Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-03-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: How aero are you ?

Great chart! 

I plugged in the speed from a Sprint last year where I know that I averaged 240 watts and was surprised that I was in the 'average' to 'poor' range.  The coffee must not have kicked in and it took me awhile to realize I was looking at the online results and so the bike time was measured from the transition mat and it was a bit of a run to get to the start line and fumble into the pedals.  I'll have to look at the garmin file when I get home.

I see that a lot of knowledgeable people have posted to this thread and so maybe we can get a dialogue going of how to improve CDA.  Assuming that a fit is dialed in and you're working with the usual aero equipment (wheels, disc cover, helmet), what other steps can you take to reduce your CDA?  The following come to mind off-hand that typically will improve your aeroness:

• bars narrow together and titled slightly up
  • "turtle" your head between your shoulders
  • clean up cables to get out of the wind
  • bottle between the arms
  • shaved legs
  • tight fitting clothing - I understand that sleeved tops have tested faster than sleeveless
  • taking advantage of legal drafting - draft zone for AGers in my area is 5 metres and rider has 15 seconds to complete pass

I know that testing will ultimately determine what works for each rider, but are there any other general aero tips?

2016-03-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Scott71
:

• shaved legs
  • tight fitting clothing - I understand that sleeved tops have tested faster than sleeveless
  • taking advantage of legal drafting - draft zone for AGers in my area is 5 metres and rider has 15 seconds to complete pass

I know that testing will ultimately determine what works for each rider, but are there any other general aero tips?

*bars narrow is often neutral, bars up is usually at least OK until you start really adding °
* shrug, turtle, duck, roll your shoulders, etc... I don't think I've ever seen it slower for anyone... but it takes a LOT of practice and generally a very stretched out front end to hold it for extended periods
* cables are bad
* torpedo bottle is usually neutral. Less likely to be neutral the higher you raised your bars though.
* despite the sketchiest wind tunnel results ever, I have not found the length of my leg hair to effect my results much in testing. It's just as possible the *right* leg hair is better than no leg hair.
* sleeves are usually good, tight is always good. Wrinkles are bad. Clothing is VERY personal. Probably just as/more personal than helmets.
* drafting is always good (as long as it's legal.)

TEST TEST TEST. Question everything. That's how you get lower cda. Not having to swim or run is helpful as well.
2016-03-30 3:24 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by marcag

I would more like to see a chart of bike time and run times combined with how aero people are. Those that sacrifice biomechanics for a little extra savings....wish there could be a way to measure and see the cost.

There are several metrics that are taken from the Retul data that Andy will not compromise on.

Such as....?

I would assume it's the hip angle and pelvic tilt. bdc and tdc also possibly, but that's just a guess.

Yes but that is not what I am getting at.

Biomechanics first. It will always trump aerodynamics.

Think of it this way....

Lets say you get in the most aero position possible. How much percentage did you save? How much time did you save?

Now lets say you go and do an Ironman. That position you are in you can hold well for 80 miles, then the last 30 or so you are in and out of the aero position. I promise you every time, that the drag you add by sitting up on the hoods will negate everything you earned and then some by getting as aero as possible.

So the big caveat with all of this, is that whatever aero position you are in, it is assumed you can hold it for it's entirety for the full ride. I think this part gets looked over a lot.
2016-03-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would more like to see a chart of bike time and run times combined with how aero people are. Those that sacrifice biomechanics for a little extra savings....wish there could be a way to measure and see the cost.

There are several metrics that are taken from the Retul data that Andy will not compromise on.

Such as....?

I would assume it's the hip angle and pelvic tilt. bdc and tdc also possibly, but that's just a guess.

Think of it this way....

Lets say you get in the most aero position possible. How much percentage did you save? How much time did you save?

Now lets say you go and do an Ironman. That position you are in you can hold well for 80 miles, then the last 30 or so you are in and out of the aero position. I promise you every time, that the drag you add by sitting up on the hoods will negate everything you earned and then some by getting as aero as possible.

So the big caveat with all of this, is that whatever aero position you are in, it is assumed you can hold it for it's entirety for the full ride. I think this part gets looked over a lot.

A good fitter can get a person very aerodynamic without compromising biomechanics..

The numbers on that chart (from better and down) are achievable by many many people for a full IM. Guys like Cody Beals, Rapp and Lionel are between better and best,

• 21 is tougher but certainly sustainable for an Oly.

• I won't publish Chris' numbers but he is off this chart. By a lot. But his position is not sustainable for triathlon, never mind an IM.

Lionel before getting in his new position could not hold aero position, and wasn't all that aero. He now can hold it, can do more watts and is a lot more aero.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-30 3:45 PM
    2016-03-30 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by bcagle25 I would more like to see a chart of bike time and run times combined with how aero people are. Those that sacrifice biomechanics for a little extra savings....wish there could be a way to measure and see the cost.
    Such as....?
    Yes but that is not what I am getting at. Biomechanics first. It will always trump aerodynamics. Think of it this way.... Lets say you get in the most aero position possible. How much percentage did you save? How much time did you save? Now lets say you go and do an Ironman. That position you are in you can hold well for 80 miles, then the last 30 or so you are in and out of the aero position. I promise you every time, that the drag you add by sitting up on the hoods will negate everything you earned and then some by getting as aero as possible. So the big caveat with all of this, is that whatever aero position you are in, it is assumed you can hold it for it's entirety for the full ride. I think this part gets looked over a lot.
    A good fitter can get a person very aerodynamic without compromising biomechanics.. The numbers on that chart (from better and down) are achievable by many many people for a full IM. Guys like Cody Beals, Rapp and Lionel are between better and best, .21 is tougher but certainly sustainable for an Oly. I won't publish Chris' numbers but he is off this chart. By a lot. But his position is not sustainable for triathlon, never mind an IM. Lionel before getting in his new position could not hold aero position, and wasn't all that aero. He now can hold it, can do more watts and is a lot more aero.

I have a question, could being too narrow on the bars or in a bad position impact my ability to breathe when I get on the run?

2016-03-30 3:49 PM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by dmiller5
    I have a question, could being too narrow on the bars or in a bad position impact my ability to breathe when I get on the run?

There is a guy on ST that seems to make a lot of sense and says that excess posterior tilt does reduce the ability to breath. But that's all I have ever heard on it.

2016-03-30 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5 I have a question, could being too narrow on the bars or in a bad position impact my ability to breathe when I get on the run?
    There is a guy on ST that seems to make a lot of sense and says that excess posterior tilt does reduce the ability to breath. But that's all I have ever heard on it.

interesting, I have exercise induced asthma that is much more frequent running off the bike. Part of this is because of level of exertion, but I'm starting to become convinced part of it is the position.

2016-03-30 4:54 PM
    in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area

Think of it this way....

well, looking at Marc's chart... sometimes a LOT.

generally I'd agree with you. However that will depend on your cda on the hoods as well, and just how much the gap between your "sustainable" position and your "as aero as possible" position. But for the most part you're right... same as not following your nutrition plan, pacing, etc will all negate everything you earned on paper.

I agree... specific training for specific results (and events) which is something every athlete (and coach) should go into with a realistic view.

2016-03-30 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Scott71

Great chart! 

I plugged in the speed from a Sprint last year where I know that I averaged 240 watts and was surprised that I was in the 'average' to 'poor' range.  The coffee must not have kicked in and it took me awhile to realize I was looking at the online results and so the bike time was measured from the transition mat and it was a bit of a run to get to the start line and fumble into the pedals.  I'll have to look at the garmin file when I get home.

I see that a lot of knowledgeable people have posted to this thread and so maybe we can get a dialogue going of how to improve CDA.  Assuming that a fit is dialed in and you're working with the usual aero equipment (wheels, disc cover, helmet), what other steps can you take to reduce your CDA?  The following come to mind off-hand that typically will improve your aeroness:

• shaved legs

Scott,

A few comments. Arms narrow is good, but sometimes too much. Narrower than hips for sure, but sometimes narrow locks your head into a position and head down is critical
    Hands slighly up works for a lot of people, But it depends on your setup. You want to keep your bottle, etc level and you don't want to tilt your basebar.: very important.
    Turtling very important but depends a lot on fit.
    Cable cleanup is important but don't go nuts drilling frame (IMO)
    Bottle between the arms is good, but for some bikes, a Torhans can be equally good if not better. Keep the bottle level.
    Sleeved tops, tight helps. But you need to be able to put it on and/or swim. Big cylinders are not aero. Those are the biggest cylinders exposed. if you can't test pick a proven brand.
    Speaking of cylinders, the more spacers, the more you are exposing a big cylinder to the wind. There are ways to reduce this.

Rear hydration can help or be neutral.

I cannot say this enough. The first step is a good fit from someone that appreciates the aero aspect. Comfort is critical, power production is critical. Aero is as well. It's not all of one or all the other, it's the balance between the three and there is a way to find balance.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-30 6:15 PM
    2016-03-31 10:01 AM

User image

Pro

3mar got me thinking on the other thread about aero position as it applies to wind.  Is there a wind speed when being in aero is no longer optimal? (going with the wind)  At some point, it's got to be better to sit up and catch some wind right?

I once had my wife drive me 20 miles to the west in Nebraska because the wind was straight out of the west at 40 mph gusting to 55-60. (straight east/west running county road) I rode those 20 miles like I was shot out of a cannon. LOL

2016-03-31 10:07 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

3mar got me thinking on the other thread about aero position as it applies to wind.  Is there a wind speed when being in aero is no longer optimal? (going with the wind)  At some point, it's got to be better to sit up and catch some wind right?

I once had my wife drive me 20 miles to the west in Nebraska because the wind was straight out of the west at 40 mph gusting to 55-60. (straight east/west running county road) I rode those 20 miles like I was shot out of a cannon. LOL

its only better to sit up when the wind speed is greater than your speed.  So if its blowing 20 and you're riding uphill at 15...sit up!

2016-03-31 10:11 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

its only better to sit up when the wind speed is greater than your speed.  So if its blowing 20 and you're riding uphill at 15...sit up!

I'd say it depends on power. If you can produce more power out of the aero bars, then that scale slides. If you are riding 20 mph with a 15 mph tail wind, your wind speed is 5mph, however, if you can produce more power up out of the aerobars, you still may be better off wind-wise. I've noticed I produce more power and I am more comfortable in aero than out, so I'd stay in regardless unless the wind was actually greater than my speed by enough that 'catching' it would help.

Edited by 3mar 2016-03-31 10:11 AM
    2016-03-31 10:21 AM
    in reply to: 3mar

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar

I'd say it depends on power. If you can produce more power out of the aero bars, then that scale slides. If you are riding 20 mph with a 15 mph tail wind, your wind speed is 5mph, however, if you can produce more power up out of the aerobars, you still may be better off wind-wise. I've noticed I produce more power and I am more comfortable in aero than out, so I'd stay in regardless unless the wind was actually greater than my speed by enough that 'catching' it would help.

And before anyone gets too carried away with that, keep in mind that those of use who make more power up than down should still not see that much of a gap in either position. Otherwise take another look at it.

2016-03-31 11:48 AM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Threre was an extremely funny but true statement on ST made a few years ago on this subject.  They said to tie a light string or ribbon to your handlebars...and if that ribbon is ever leaning or pointing forward, you can sit up.  

2016-04-04 1:09 PM

User image

OK Marc, now that I have some data fresher than two years old, a fit tweak from Jim Manton at ERO and a couple mew toys, can this be used at a semi hilly course like Oceanside (approx 2400 feet elevation)?  I know the caption says flat course...   But my bike time was decent but shows up in the "poor" column unless I am totally reading it wrong (a distinct possibility!).   

I have a flattish (1500 foot elevation) HIM coming up and I'd like to do well there.

Time was 2:48 on 187AP/208 NP.   195#.  Anything you can tell me from that info?  Or need more info?

I am not very good at these technical discussions, and usually just look at the pretty pitchurs....

2016-04-04 1:18 PM
    in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by ChrisM

OK Marc, now that I have some data fresher than two years old, a fit tweak from Jim Manton at ERO and a couple mew toys, can this be used at a semi hilly course like Oceanside (approx 2400 feet elevation)?  I know the caption says flat course...   But my bike time was decent but shows up in the "poor" column unless I am totally reading it wrong (a distinct possibility!).   

I have a flattish (1500 foot elevation) HIM coming up and I'd like to do well there.

Time was 2:48 on 187AP/208 NP.   195#.  Anything you can tell me from that info?  Or need more info?

I am not very good at these technical discussions, and usually just look at the pretty pitchurs....

Send me your Garmin file :-) PM me a Garmin connect link if you want

2016-04-04 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Marc-Am I understanding the first table correctly-an average aero rider should be able to go 20 mph on 155 Watts?
    That seems low.

I know it goes along with the 'bikecalculator' model, but my real world data isn't close. Of course, I am a human parachute...
    2016-04-04 1:41 PM
    in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by dtoce

Marc-Am I understanding the first table correctly-an average aero rider should be able to go 20 mph on 155 Watts?
    That seems low.

I know it goes along with the 'bikecalculator' model, but my real world data isn't close. Of course, I am a human parachute...

You may have multiple things going on

Bad CRR (tires) are big
    Being a parachute is big
    A PM reading a few watts high is common

The model work incredibly well in real life and the reason people should test

2016-04-04 1:51 PM

User image

Sent

Thanks

And more on equipment to the extent relevant

BMC TM02
    HED 3 front, 23 mm Conti 4000ii
    PT rear with disc cover
    Specialized SW TT helmet
    Torhans frame bottle flat kit
    Xlab versa BTA
    XLab BTS (one cage)

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-04 1:53 PM
    2016-04-04 1:57 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
    Well, I'm officially average. Taking out the data from when I'm getting in/out of my shoes from my last race, 25.1 mph on 277 watts. Guess I need to look into a new fit.
    2016-04-04 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area

2016-04-04 2:13 PM
    in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by Jet Black

Well, I'm officially average. Taking out the data from when I'm getting in/out of my shoes from my last race, 25.1 mph on 277 watts. Guess I need to look into a new fit.

Hey, I recognize you from the race! I think the rough road conditions on the way back altered the numbers a bit. I know I was getting caught up in a lot of that patchy asphalt on the way back and it was really slowing me down. Doing the same as you, and cutting off the beginning and the end I was at 23.1 mph on 216....so in the same boat as far as "good", of course, without so much power.

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sent

Thanks

And more on equipment to the extent relevant

BMC TM02
    PT rear with disc cover
    Specialized SW TT helmet
    Torhans frame bottle flat kit
    Xlab versa BTA
    XLab BTS (one cage)

Setting up the model is time consuming but I don't mind doing it because I have to do it for someone else that did this race. And I like you :-)

But after my ride later ...priorities priorities

in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Yeah, I know.    

21 on that front worries me a bit *especially* at oceanside which has some really bad pavement sections with nice longitudinal cracks.

2016-04-04 2:15 PM

User image

Marc, thanks much. please don't go out of your way.  Just more out of curiosity than anything else.   Jim at ERO has told me my fit is really good, and it feels good on the bike.  But it doesn't correlate at all with your table.  I don't think...

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How aero are you ? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Aero - am I missing anything?

Started by dmiller5
    Views: 2034 Posts: 24

2015-10-27 1:31 PM dmiller5

Aero helmet and this and I am so ready

Started by trigods
    Views: 1141 Posts: 4

2010-05-05 8:39 PM tri808

I am getting a wild set up for my aero bars Pages: 1 2 3

Started by pga_mike
    Views: 6641 Posts: 63

2010-02-12 7:10 AM Leegoocrap

Aero position (I can't believe I am posting this) Pages: 1 2

Started by jedibluez
    Views: 3974 Posts: 27

2010-08-30 12:58 PM kvn371

Am I aero???

Started by TriathleteNut
    Views: 2192 Posts: 17

2006-09-16 5:26 PM silent
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 18, 2012
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 1
    What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : March 24, 2011
    author : FitWerx
    What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 3, 2007
    author : CPT
    comments : 5
    Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.
    date : August 17, 2007
    author : daveo1101
    comments : 4
    Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.

date : June 11, 2007
    author : Ontherun
    comments : 3
    A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
    date : April 13, 2007
    author : B-One
    comments : 8
    This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : April 11, 2007
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation