General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Hydraton help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-20 8:18 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Need Hydraton help
I need to be doing better about hydration (don't we all?).
So I'm seeking a bit of advice as to what system you use. Like it? Hate it? Why?
I'm leaning towards a front mount system simply because with it right in my face I might remember to drink more often. But I'm open to other ideas as well.
Thanks in advance. Paul

2016-05-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Subject: RE: Need Hydraton help

I've been using a Xlab torpedo.  Works well and has out-front computer mount. 

2016-05-20 12:10 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I use the x-lab front mount, as well.  I like it for racing, as I don't have to get out of aero (at all in a sprint or oly, and only to refill it in an HIM).  For the HIM, I have an exlab wing under the seat of my P2 to carry 2 bottles (gorilla cages, slightly off vertical to discourage launching them on potholes).  I take that off for sprints or Oly's but otherwise also use it for my training rides (gets hot here in TX).

For my road bike, I have two gorilla cages on the down and seat tubes.  Will put an extra bottle in my jersey if needed, but the cages are usually enough with big bottles and a stop or two on long rides.

Works for me (YMMV).  Good luck!

Matt

2016-05-20 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Save money and just zip tie a cage and throw a regular bottle between the arms.

2016-05-20 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I have the BTA X-Lab system that tri sports is selling. I thought it would be the cat's meow. I'm just not that impressed with it.

First of all, it's supposed to have a 26 oz. capacity. I can never get all 26 ounces out of it, though. The bite valve makes you sip when you drink, but it's also a little like a chore to get as much as I want, sometimes.

I think it looks cool and it's probably very aero..........at least more aero than the big Profile Design bottle I was using. I still wish there was something better. Oh....the adjustable Garmin mount took some serious tightening to get it to stay put. That part's OK. For sprints, it's fine. Even for an Oly, I didn't like it that much, though.
2016-05-20 4:25 PM
in reply to: #5182806

If the bite valve is too restricting, you could put a generic straw in and/or cut the bite valve.

2016-05-20 4:53 PM
in reply to: #5182913

I tried the zip-tie-a-regular-cage approchand found it more of a an annoyance while riding than a convenience. It always jiggled around, bottle would slide out a bit and id ha e to tuck it in, and never sat right...it's worth a try if you have some zip ties around but I would go for a more formal option with features like a computer mount. Way worth it IMO.
2016-05-20 5:42 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I used an XLab Torpedo for my IM and it worked great. Having your hydration right in front of you definitely helps to remember to drink more often. My only challenge was that the bottle did not want to stay put on bumps, railroad tracks, etc. I solved this by using a Road ID slim strap which I placed around the bottle and the cage. That sucker definitely stays put that way!

2016-05-20 6:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hydration is a big deal for me, because where I live and train, you can't drink the tap water and there is nowhere to buy drinks in the place where I do my outdoor rides. So my bike is set up for maximum water capacity--cage on the down tube, Profile Design two-bottle torpedo mount in back, aerobottle in front. Plus I will sometimes carry another bottle in my jersey or a small pack to switch out for an empty. Seriously. That's what it takes to get through a 3-4-hour ride!

I've noticed that it really matters what bottles one puts into the torpedo mount. The taller Polar bottles have a tendency to eject. It helps to have a bottle with a bit shorter, wider configuration. (Plus it makes it easier to get off the bike in a race if the back bottles are shorter.) Races and bike tours in Asia tend to give away the shorter bottles, I think Polar or Camelback also has shorter, wider bottle that works well in the back.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Hydraton help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need to get to Boston, need help Pages: 1 2

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1814 Posts: 31

2009-10-23 12:32 PM fgump

Swimming help-training help needed

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 1338 Posts: 8

2009-07-06 8:13 PM Zupe

need some bike tech help...rear derailleur hanger needed

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1377 Posts: 7

2009-05-11 3:12 PM pitt83

NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit

Started by sdl135
Views: 1513 Posts: 4

2008-05-20 8:02 AM nevergivin

Need help w/ gel/hydration needed for marathon/mary trng

Started by tri42
Views: 1355 Posts: 12

2007-09-18 11:54 AM tri42
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.