General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting PRs to Standard Race Distances Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-05 9:20 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Adjusting PRs to Standard Race Distances
Anyone do this? I realize all the perils of PRs in a sport such as triathlon. But, it is a sport with standard distance races, in which the time it takes you to get to the finish is the penultimate goal, and the PR is the standard use of measure for most races.

That being said, It seems that most races are short in one discipline or another, yet we still discuss PRs, or note them, or use them for personal goals, or use them just as a "known". I've personally taken to adjusting the times (based on pace) to the standard distance it should have been.

One example is my first HIM, in which my official time was 4:59. All three disciplines were short however, and if I adjusted for the full distance based on pace, it came out to 5:12. This becomes important when looking at my second HIM where I finished in 4:55, and was as close to accurate as you could get (the swim was a hair short, the bike was a hair long, the run was almost right on). At first glance, it would seem I only knocked 4 minutes off, where that wasn't close to the case.

Anyway, when talking PRs, or noting them in your profile here, or writing them on a piece of paper then putting them in a bottle and sending them off to sea, or whatever you do with them; do you adjust them to the standard distance based on pace?

I realize that even with a standard distance there are a 1,000 other factors that make time not the best metric; elevation, wind, weather, birds of prey, etc. But here's the deal, the idea of a PR is never going to go away, it is just a standard, so does it make sense to at least adjust based on pace so that it's somewhat comparable?

2016-04-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Adjusting PRs to Standard Race Distances

Not everyone bothers with PRs. Course differences are a big part of why we get outside for the events.

2016-04-05 10:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I judge my races by execution and proximity to the times of other racers I race against often.  or you can use athlinks to get a sense of the guys around you.

2016-04-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

No.

PRs can be an interesting tool to judge progress, but IMO are really meaningless as (1) one course may differ wildly from another course (Wildflower 70.3 vs. Miami 70.3) and (2) even the same race may have changed routes, inaccurate measurements year to year, weather etc.  A more meaningful metric (again IMO) is placement within AG.   We have a 2 mile swim every year.  Different current, surf, etc make the time in a vacuum pretty meaningless, it's more where you place among your peers year after year.

As for adjusting to reflect proper distance, again no.  IMO you take the course they give you.  If someone wants to call a downstream swim their PR, no skin off my nose.IMO, YMMV, etc etc

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-05 11:06 AM
2016-04-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Katy, Texas
I really wasn't going for what the merit of the PR is. I get it, it's not a good one. There are a thousand other, much better metrics. You could say that for running as well since different courses yield much different results. Wind and temperature are huge in running as well, yet we still talk PRs.

My point in the post was, PRs exist and they aren't going anywhere. So in that realm; would it make more sense to adjust to distance, so at least there is some standard?
2016-04-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

No because there is no standard unless its a USAT certified course year after year.     IMO

To follow on, if a course is 58 on the bike, and you go 5:00, do you personally log a 4:57 PR?  Do you adjust based on elevation/grade to a flat course?   Do you adjust currents in a swim?   Way too many variables to accurately account for meaningful differences.   IMO

Again, you take the course they give you

Just my way of saying I don't do that.  I do have "PRs" but don't put much credence in them, they're just numbers to facebrag about    that no one else cares about. 

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-05 11:43 AM

2016-04-05 11:38 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

I lost near 4 minutes on an Oly bike from one year to the next simply due to the wind. Same course, same setup, same power.

One of the IM courses used to be just over 58 and was point to point with a net decent and I think just over 3,000 ft of climbing. All of this would need to be accounted for.

Extend that 300m swim in the recent tri up to 750m and you might change how much it takes out of someone. So it's not just extrapolating and normalizing things out. It's an interesting idea to think about, just really complex to implement.

2016-04-05 11:45 AM

User image

No, I only compare PRs on races where the course is exactly the same...and even then there is weather.  My fastest 40k is 57:22 on 268 watts.  That was 2 years ago in perfect wind conditions.  Last year I did 57:47 on 281 watts, and this year I did 57:49 on 285 In much windier conditions.  My placings relative to my peers has improved each year though.

2016-04-05 4:06 PM

One (imperfect) way of guesstimating a rough performance, is to get your USAT score from your most recent race, and then correlate what  finish time that score would have came it in last year's race.

This of course doesn't account for year to year differences (like if one year is 95F and the next is 65F) but for most races you can get a pretty good guesstimate on what to expect, especially when doing hilly courses (Wildflower) vs flat ones which can have huge differences in finish time for the same USAT score.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting PRs to Standard Race Distances Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First standard distance tri today

Started by Jackjames
Views: 635 Posts: 6

2014-09-15 10:59 AM pnwdan

Training for a non-standard distance race

Started by macnmotion
Views: 1084 Posts: 8

2012-04-14 8:30 AM dossheepos

Adjusting brakes when switching between race and training wheels

Started by osbornb
Views: 856 Posts: 5

2011-06-01 8:56 AM FurnaceM3

Interested in trading training scedules / ideas (Olympic/Standard to 140.3 Distances)

Started by bryanbaker10136
Views: 578 Posts: 1

2011-05-02 2:36 PM bryanbaker10136

Sprint Distance Swim--Standard Distance?

Started by mwillder
Views: 1001 Posts: 9

2007-06-06 3:34 PM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers