General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Frame size Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-16 3:59 PM

Subject: Bike Frame size
Hello, I'm new around here and triatlhon too (cycling)

1. I would like to buy a bike to start trainning, I am 5,9ft and I'm not sure what frame size is right for me.
2. Is a time trail bike the same as a triathlon bike?

Thanks for the help!

2016-05-16 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5182132

Subject: RE: Bike Frame size
My opinion as a casual observer to the industry is that TT bikes and tri bikes are now very different, and each is their own category where maybe 5 years ago they were one joint category. Triathlon bikes often have slightly more relaxed fit geometries to accomodate the longer distances and durations of triathlons (up to 112 mi for IM) vs TTs, which are often much much shorter (5 to 25 mIles maybe?). Tri bikes also have nutrition and storage features or capabilities integrated into their design, again to accommodate the longer time spent in the saddle. For instance, specialized makes the shiv and the shiv TT. And the bikes are incredibly different.

The question of what size is right for you is a complicated one. Some will tell you to get a $350 bike fit before even considering what brand or frame size to get, others may tell you to just Google what size you might be. If a bike fit isn't a budgetary problem, it's probably a good idea. If it is, there's lots of resources out there to research to try to make an educated purchase. GENERALLY, (don't skewer me, BT), 5 9 is in the middle of size ranges and you'd be looking at 52-54cm frames, or medium. But, could be different based on your anatomy/flexibility.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Frame size Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trying to decide frame Fuji frame size

Started by Eddie_c1m
Views: 2845 Posts: 2

2015-06-02 6:06 AM audiojan

TT bike frame size (P3)

Started by newbike
Views: 2200 Posts: 4

2011-10-03 1:39 PM FuryUs

bike frame size question

Started by noonan
Views: 815 Posts: 4

2007-06-08 12:00 PM auto208562

Bike Frame Size versus Bike Fit

Started by Jak
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2006-06-10 5:24 PM the bear

Question on Bike Frame Sizing

Started by maiorinc
Views: 935 Posts: 5

2005-05-13 1:57 PM maiorinc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : December 12, 2009
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : August 7, 2009
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?