Angel Island, California
United States
Enviro-Sports
Total Time = 1h 00m 40s
Overall Rank = 29/310
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/26
Pre-race routine:

I did the Angel Island 12K trail run. This event is put on by Enviro Sports which is a local company that puts together interesting and fun events primarily in Northern California. The events tend to be relatively small, low key, and fun (they give out a rubber chicken to all the first place finishers).

Since running the marathon 4 weeks ago, I’ve been slowly recovering from knee pains. I’ve only been able to run less than 20 training miles since then and have only been able to run pain free in the last week. Consequently, I had initially planned to do this run as a low key training run and to pace along with my wife. As I was reviewing the course and the elevation profile the evening before the race, I got the bug to race it rather than run it. It’s a trail race with a couple hills which took me back a bit to my roots when I was an avid hiker and was how I first started running.

So, the night before the race, I had a bit of trouble sleeping (this is starting to become a habit for me). I was up at 4am since I couldn’t sleep. I did some reading until 6:30am and then woke up my wife. It looked overcast outside and the forecast called for morning clouds burning off with an eventual high of about 70. It’s always a trick here in the bay area to predict the weather because of the microclimates and determine the appropriate clothing. I always prefer to run in a tank top, but I opt for a compression t-shirt which I think will be a reasonable balance in keeping me warm and cool enough.

We drive over to Tiburon so we can catch the ferry over to Angel Island. The race instructions say to be there by 8:30. We get to the dock at about 8:10 and there are a couple hundred people already there. On the ferry ride over, it seems like everyone around me (including my wife) has some model ipod, although technically headphones aren’t allowed on the race, esp. since it’s mostly a singletrack trail . We take the short ride over to Angel Island, make a quick restroom stop and then head over to the start/finish area which is the big picnic area by Ayala Cove.

Event warmup:

We do some quick warms ups, but we’re later told that there is another ferry coming with the rest of the racers so it’ll be at least another 25 minutes before we start. It’s still a little chilly so we’re trying to stay warm and energized. Finally the other ferry arrives and we can start.

Run
  • 1h 00m 40s
  • 12 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

The 25K runners start first, maybe 100 of them. They will basically have to do 2 loops of the course. Ten minutes later, we’re lined up and ready to go. I decide to line up in about the third row of people. The run starts out with a circle around the picnic area which is good mini-warmup before headed up the trail.

So, for the first mile, the trail climbs about 300 ft. It always takes me about 10-15 minutes to warm up so I don’t want to push myself too hard. I pass a few people on the uphill and am passed by some as well. Passing is always a tricky maneuver on a single track trail which adds another bit of adventure to the race. The trail is generally in good condition, but there are some very narrow and slanted spots on the trail that make the footing tricky and even a big 3 foot wide hole in the trail where they removed a stump.

I pace behind a woman with short red hair and black leggings. I’m feeling warmed up and pretty strong so I finally decided to pass the woman. I always call out “on your left” when passing on the trail because it is so narrow and it’d be very easy to get tangled up with someone if they aren’t expecting you to pass. I start making up time on some folks ahead of me. We turn onto a fireroad and are soon greeted with a view of the golden gate bridge across the bay.

The fireroad is relatively level with a slight bit of downhill for the next couple miles. I’m worried about by knees, but all seems to be good – no pain. I pass a few folks some of whom were 25K runners in the first start group. Eventually, I hear footsteps behind me. First a woman in blue shorts passes me. Then I’m surrounded by a pack of about 6 people who pass me including the red headed woman, an older guy in a blue tank, two young women in white cotton t-shirts and face paint, and a guy in a gray t-shirt. They slowly pull away from me.

We start heading uphill again for another 300 ft of elevation gain. The red headed woman begins to walk and drink from her water bottle (there are no aid stations other than at the start/finish so you only have what you bring. I chose not to carry any water since it was only 12K and it would have meant extra weight). I pass her and begin passing many more of the slower 25K runners. One of the 25K runners says “nice job” as I pass her on the uphill, which was nice to hear. I’m gaining on the rest of larger group that passed me before. I finally catch them and pace behind them awhile. I pass the guy in the gray shirt and pace behind the two young women in the white t-shirts. We continue upwards until about mile 5.

The downhill is fairly slight to start, so in one way it seems easier, but my pace is a faster and the downhill is harder on the quads. We passing more of the slower 25K runners and other people just hiking the trail. After a bit, we come to a full stop and there are about 15 people here. Apparently there was an older guy who had a heart attack further down the trail so they are rerouting us. We have to slide down the side of the hill to get to the trail below.

Through all the confusion, I’m able to slide down ahead of the group I was pacing before. As we get going in again, we’re fairly crowded on the trail. I get asked to be passed, but it’s really tight and crazy on the downhill since it’s steeper now. I eventually make way for three to pass including one of the young women in white t-shirt and the guy in the gray shirt. The other white t-shirt and the guy in the blue tank are behind me.

We’re flying down the hill. It’s crazy trying to watch your footing (uneven trail, roots) and having to duck below overhanging branches. Every so often, there are runners coming uphill on the same trail. These are the lead 25K runners who are out on their second loop. This is pretty crazy with us flying down the hill, trying to pass slow 25K runners in the same direction and have fast 25K runners coming uphill. The white t-shirt and blue tank top want to pass me, but it’s tough. I duck back to the right because of an oncoming uphill runner, an apparently he smacks right into the white t-shirt behind me. She sounds okay (as I later over heard her talking, she said remained standing, but the uphill runner ended up falling down), but I’m flying ahead.

So, the trail start to open up a bit and we can see down to the cove where we started. The guy in the grey shirt can’t keep up the pace so I pass him. At one of the last turns, the girl directing us says to me “you in the neon yellow cap. Your cap is cool.” I thank her and am near the end. I see the finish area so I’m giving it a full sprint with everything I have left. As I pass the timekeeper, he shouts out one hour 40 seconds.

I stop my Garmin. It also says 1:00, 7.45 miles, 8:07 average pace, 172 average heart rate. Holy cow! I’ve never run any (timed) distance where I’ve been able to run that pace, much less a trail race. I was surprised how high my heart rate was (turns out I hit peaks of 185 twice - at the first uphill and at the sprint at the finish) because I ran by PEL and felt pretty good (i.e. my heart never felt like it was going to leap out of my chest). As it turned out, I finished 29/310 overall (yeah!) and 9/26 (?!) in my age group (geez, 35-39 male group seems awfully competitive) and I’m very happy. Also great news, my knees don’t hurt!!!

Post race
Warm down:

I chow down a couple bananas, cups of Gatorade, and some Red Vines licorice and wait for my wife to finish. I see her and cheer her on and she finishes strong. We grab her some food and drink so that we can catch the ferry that just arrived and have a pleasant brunch in Tiburon. All in all, a very enjoyable day of racing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:40 | 12 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 9/26
Overall: 26/310
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: