General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any shoe guru's here? Question on trying a new shoe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-17 11:23 AM

User image

Subject: Any shoe guru's here? Question on trying a new shoe

Last time I was at LRS they had me try on Nike Free Distance.  Comfortable enough I thought about buying.  What stopped me is the heel is lower then what I'm wearing, 4mm.  The shoe I've been running in is 10mm.  I like minimalists shoes but they have caused me problems in the past.  This shoe by reviews seems to be in the middle but I like the cushioning.  I was told a few times that I wouldn't have to transition to these.  Even when I reminded them I had achillies issues.  I am leaning toward it being a mistake to try them.  While I wouldn't go back to zero drops which caused me achillies and calf issues I did wear Saucony Kinvarna's for a year which is also 4mm.  That was about two years ago.  I went through PT for the achillies and the running clinic they had me in suggested I go back to at least an 8mm.  But I think they said that was just for awhile not permanent.  

I have been running with a mid foot landing the last two - three years

I run typically on rolling hills.  This is partly what concerns me, the downhill parts.    All races save one are pretty much pancake flat.

What I am also thinking is using them for one or two shorts run each week and then a race day shoe for the short stuff.

Any insight would be helpful.  I'd rather not hurt myself again, especially this time of year.

2016-03-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Subject: RE: Any shoe guru's here? Question on trying a new shoe

I would probably stick with what works for you, I mean why risk any issues if you've been doing fine in the 10 mm drop ones? The number one reason to transition to lower drop shoes is probably to learn to run more efficiently by naturally switching from heel-strike to midfoot landing, but if you already do that, I think that the efficiency gains you could make are pretty marginal. 

I think you could still pretty safely use more light-weight low drop racing flats for races, with just a couple of tune-up training sessions before races, and gain the benefits of a lighter shoe without dramatically increasing the risk of injury. That said, there are a lot of light-weigh racing shoes that have a drop of 8-10 mm that would maybe be better for you. I think the New Balance 1400s would fall in this category, although I can't remember for sure off the top of my head. But that's an awesome shoe, so you could check that out if you're interested!

2016-03-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: MikaelEriksson

User image

Thanks I'll check that shoe out. The biggest reason I am thinking of trying them is like light weight shoes. I am have trouble with shoes fitting in the toe box. I have a slightly wide foot.
2016-03-17 12:33 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Last time I was at LRS they had me try on Nike Free Distance.  Comfortable enough I thought about buying.  What stopped me is the heel is lower then what I'm wearing, 4mm.  The shoe I've been running in is 10mm.  I like minimalists shoes but they have caused me problems in the past.  This shoe by reviews seems to be in the middle but I like the cushioning.  I was told a few times that I wouldn't have to transition to these.  Even when I reminded them I had achillies issues.  I am leaning toward it being a mistake to try them.  While I wouldn't go back to zero drops which caused me achillies and calf issues I did wear Saucony Kinvarna's for a year which is also 4mm.  That was about two years ago.  I went through PT for the achillies and the running clinic they had me in suggested I go back to at least an 8mm.  But I think they said that was just for awhile not permanent.  

I run typically on rolling hills.  This is partly what concerns me, the downhill parts.    All races save one are pretty much pancake flat.

What I am also thinking is using them for one or two shorts run each week and then a race day shoe for the short stuff.

Any insight would be helpful.  I'd rather not hurt myself again, especially this time of year.

I used to run in Nike Frees, but switched to the Soucony Kinvarna's about 2-3 years ago. For me the Soucony's are the best running shoe I have found. Everyones foot is different, and the Nikes were pretty good as well.

I break in every new shoe slowly even if its the same model. several short runs before doing anything long.
2016-03-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

I used to run in Nike Frees, but switched to the Soucony Kinvarna's about 2-3 years ago. For me the Soucony's are the best running shoe I have found. Everyones foot is different, and the Nikes were pretty good as well. I break in every new shoe slowly even if its the same model. several short runs before doing anything long.

From what I have read on the new Nike Free is they are more like the older ones everyone liked.  The Kinvarna's were one of my favorite shoes I've tried.  I've had a streak of bad luck when getting shoes.  It's been the same thing the last few years, "they changed the shoe, it's a bit narrower in the toe now".  I should buy in bulk the next time I find one that works.

2016-03-17 11:59 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
There are other shoes from Nike that may work better for you if you're worried about achilles problems. Lunertempo and Free 5.0 are both 8 mm drop, lightweight and fit very similar. If you liked the Saucony Kinvara except for the drop, try the Breakthru. It's an 8 drop and very similar fit.

What are you using now and why are you wanting to use something different?

2016-03-18 6:57 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by mike761

I used to run in Nike Frees, but switched to the Soucony Kinvarna's about 2-3 years ago. For me the Soucony's are the best running shoe I have found. Everyones foot is different, and the Nikes were pretty good as well. I break in every new shoe slowly even if its the same model. several short runs before doing anything long.

From what I have read on the new Nike Free is they are more like the older ones everyone liked.  The Kinvarna's were one of my favorite shoes I've tried.  I've had a streak of bad luck when getting shoes.  It's been the same thing the last few years, "they changed the shoe, it's a bit narrower in the toe now".  I should buy in bulk the next time I find one that works.

I was using the older Nike Free, when they changed I didn't like them as much.

I use the Kinvarna 4 right now , I liked them so much I stockpiled them I'm on my last pair so I just bought a 6 to see what they are like.

I need a wide toe box so hopefully the 6 still works for me.
2016-03-18 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I run in three different models of Saucony shoes with drops ranging from 4-8mm, and I like them all. No history of Achilles issues but I have had problems on and off with plantar fasciitis. Oddly, the drop seems unrelated to it. It's more an issue of how much and where the arch support is, and how flexible the shoe is. (I have very narrow feet, so some models are too wide and I think I shift around in the shoe so my arch doesn't get much support; shoes that are either too flexible or too rigid also tend to cause problems.) If you want to try a lower-drop shoe, I would suggest breaking it in with short runs, preferably on a softer surface like grass. Maybe just use them for speed work and races.
2016-03-18 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner  Maybe just use them for speed work and races.

That's what I was leaning towards.  I just get worried doing that will cause me problems after awhile.  The more I thought about it maybe one run a week in them and for short races.  Since they were pretty comfortable I tried to do a little research on them and one or two things got in my head.  Reading about potential achillies problems and since the upper is a sock like feel there's a chance of shin splints I guess from foot moving around.

Don, the only reason I was or am considering is I loved Altra's when I ran in them.  Zero drops just didn't work for me in the long run.  When I went to get new shoes the lady I've dealt with the last 5 years brought them out saying you might really like these.  She was right they were very comfortable.  But then I realized they were 4mm and passed.  She was pretty sure I wouldn't have any issues in them.  I am a head case with my feet now after 4 injuries.  I try not to take any chances with them.  I liked these enough though to ask if it would be a mistake.  In the past I would have tried to make them work instead of checking first.

ETA - a guy I work with found my old shoes on line so I am ordering those.  Now it's a question of the Nilkes as a second shoe or the breakthru

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-03-18 8:40 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any shoe guru's here? Question on trying a new shoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New shoe question

Started by BigDaddyD79
Views: 771 Posts: 10

2012-11-02 5:51 PM morey000

Shoe question - support vs neutral shoe?

Started by ersmith29
Views: 7104 Posts: 10

2016-03-31 6:14 AM allroundactioman

New shoe question!

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 608 Posts: 2

2010-08-02 11:57 AM arcee52

New Tri shoes from my road shoes........

Started by ZekeB
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2008-07-11 7:10 AM hurtin

New Running Shoes Question

Started by sealiongirl
Views: 775 Posts: 3

2007-05-23 10:58 PM kproudfoot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types