General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PMC for S, B and R? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-29 8:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: PMC for S, B and R?
I'm really digging the PMC for monitoring of training. After loading all my workouts from the past year into Golden Cheetah, it's really cool to be able to look back and get an overview. I can see where I have over trained, undertrained, over tapered, etc.

Of the 5 PMC's available on Golden Cheetah, however, I don't see one that includes all three sports. Or at least that is how I'm interpreting them. And they therefore show totally different results. This makes it difficult for me to really use a tool if it is not all inclusive. The Coggan and Skiba PMCs are very similar and appear to only use power from the bike. This results in a CTL of around 40. This is due to not having had a power meter long, so data is limited (but I believe this could be remedied by seeding a season) but also from not including 2/3s of my work (swim and run) so I don't see how I could use that. The TRIMP PMC seems better since it uses HR, which gives a current CTL of 86 (double the Coggan and Skiba), but still doesn't seem to include swimming. With missing information, I don't see how you could really use this data.

I like the idea of a PMC, but I just don't see one (on Golden Cheetah at least) that is truly useful, if it doesn't include all three sports. Am I understanding these correctly? Is there a way to make one of these work for all three sports? Is there another program, such as Training Peaks, that has a more inclusive one?

I realize this is not an end all/be all tool, but it certainly makes for a good long term training tool, so I'd like to utilize it, but I feel that missing any one (or two) of the sports gives an incomplete picture. Thoughts? Info?

(Capture.JPG)

(Capture1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (126KB - 7 downloads)
Capture1.JPG (97KB - 4 downloads)

2016-02-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: PMC for S, B and R?

It sounds like you're wanting WKO+ or Race Day Apollo.

I haven't tried WKO+, but if you want more data than you can handle, then Race Day Apollo is your program.  I took one look at the output when I plugged in my workouts and said "NOPE!".

Edited by msteiner 2016-02-29 11:17 AM
2016-03-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

I'm really digging the PMC for monitoring of training. After loading all my workouts from the past year into Golden Cheetah, it's really cool to be able to look back and get an overview. I can see where I have over trained, undertrained, over tapered, etc.

Of the 5 PMC's available on Golden Cheetah, however, I don't see one that includes all three sports. Or at least that is how I'm interpreting them. And they therefore show totally different results. This makes it difficult for me to really use a tool if it is not all inclusive. The Coggan and Skiba PMCs are very similar and appear to only use power from the bike. This results in a CTL of around 40. This is due to not having had a power meter long, so data is limited (but I believe this could be remedied by seeding a season) but also from not including 2/3s of my work (swim and run) so I don't see how I could use that. The TRIMP PMC seems better since it uses HR, which gives a current CTL of 86 (double the Coggan and Skiba), but still doesn't seem to include swimming. With missing information, I don't see how you could really use this data.

I like the idea of a PMC, but I just don't see one (on Golden Cheetah at least) that is truly useful, if it doesn't include all three sports. Am I understanding these correctly? Is there a way to make one of these work for all three sports? Is there another program, such as Training Peaks, that has a more inclusive one?

I realize this is not an end all/be all tool, but it certainly makes for a good long term training tool, so I'd like to utilize it, but I feel that missing any one (or two) of the sports gives an incomplete picture. Thoughts? Info?

Golden Cheetah can do all 3 sports.

Look into the TriScore metric

Edited by marcag 2016-03-01 7:44 AM
2016-03-01 8:27 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
GC can do it with the upgrade to version 3.3 and all that entails...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PMC for S, B and R? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PMC

Started by 3mar
Views: 1243 Posts: 8

2016-02-19 1:53 PM 3mar

Climbing a hill on an SS vs a tri bike

Started by mtx
Views: 1211 Posts: 7

2012-05-20 9:31 AM morey000

Supplements - Benifits or BS?