too far...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2013-10-01 4:06 PM pga_mike

Let Kids Drink at Your House and You Could Go to Jail, Maine Couple Warns

Started by DanielG
Views: 2232 Posts: 16

2013-06-17 4:02 PM Meljoypip

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2320 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Because I'm not that fast going slow is, well, really slow - especially when I'm trying to train by heart rate. It feels like I'm going backwards. Is this normal?

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.