General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-carb body Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-03 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Subject: Anti-carb body

Since I started training a couple months ago, I've been conscious of the fact that I have to eat carbs to ensure my energy levels are right for training. I'm only doing small stuff, but still, I know that if I'm exercising, then I need to fuel up properly, or I'll just end up depleting resources and making myself less inclined to train.

But, I'm having wicked trouble with carbs. I don't know why it's so sudden, perhaps my metabolism is being boosted by the training, but every time I eat bread, pasta or even rice, I am suffering with stomach pain, bloating, and shocking wind. I've done some controls to check out whether it is the carbs, and I've found that it is.

What can I replace them with? Can anyone advise me? I am only a baby at this, and I don't really have any clue what's required to optimise nutrition for training. Even though it's such early days for me, I'd like to be in the habit of eating correctly so that I can progress more quickly.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Jac

2006-09-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: #529863

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Anti-carb body
I don't know much about this topic, but maybe you can't tolerate gluten. Might want to see a doc about it and maybe they can do some allergy tests.
2006-09-03 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Eat different kind of carbs.

I try to eat only unprocessed foods so bread and pasta are out.

I get plenty of good carbs from unprocessed foods like fruit, vegys, wild rice or sometimes brown rice.

If on the rare occasion I do eat processed foods even whole grain stuff I feel yucky.

2006-09-13 12:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
A few of us on the board, including myself, have gluten-intollerance, or celiac sprue disease. Symptoms range widely from person to person, but in general they are digestive issues in that your body cannot (or suddenly stops) digesting gluten. Gluten is found in wheat, oats, rye and barley.

I'd do some internet research and see if you think you fit the symptoms. Your doc can do an easy test to see if you have the antibody, and if you do, they can do a small bowel biopsy to determine a diagnosis. Or, you can just try a gluten-free diet for a few weeks and see if you feel better (not endorsing self-diagnosis, but experimenation never hurts).

If you are diagnosed it's not the end of the world (just ask hangloose), but it does require some serious eating modifications. Let us know what happens!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-carb body Rss Feed