United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 21m 47s
Overall Rank = 1386/3009
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 154/315
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in hotel on the island. Got up around 4:30am and had my typical pb&j sandwich, banana and diet coke. Drove to race. Parking volunteers were idiots and didn't know what was going on. Ended up parking probably close to 1/2 mile from transition. Bike check-in was previous day so I didn't have to worry about that. Grabbed wet suit and transition bag and started my walk to race site.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Not allowed in water prior to start. Just got transition setup, stopped by team tent to drop off extra stuff and started walk to race start.
Swim
  • 49m 53s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim for me. I just am not a good swimmer. Was hoping for closer to 45 minutes (due to wet suit) but can live with the 49 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 04m 23s
Comments:

Reasonable T1 for me. Nothing I would do differently.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

We went over a rather rough bridge at almost the 1/2 way point. On the return trip over the bridge my aero water bottle straw hit the lap button on my Garmin 920 so I basically lost race data at that point. I reset the watch to bike mode so I could monitor heart rate and cadence. My goal for the ride was 3 hours so I was ok with end result. I was in the 4th wave starting so had 2 pro waves and 1 women a/g wave ahead of me. I did not find the course to be too crowded and didn't see much drafting. Of course the younger guys that started behind be blew by me at some point but it was a good ride.

Stopped very briefly twice for nutrition and bottle refill. Stayed in aero pretty much the whole ride so my new fit is really working. Rented 404/808 combo due to issues with my stock wheels. Really liked the setup.

Nothing really. Had some issues getting my heart rate where I wanted it but after the face that was not big deal.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Normal T2. Nothing exciting.
Run
  • 2h 19m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot, humid and windy. A lot of out and backs with out and backs within the out and backs. Aid stations could have been spaced a little better. Had a few issues with water and Gatorade not being cold. Cold sponges at some stations. I don't eat anything besides what I carry so food at the stations is not an issue for me. I did take salt at every station.

My race goal was 6:15ish. Since I lost Garmin data half way through the bike ride I had no idea where I was within that goal. After starting the run in the heat I was guessing that I had no chance. I have done one other 70.3 prior to this with a 2:20 run in good conditions. My PR standalone 13.1 is around 2:10. About 1/2 way through this run I realized I could still pull a 2:20ish run despite the heat so I started pushing. Was actually thrilled with the 2:19 run and 6:21 total (12 minute 70.3 PR).

Nothing really. Thought pacing was good. Not being a good runner I will take what I can get.
Post race
Warm down:

Water at finish line. Had a piece of pizza in food tent then headed back to team tent. Just kind of walked around a bit and took my bike back to return rental wheels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ok with where I am.

Event comments:

Will be back next year.

Last updated: 2016-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:53 | 1900 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/315
Overall: 0/3009
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleevless wetsuit
Course: Simple out to first turn buoy. Left turn to next buoy and back to shore. All buoy were to our left which was perfect because I breath left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:23
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:24 | 56 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Basically an out and back along the coast of Galveston. A little meandering at the start and end of the ride. Mostly head/cross wind on the way out turning into a tail wind on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:43 | 13.1 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Course: Crazy 3 loop course around Moody Gardens.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-04-12 8:25 PM

Subject: Ironman Texas 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Texas 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

Started by tripletmom01
Views: 3564 Posts: 10

2010-04-29 6:08 AM SSMinnow

Started by ksmith76
Views: 1804 Posts: 1

2010-04-26 4:47 PM ksmith76

Started by hippotude
Views: 3344 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 8:03 AM hippotude

Started by roadrhino
Views: 2962 Posts: 12

2010-05-02 6:43 PM golfpro

Started by jpohlman
Views: 1784 Posts: 1

2010-04-25 9:04 PM jpohlman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.