Omaha, NE
Subject: ObamaMortgage

2016-04-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: ObamaMortgage
Almost like planting a time bomb that will go off just in time for the next election cycle. I can hear it now, " We can't afford four more years of Trump/Cruz/Bush failed economic policy." Sound familiar? It also plays against the GOP in the general election. "Trump/Cruz/Bush just don't want poor minorities to get a hand up because they are racist."

It will work again too.
2016-04-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

New user
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

2016-04-06 1:27 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's a stretch to say that he's doing it with the intention of it going sideways just in time for the next election cycle. Even if you despise Obama, that's giving him credit for having, like, a super-villain level of nefariousness.

I think this is one of those examples where one should presume incompetence, rather than malice.

And yes, on the face of it, I think this sounds like a horrible idea.

2016-04-06 1:47 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I think it's a stretch to say that he's doing it with the intention of it going sideways just in time for the next election cycle. Even if you despise Obama, that's giving him credit for having, like, a super-villain level of nefariousness. I think this is one of those examples where one should presume incompetence, rather than malice. And yes, on the face of it, I think this sounds like a horrible idea.

I tend to agree with you.

2016-04-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this does sound like a bad idea... however it wasn't actually the bad mortgages that caused the economy to crash.  They bundled shite mortgages together, got ratings agencies to rate them well, and then made massive bets, and bets on the bets, and bets on the bets that they wouldn't fail.

owning my house is cheaper for me than renting where I live, just to throw some food for thought out there.

Edited by dmiller5 2016-04-06 9:01 PM

2016-04-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
dmiller you for got the part where they create some mortgages to fail sold them and then made bet that they would fail.

Book Bailout pretty interesting book on the subject.

2016-04-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I think it's a stretch to say that he's doing it with the intention of it going sideways just in time for the next election cycle. Even if you despise Obama, that's giving him credit for having, like, a super-villain level of nefariousness.

I think this is one of those examples where one should presume incompetence, rather than malice.

And yes, on the face of it, I think this sounds like a horrible idea.

I dunno. I think both political parties are more interested in retaining power than actually running a solvent, healthy government. Again, I give the democrats credit for actually having a plan in place to do so. The repubs are just bumblefking along HOPING to regain control.

I call obama a lot of things. Incompetent is definitely not one of them. Malice doesn't come in to play IMO. I think the democrats honestly believe that the end game justifies whatever they need to do to get there. After all, they can always print another pot of money to bail the country out again right?
2016-04-08 1:12 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by tuwood

Obama administration pushes banks to make home loans to people with weaker credit

It worked out so well the last time we tried it, so why not.

That article is over three years old.

Additionally, Mr Goldfarb, suggests that credit scores are "out of 800", which is demonstrably incorrect (it's out of 850).
Furthermore, he points out data regarding new home purchases declining, without qualifying that data in the context that new housing starts declined 60% during the same time, so of course new home purchases are going to decline.

Seems like a poorly written opinion piece by a partisan non-journalist.

What's your intention with this post?

2016-04-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
^ Good catch on the date! I assume Tony didn't see the byline date or he wouldn't have posted as it is pretty irrelevant in 2016.
2016-04-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers ^ Good catch on the date! I assume Tony didn't see the byline date or he wouldn't have posted as it is pretty irrelevant in 2016.

Yeah, big time.  I can't remember where I saw it but it was just posted in the last few days on some conservative site so I assumed it was current.  oops.

I blame Obama.  

2016-04-08 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
2016-04-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Did you even look at those links??? They all simply cut and paste, refer to, or even directly copy the same 2013 article that Tony posted above, without, of course, mentioning that the info they are referring to is 3 years old. Now why would 3 separate blogs all regurgitate a tired old article from 2013 within 2 days of each other? Sad take on the right wing blogosphere and how they take orders from above on what to say and how they try to sway their readers with misinformation. But that is a whole other topic and thread...
2016-04-08 2:38 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers Did you even look at those links??? They all simply cut and paste, refer to, or even directly copy the same 2013 article that Tony posted above, without, of course, mentioning that the info they are referring to is 3 years old. Now why would 3 separate blogs all regurgitate a tired old article from 2013 within 2 days of each other? Sad take on the right wing blogosphere and how they take orders from above on what to say and how they try to sway their readers with misinformation. But that is a whole other topic and thread...

From.........................God??? 

2016-04-08 2:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ejshowers Did you even look at those links??? They all simply cut and paste, refer to, or even directly copy the same 2013 article that Tony posted above, without, of course, mentioning that the info they are referring to is 3 years old. Now why would 3 separate blogs all regurgitate a tired old article from 2013 within 2 days of each other? Sad take on the right wing blogosphere and how they take orders from above on what to say and how they try to sway their readers with misinformation. But that is a whole other topic and thread...

He told me to start this thread... ;-

2016-04-08 2:45 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

this does sound like a bad idea... however it wasn't actually the bad mortgages that caused the economy to crash.  They bundled shite mortgages together, got ratings agencies to rate them well, and then made massive bets, and bets on the bets, and bets on the bets that they wouldn't fail.

owning my house is cheaper for me than renting where I live, just to throw some food for thought out there.

It was a bit of both.  There's a great NYT's article I need to find the link to from the 99 to early 2000's.  The author basically called the housing bubble then saying Barney Frank and the others screaming for sub prime loans to be made are leading us down a dangerous road. 

You're right the packaging of sub prime loans and the poor management decisions of the ratings companies was the gasoline on the fire. However the fire would not have been lit in the first place if it wasn't for the loans and the practices of the originators. 

I've been on both sides of this.  Bought my first home with a no doc loan and work in finance so I had a front row seat during the meltdown. 

2016-04-08 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Someone is doing some coordinating, or did those bloggers somehow decide on their own to write about a 3 year old newspaper article within 2 days of each other? Not God, but maybe The Conservative Action Project, The Heritage Foundation, The Family Research Council, Ed Meese, Michelle Malkin...
2016-04-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by dmiller5

It was a bit of both.  There's a great NYT's article I need to find the link to from the 99 to early 2000's.  The author basically called the housing bubble then saying Barney Frank and the others screaming for sub prime loans to be made are leading us down a dangerous road. 

You're right the packaging of sub prime loans and the poor management decisions of the ratings companies was the gasoline on the fire. However the fire would not have been lit in the first place if it wasn't for the loans and the practices of the originators. 

I've been on both sides of this.  Bought my first home with a no doc loan and work in finance so I had a front row seat during the meltdown. 

We built our house 14 years ago and weren't the most financially responsible people on the planet (ok, maybe closer to the least).  We did a 100% 80/20 ARM with a 5 year balloon at almost 45% debt to income ratio. Talk about house poor.  
You want to know the even scarier part?  We were approved to buy a house twice as much as ours with a no doc interest only ARM.  Even in my complete financial stupidity I saw that it was a VERY bad idea.
Fortunately for us, my income continued to climb so we earned our way through the stupidity, but many didn't. 

2016-04-11 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

We built our house 14 years ago and weren't the most financially responsible people on the planet (ok, maybe closer to the least).  We did a 100% 80/20 ARM with a 5 year balloon at almost 45% debt to income ratio. Talk about house poor.  
You want to know the even scarier part?  We were approved to buy a house twice as much as ours with a no doc interest only ARM.  Even in my complete financial stupidity I saw that it was a VERY bad idea.
Fortunately for us, my income continued to climb so we earned our way through the stupidity, but many didn't. 

a friend of mine who combine family income is over 200k also lost her house to am arm. They took out a mortgage to add a big addition to the house which was stupid in my opinion because now there house is twice the size as all the other houses on the neighborhood and only has a 1 car garage because that is all they have room for. They got an arm and did not know how they were going to keep it up with the other expenses. I think ultimately her daughter dropped out of college because it was either her school or the house. They are both smart people but you never know what you are going to get into.

That being said I might be buying my first place if everything comes together. Its a small condo but it will be cheaper than renting a similar place, and we can't move for 10 years or so anyways to be close to grandma who watches the kid during the day. No arms for me, no way.

2016-04-11 1:45 PM

User image

Yea that stuff is scary.  Some of the lending practices were really "questionable"!

I refi'd our current home 3 x's.  Twice to lower rate and last time to cut rate and duration.  The first time was maybe 3 years after purchase.  Conversation went like this:

You have built up some equity in the home, why don't you take some out while we do this?

Me; No thanks, don't need it.

Why not, you don't want to fix anything in your home, put an addition on or something?

Me: No thanks, I am single and don't need the room or want the extra debt.

Why not take it and buy yourself a nice car.  Look at me, my wife and I have a new BMW and a Hummer.  Bought both out of my house.

Me:  That's great for you, I am not interested for a number of reasons.

One other refi went like that also.  The guy from the conversation above I am pretty sure lost his house and got divorced at some point. 

2016-04-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yea that stuff is scary.  Some of the lending practices were really "questionable"!

I refi'd our current home 3 x's.  Twice to lower rate and last time to cut rate and duration.  The first time was maybe 3 years after purchase.  Conversation went like this:

You have built up some equity in the home, why don't you take some out while we do this?

Why not, you don't want to fix anything in your home, put an addition on or something?

Why not take it and buy yourself a nice car.  Look at me, my wife and I have a new BMW and a Hummer.  Bought both out of my house.

One other refi went like that also.  The guy from the conversation above I am pretty sure lost his house and got divorced at some point. 

I wonder if his wife got the BMW or the Hummer.

2016-04-11 3:22 PM

User image

Pro

I know which one HE'S not getting anymore.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-04-11 3:22 PM
2016-04-11 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Duh, they were MARRIED after all...
2016-04-11 3:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers

Duh, they were MARRIED after all...

Dammit boy!

2016-04-11 10:06 PM

User image

Yep, about the maturity level I expected !! ??
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ObamaMortgage Rss Feed  

of 1