Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-03 11:12 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2006-09-03 11:13 AM

2006-09-03 5:46 PM
in reply to: #529840

Subject: RE: Half-Ironman questions
I don't think you'll have a problem doing a half as your first race but you may be missing some fun by not doing a shorter race first.
2006-09-03 7:06 PM

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You don't need to do a shorter distance just because you haven't done one yet....you have plenty of running background, assuming you really know how to swim, should be very doable.....bike is easiest part to train for, just takes time in the saddle........HIM is a great distance event!
2006-09-04 12:24 AM

Regular
Bay Area, Cali
go for it. I'm in the same boat... never done a tri before, but doing my first HIM next week. There is something to be said for going into a sport with one toe at a time, but if you're like me, you'll enjoy diving in head first.

Go big or go home!!

Good luck
2006-09-04 5:37 AM

Expert
, District of Columbia
Morgantown is a great race, and if you change your mind, you can always do the Olympic. I wrote a race report on it.

In our area, you'll find a lot of sprint races yet for this year and next Spring. Try to get into a smaller race for some recon work. You learn by doing, and the experiences in T1 and T2 in short races will help you at a bigger one.
2006-09-04 6:27 AM

2006-09-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #530168

Not a Coach
Media, PA

PennState - 2006-09-04 6:27 AM Thankyou all for the replies. I am going to go for a HIM! Thinking about Morgantown (but worried that it is fairly hilly) Also thinking about the Eagleman 70.3 in Maryland. I know that in most forums I have been that the questions newbies ask have been asked many times before, but are there any other FLAT courses near Pennsylvania? Thanks again for trying to reassure me that I'm not crazy. Also, Caren let me know how your HIM goes and GoodlucK. Fred

You shouldn't have trouble starting with HIM, but also recommend seeing if you can't find a shorter race before that during your training.

As far as flat around PA, almost everything you'll find in NJ & DE is flat.  Devilman & Daimondman are 2 HIMs that come to mind.  The first is early-season, so may be a bit tough for a first-timer to prep for.  The latter is early Sept., which might be later than you'd like but would allow you to do some sprint and/or oly distance races before then.  There are a lot of good ones in the Midatlantic area--both flat and w/hills.

2006-09-05 9:29 AM

over a barrier
I would try a shorter distance first if only for the race day logistics....setting up and testing transitions and your nutrition plan etc.

I think you could easily handle the 1/2Iron based on your background though.....I learned some much at my first tri - just race day stuff...its a little different than a running event.
2006-09-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: #530850

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I had done one oly. length tri 14 years ago before doing my HIM this year. So I would say I was a total newbie to trathlon's and selected the HIM as pretty much my first (in this current round of fitness).

I also had a decent running background and a strong cycling background. But I had no swimming to speak of, which was the crushing blow to all my cycling and running prowess on race day. I survived, but my hopes of a fast time were dashed by the water. Since you have the swimming history you've got a leg up on where I was, so I see no reason why you couldn't go for the half IM as your "first."

Train smart and often .......
2006-09-05 1:40 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I think that you should be okay.  With your background in running, you will probably do a sub-six hour HIM, which is something I can only dream of after 3 years of tri-ing.  Your plan to swim heavily over the winter and train consistently in the other two disciplines is good.  If you can swing it, get a swim coach, if only to teach you the basic crawl technique and set you up with a good swim training program. 
2006-09-05 3:04 PM
in reply to: #530982

Coach
Boston, MA
Daremo - 2006-09-05 10:47 AM I had done one oly. length tri 14 years ago before doing my HIM this year. So I would say I was a total newbie to trathlon's and selected the HIM as pretty much my first (in this current round of fitness). I also had a decent running background and a strong cycling background. But I had no swimming to speak of, which was the crushing blow to all my cycling and running prowess on race day. I survived, but my hopes of a fast time were dashed by the water. Since you have the swimming history you've got a leg up on where I was, so I see no reason why you couldn't go for the half IM as your "first." Train smart and often .......

Great point and unfortunately you based it on personal experience…  To the OP > do the training and DO NOT underestimate what swim training can do for you on race day!

2006-09-05 3:29 PM

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Swim training is something I think I need to incorporate. I am planning on doing the Honu HIM on the Big Island next year. I can make the 2000m swim okay. I swim the distance in training from time to time however I think I'm pretty slow with a time of about 50 mins. My co-worker's 12yo daugther just did a 2.4 mile OWS (Rough Water Challenge) off of Waikiki Beach last Sunday and she finished in 1:05 taking first in her age group. Quite humbling. I rationalize away formal swim training because even if I improve dramatically I'll only save myself maybe 15 minutes. That isn't much when looking at a HIM in my opinion. I think I'd get better overall results if I focused that time on biking and running.
2006-09-05 4:04 PM

As the others have said, you should be able to handle the distance just fine.  However, there's something to be said for throwing in some shorter distance races before the HIM!  You'll undoubtedly pick up ideas on how to improve your transition times and such.  Just count them as long workouts.
2006-09-05 4:12 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

I think a shorter distance just to practice the logistics of a tri would be good unless you don't care about the time.  I think it is almost a certainty that if the HIM is your first race you will give away a few minutes in transition.  If that time doesn't matter then no big deal.  I loved taking my time in my first race earlier this year and then really focusing on being quick in transition in my second race and it paid off.  You could just do a sprint as a training race somewhere for the practice.

2006-09-05 9:31 PM

Expert

Eagleman is a great HIM for your first one.  The Choptank lives up to its name and the course can be windy, though I didn't think it was very windy this year, but I live right near the ocean so many of my rides are in much more windy conditions. 

You already have the swimming background, so once you get back into swimming shape, you should be fine, though open water swimming is a very different animal, even if you're swimming in a calm lake, then in a pool.  Biking, if you pace yourself correctly, and take in enough hydration/nutrition, you should be fine.  But don't underestimate those three things.  Running, if you can get yourself through the swim and bike you should be able to finish although while triathlon running is very different from a stand alone running race, figure the run will be something like the last half of a marathon, just to give yourself a rough idea.    

I would strongly recommend that you do a shorter distance tri in like May if you do Eagleman, just to practice swimming in open water, the transitions, and especially going from biking to running .  You are going to need to do plenty of bike run workouts (bricks as they're called) just to get used o that wonderful feeling.   I would not recommend the NJ Devilman (lake is gross among other things I have heard) and the WV may be a bit hilly and thus challenging.  If you want to do Eagleman, be prepared to register this month as it will sell out soon after registration opens.

2006-09-06 5:11 AM

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
You should have no problem but since you have until next year's Eagleman why not try a sprint or two before as a race prep? Nothing wrong with using those to learn the transitions. Plan on doing the HIM but don't get hung up on the fact that it has to be your first tri when there might be something shorter you could race earlier in the season.

2006-09-06 5:46 AM
in reply to: #531692

2006-09-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: #531826

Champion

PennState - 2006-09-06 6:46 AM You raise excellent points. I am going to register for the Eagleman this month. Since it is in June it would make a lot of sense to do a shorter Tri before-hand for all the reasons you have discussed. I am going to look in Trifind.com to find a shorter race. If you have any suggestions for something in or near Pennsylvania, I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou very much. Fred

There are a bunch of sprint and Olys in the mid-atlantic area in the April/May timeframe.

Personally, I'd recommend the Columbia Tri in late May.  I'm partial to the race b/c it is my home course but also it has great attendance, lots of support, and a top-notch RD (who also is the RD for Eagleman).

2006-09-10 11:43 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-Ironman questions Rss Feed