General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water fail - advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-05-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Open water fail - advice

Originally posted by mike761  He's just grumpy because he's a 34 year old that claims Boston marathon results from a 52 year old, and people here on BT called him out of it. He also by his own admission does a lot of drugs to try and beat other AG'ers. So here may have been posting this after he missed his vein.

When did this happen, I missed that ?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-05-18 8:54 AM

2016-05-18 9:56 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by mike761  He's just grumpy because he's a 34 year old that claims Boston marathon results from a 52 year old, and people here on BT called him out of it. He also by his own admission does a lot of drugs to try and beat other AG'ers. So here may have been posting this after he missed his vein.

He claimed a time and race number from Boston marathon last month. Someone looked up the racer and found it was a 52 year old, they also pulled a pic of the guy crossing the finish line. This troll posting here is in the 30-34 age group according to his profile.

Of coarse he never responded when people called him out on it.
2016-05-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

He claimed a time and race number from Boston marathon last month. Someone looked up the racer and found it was a 52 year old, they also pulled a pic of the guy crossing the finish line. This troll posting here is in the 30-34 age group according to his profile. Of coarse he never responded when people called him out on it.

HAHA !  That's perfect

2016-05-18 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

He claimed a time and race number from Boston marathon last month. Someone looked up the racer and found it was a 52 year old, they also pulled a pic of the guy crossing the finish line. This troll posting here is in the 30-34 age group according to his profile. Of coarse he never responded when people called him out on it.

HAHA !  That's perfect

Here you go:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540548&posts=18#M5178229

2016-05-18 12:39 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Has he been banned?  It looks like some of his posts have been removed from threads. 

2016-05-18 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Has he been banned?  It looks like some of his posts have been removed from threads. 

I think that some folks have put him on their "Ignore User"  lists which would strip out some of his posts.

Mark

2016-05-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by linkslefty I just didn't realize how different the open water would be. Grant it, it was crazy conditions, but my pool workouts are 2400-2800m. I've done a 1000m time trial in close to 18mins. This is purely a mental thing, right? Is it just a matter of getting out of my head?

Part of it is mental and part of it is learning to be comfortable in conditions other than a glassy pool.  It does not take much chop on open water to change the experience pretty dramatically.  Even a 6 inch chop into your face can cause problems with breathing if you are not used to it.  I have done a lot of open water swimming over the years in all kinds of conditions and one of the things that boosted my confidence was the ability to alter my breathing pattern and to be equally adept at breathing to either side.  It is much easier to breath to the opposite side of the waves or chop that are hitting you.  I practiced this in the pool for months by breathing to one side one length and then breathing to the other side on the return until it was very nature to breathe to either side.

2016-05-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #5181742

Heeeeehaaaaaawwwwww!!!!!!
2016-05-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

HAHA !  That's perfect

Here you go:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540548&posts=18#M5178229

That is too funny!
2016-05-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5182540

As for not replying... I'm rarely on here as I spend the majority of my time on www.slowtwitch.com. When I saw that I "got called out" it was already too late to respond as you good detectives claim to know more than I do.
2016-05-18 4:40 PM
in reply to: andyewu08

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by andyewu08 As for not replying... I'm rarely on here as I spend the majority of my time on www.slowtwitch.com. When I saw that I "got called out" it was already too late to respond as you good detectives claim to know more than I do.

Did you ever find that mean coach who stole your toys?

2016-05-18 6:16 PM
in reply to: andyewu08

User image

Originally posted by andyewu08No reason to be banned... I've read the rules and I have not violated any of them. All I have given was my opinion and if those was to "ignore user" for my opinion, go for it. I half expect this username will get taken away but I'll just keep coming back. For those who think I'm "trolling", you're absolutely wrong. I've been in this forum for four years now... I think I've got better things to do than to "troll" for the last four years.
says the DB who claims someone else Boston results. Right, I got it..... You have nothing better to do !
2016-05-18 6:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by andyewu08No reason to be banned... I've read the rules and I have not violated any of them. All I have given was my opinion and if those was to "ignore user" for my opinion, go for it. I half expect this username will get taken away but I'll just keep coming back. For those who think I'm "trolling", you're absolutely wrong. I've been in this forum for four years now... I think I've got better things to do than to "troll" for the last four years.
says the DB who claims someone else Boston results. Right, I got it..... You have nothing better to do !

He's too busy doing an IM in 8:45, just as soon as he finds someone's bib number

Now where's my popcorn!

2016-05-19 6:56 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

He's too busy doing an IM in 8:45, just as soon as he finds someone's bib number

Now where's my popcorn!

He also said in another thread that he does PED's so that he can improve and qualify for Kona as an AG!

2016-05-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ChrisM

Now where's my popcorn!

He also said in another thread that he does PED's so that he can improve and qualify for Kona as an AG!

And the "PED" was vitamin D3.  [rolls eyes]

BTW, what the hel is the deal with him now using a different username???

2016-05-19 8:33 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
D3 is a PED?

What the??????????????

2016-05-19 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by linkslefty Thanks for the quick responses as I'm obviously frantic for feedback, feeling very discouraged. Yes, I had a wetsuit. First time open water racing, and really ows for any distance. It was choppy with some white caps. There were a handful of people who had to be pulled out by boat in front of us. I have practiced some sighting. I may have gone out too fast. But my arms tired quick and when I got short of breath that's when I started to panic. Raleigh is supposed to be hot. Not sure how choppy, but prob not wetsuit legal, which adds to my impending panic.

If you start to get that panicky feeling, just pause for a second, gather yourself, reorient yourself and go.

Raleigh is likely to be hot and borderline wetsuit legal.  Most years there is not much chop but the first year was windy and choppy.  It's been cool all week and the Army Corps of Engineers has the current water temperature at 73 (http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dailyrep.txt).  WTC's wetsuit cutoff is 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit.

2016-05-19 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5181742

As I said, I was wrongfully taken off using a specific username. I followed all the rules so there is no reason to take me off. As I said, if and when my second username gets taken off, I'll just start another one.

If they want a legitimate reason to ban me, where I won't come back, change the rules.
2016-05-20 2:08 PM
in reply to: #5182735

I want to sincerely thank you all, well those who posted constructive advice anyway. I have a Oly distance aqua bike tomorrow that I plan to attempt and put these fears and bad experience behind me with. I'm nervous, but confident I can finish it.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Just over two weeks to Raleigh!
2016-05-20 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by linkslefty I want to sincerely thank you all, well those who posted constructive advice anyway. I have a Oly distance aqua bike tomorrow that I plan to attempt and put these fears and bad experience behind me with. I'm nervous, but confident I can finish it. I'll let you all know how it goes. Just over two weeks to Raleigh!

Good luck this weekend with the Aqua Bike!  Don't go out too fast, settle into your own pace and you'll do fine!

Mark.  

2016-05-26 10:52 AM

Wanted to provide a quick update for those of you who helped with advice and thoughts. The aquabike was a success (other than being slow on the bike). The swim was a mass start, about 40 people, so not caring about my time I let most everyone go in front and brought up the rear. The water was chilly, but I just told myself to start slow and keep my heart rate and breathing down. It was a two loop 750m course, and I got settled in about 400m or so into the swim. I ended up bumping around a little because even at a slow cadence, I still passed half the field. After the first lap I was feeling much more confident and passed a few more people, and came out of the water in the upper 3rd part of the group. Somewhere around 28 minutes and change.

Needless to say I'm feeling much more confident for Raleigh in 10 days, though still hoping for a wetsuit legal race. Thank you again for all the encouragement and advice!

2016-05-26 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congratulations on a good result!  Well done!

Let your newly-developed confidence carry you forward.

Good luck,

Mark

2016-05-26 11:01 AM

User image

Congratulations!
2016-05-26 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by linkslefty

Wanted to provide a quick update for those of you who helped with advice and thoughts. The aquabike was a success (other than being slow on the bike). The swim was a mass start, about 40 people, so not caring about my time I let most everyone go in front and brought up the rear. The water was chilly, but I just told myself to start slow and keep my heart rate and breathing down. It was a two loop 750m course, and I got settled in about 400m or so into the swim. I ended up bumping around a little because even at a slow cadence, I still passed half the field. After the first lap I was feeling much more confident and passed a few more people, and came out of the water in the upper 3rd part of the group. Somewhere around 28 minutes and change.

Needless to say I'm feeling much more confident for Raleigh in 10 days, though still hoping for a wetsuit legal race. Thank you again for all the encouragement and advice!
Well done. now just remember all of that when it comes to Raleigh.
2016-05-27 8:34 AM

User image

Told you a race in "normal" conditions would be a cinch for you

The conditions for the event in your original post were dreadful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water fail - advice Rss Feed  

of 3