General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why should you swim straight ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 11:17 AM

User image

Subject: Why should you swim straight ?

Because if you do not this will happen.  Race swim split and Garmin swim split within 4 seconds of each other.  Swim stat from race website, ~600 yds = 1:32/100.  Garmin swim split stats, 878 yds = 1:04 / 100.   I knew I had a bad swim course wise but wow.  The water was rough but I normally like that.   Everyone had to deal with it and based on what I heard post race a number of people had questions about the swim.  For all I know the course was a little long although I definitely swam at least an extra 100 yds.   But looking at my line on Garmin connect I want to smack myself right now.  

2016-06-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Why should you swim straight ?
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Because if you do not this will happen.  Race swim split and Garmin swim split within 4 seconds of each other.  Swim stat from race website, ~600 yds = 1:32/100.  Garmin swim split stats, 878 yds = 1:04 / 100.   I knew I had a bad swim course wise but wow.  The water was rough but I normally like that.   Everyone had to deal with it and based on what I heard post race a number of people had questions about the swim.  For all I know the course was a little long although I definitely swam at least an extra 100 yds.   But looking at my line on Garmin connect I want to smack myself right now.  

GPS does not track the swim super accurate. So is the time reasonable? can you swim a 1:04/100 avg pace for 900 yards in the pool? My guess is that the gps was not tracking perfect
2016-06-13 11:40 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

your garmin swim, especially in on your wrist, is essentially useless.  but yes swimming straight is important

2016-06-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

GPS does not track the swim super accurate. So is the time reasonable? can you swim a 1:04/100 avg pace for 900 yards in the pool? My guess is that the gps was not tracking perfect
The 1:04 is probably pretty close for this swim. There was some current toward the end and I went out quick. The pace I don't care how accurate it is. The line I took was definitely off. I usually study the swim pretty close as I've lost being out of the water first at two big races due to not knowing the markers. This swim there was a number of course corrections from waves and water support. The three or four drastic turns I have I remember. It wasn't until I downloaded it this morning and looked just now did I realize how bad it was.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why should you swim straight ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming Straight

Started by coglenn
Views: 863 Posts: 3

2007-06-05 9:17 AM marmadaddy

Straight Swimming?

Started by poolejr
Views: 625 Posts: 6

2005-09-05 7:37 PM jellyfish

ugh.. can't swim straight

Started by onefitgeek
Views: 590 Posts: 5

2005-07-11 3:39 PM runnergirl29

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2508 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

Ever had trouble swimming straight in the lane?

Started by PhoenixRises
Views: 1020 Posts: 5

2004-05-20 5:12 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : March 19, 2007
author : mrakes1
Straight Arm Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Bicep Curl-Cable Straight Bar strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".