General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old bike upgrades Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-04 10:36 AM

New user

Subject: Old bike upgrades
Hey People,

Question? I have an older hybrid bike ('99 Giant) that's in terrific shape. It has mountain bike tires and your regular type pedals. I was wondering if it pays to invest some money into this bike and get some new 'road' tires, pedals, tune up etc....or spend the money and purchase a new entry level road bike. I saw a Felt f90 for 630.00 at my LBS and the salesman said he feels it would be a waste of money to invest money in my old ride if next year or so I decide to purchase new. I am new to tri's like some of you and want to train correctly but also have a budget as do most. I also would like any advise on which plan is best for a newbie (bronze,silver,gold??)

Thanks alot
EJ

2006-09-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: #530267

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Old bike upgrades
I replied to a similar post a few weeks ago, this spring I was in a similar situation - I had a hybrid. My LBS talked me out of a new bike, I went with new tires and it made a difference. Do that, save some $$$ between now and when you can skip entry level and go "top o' da' line" next year. Get some pedals and shoes too, they can easily be put on the new ride when the time comes.
2006-09-05 12:05 AM
in reply to: #530267

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Old bike upgrades

of course the sales guy said buy a new bike!   I think you will notice a difference with just new tires.  Pedals and/or shoes are not a waste because you will need them for a road bike and can transfer them later.  DOn't go adding aerobars or anything too crazy though.  Put some slick tires on the bike and keep riding.  When you get a nice road bike, you will still want a beater bike for cruising around or riding in bad conditions. 

Performancebike.com has some slick tires for like $10 a piece.  Put them on yourself and you will only be out maybe $30 with shipping.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old bike upgrades Rss Feed