General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet another newbie - almost.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-15 3:54 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Yet another newbie - almost....
Hi All

I'm a newbie really - I did a corporate sprint tri event about 5 years ago and nearly killed myself as i didn't really train for it (I hadn't even been in the pool for a year before that first dive in - not clever I know... )

I'm now committed to a sprint tri in England on 2nd May 04 and planning my training and kit etc. I've been regularly running for a couple of years so have reasonable running endurance. Haven't ridden my bike in 2 years and have only recently started swimming again so am going to properly train and plan this time!!!

Anybody help me with some goals - like a reasonable time to aim for? The race is 400m pool swim/20km cycle/5km run. I feel comfortable with completing it but need something more specific and challenging to keep the motivation going until May. I tend to be a bit of a slow plodder on the road and in the pool so need something to drive me towards some speed work when I get a more solid base of endurance.

I look forward to your suggestions and learning from your experiences :-)

"Your past is not your potential......."

2003-12-15 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2514

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Yet another newbie - almost....
Welcome aboard! As far as time goals, each race is different with distances and conditions. For instance, since I am from Florida, my races will be flat (except for over causeways) and a race in the mountains would have much different times. Take a look at the previous race results for that race and shoot for middle of the pack.
2003-12-16 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

check out the race report form last year on that tri and see what times people finished at.  also, don't get too bogged down by 'reasonable' times.  its your race...if you train for YOUR race, less chance for injury/exhaustion....a lot of us race other's races burn out early.  work on a good, conservative solid base in the run, bike AND swim from your sprints up through your olys...once u have that great base established, then would be a good time to focus on speed.  BUT this is just my opinion.

look forward to hearing from u bigpikle.

2003-12-17 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
England
Thanks for your comments & support. I'm just going to train carefully and build slowly and make sure I keep enjoying it. I've had to miss a couple of days activities this week due to work commitments and already miss it a bit so just want to keep it fun. I have looked at a few results and 1:15-1:20 seems to be about halfway down the field so I will aim for 1:20 and see how this looks nearer May.

Look forward to learning more from you all.

BP
2003-12-18 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Hello, Glad to see another almost Newbie join the group! This is a lively bunch of fellow triathletes. Just getting started and committing to a race timeframe is a huge accomplishment. Keep focused and I sure you will reach your goal. I myself got a copy of Triathlete's Complete Tri Book to get me on track and I am in process of devising a thorough training schedule to keep me honest. Also, after the Holidays I will be looking into joining a local Tri group for constant motivation and experience. Welcome and good luck!

Lee

Edited by speedlee 2003-12-18 1:26 PM
2003-12-19 1:05 AM

User image

Expert
England
Good to hear from you all. I just finished reading The Triathletes Training Bible and while i learned loads of ideas and principles to guide me, it really is focused on more experienced athletes with PB's to better etc. I think it will suit me much better in season 2 rather than just starting out....again....but will serve as a good foundation of knowledge.

I think I'll try a simplistic HRM based programme initially as i need to build aerobic endurance on the bike and in the pool for a couple of months and then build in some intensity into all 3 sports. It's my third week in the pool so far and already I've seen massive improvements in my endurance (and enjoyment) of swimming. The addition of a turbo trainer will hopefully get me the same results on my bike over the next few weeks until the weather improves in the spring.

I just hope my motivation doesn't fade - hence the goals. I've lost 19 pounds in the last 3 months and am now a more reasonable 173 lbs/6'0" so really need to focus on maintaining that and getting fitter and faster. I hope what I'll learn here and the stories of each of your achievements will play a key part in that process.

Happy Christmas and 2004 everyone!

BP

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet another newbie - almost.... Rss Feed