General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PMC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-19 9:47 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: PMC
Marc has awakened a beast and introduced me to yet another metric. I downloaded Golden Cheetah (shhh...don't tell IT) and uploaded my garmin files dating back to the begining of September. Any references or guides on how to interpret this? I found definitions of each line, and from what I can tell it looks like I am on the right track. From what I got, the long term stress score should be rising but I really don't know. All I could find where definitions of what each were, not where they should actually fall under different training periods. Is there a good guide out there to read? I'll admit I didn't google too long, I figured someone out there on BT would have a good reference handy.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (98KB - 6 downloads)

2016-02-19 11:19 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: PMC

One thing to remember is that a PMC will only work if you are accurately setting your FTP over time.  As your FTP rises and falls through a season, you need to make adjustments, otherwise you will get too little or too much credit for TSS, which will then skew your ATL, CTL, and TSB. 

2016-02-19 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2016-02-19 12:00 PM

User image

I recommend reading Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan's book. Among many other things, it spends a considerable amount of time detailing all the elements of the PMC chart. Gives real life examples of how to use it in training and peaking for races.

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-2nd/dp/1934030554

2016-02-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

One thing to remember is that a PMC will only work if you are accurately setting your FTP over time.  As your FTP rises and falls through a season, you need to make adjustments, otherwise you will get too little or too much credit for TSS, which will then skew your ATL, CTL, and TSB. 

Thanks for the tip. I went back through and put in the dates of my FTP test results to adjust FTP over time. It changed the graph a bit.
2016-02-19 1:28 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

Some discussion here

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Thanks Marc. Lots of good information there.

2016-02-19 1:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
There is no "should", but you can use it for comparitive values.

Examples:
My kona athletes have CTLs > 110, in one case, up to around 140 as a season Average

a CTL of about 70 is what most people can do before "life" gets in the way and they have to make serious spouse/ partner approved time sacrifices to fit in more training. Pople that work 80 hours a week or travel for a living can barely get to this level.

Most oly/sprint distance atheltes are going to be in the CTL range of 30-50, and are never really in dangeer of overtraining.

If you can get a CTL that matches your weight in kilograms you're doing pretty well. (just a coincidence in numbers).

There are rules of thing for how much it should climb, like 3-5 CTL per week.

You can look at past years race results and see where your CTL was at that time and use it as a target for this year same race distance.

Those are just a few examples.

don't forget to set run & swim thresholds as well if you're tracking all of tri training volume. The above CTLs are for all 3 sports together.
2016-02-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by AdventureBear

There is no "should", but you can use it for comparitive values.

Examples:
My kona athletes have CTLs > 110, in one case, up to around 140 as a season Average

a CTL of about 70 is what most people can do before "life" gets in the way and they have to make serious spouse/ partner approved time sacrifices to fit in more training. Pople that work 80 hours a week or travel for a living can barely get to this level.

Most oly/sprint distance atheltes are going to be in the CTL range of 30-50, and are never really in dangeer of overtraining.

If you can get a CTL that matches your weight in kilograms you're doing pretty well. (just a coincidence in numbers).

There are rules of thing for how much it should climb, like 3-5 CTL per week.

You can look at past years race results and see where your CTL was at that time and use it as a target for this year same race distance.

Those are just a few examples.

don't forget to set run & swim thresholds as well if you're tracking all of tri training volume. The above CTLs are for all 3 sports together.

Thanks. I updated all that information. Here's what I noticed, the PMC (TRIMP) appears to be HR based since it takes data before my PM, the PMC (Coggan) and (Skiba) only start showing data when I had my PM. This changes the CTL dramatically. For the first one, that takes all the data from back to my build up to B2B (which by the looks of it I did a good job building and tapering ) it puts my current CTL around 80. For the other two that start when I had my power meter it shows it in the 30's. I'm assuming the one using more data is closer to accurate. I'll keep uploading more historical data and see what it does. See below.

P.S. All this data has me drooling....I'm in heaven

(PMC Coggan.JPG)

(PMC TRIMP.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
PMC Coggan.JPG (110KB - 4 downloads)
PMC TRIMP.JPG (99KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PMC Rss Feed