General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit ultimate compression garment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-13 4:41 PM

Subject: Wetsuit ultimate compression garment
I am a former competitive swimmer who only recently broke down and purchased a wetsuit after nearly drowning in 58 degree water without one. I must admit the darn things have their advantages: warmth and stealth peeing being just two. Since I despise yanking them on in transition, I have begun body marking myself and leisurely putting my wetsuit on at home and wearing it to the race. I have noticed that by wearing it for a couple of hours, I feel far less constricted when swimming and my legs are much fresher during bike/run. Could the wetsuit be helping?

2016-07-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: onefinwonder

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit ultimate compression garment

If your wetsuit is appropriately compression gear tight, no wonder you hate putting it on.  Mine is snug but it's not compression tight (and definitely not graduated, which is usually the standard).

I'm not aware of any studies showing compression gear helps performance and in fact what i've seen is really inconclusive.

But if it helps mentally that works too (it does take 5 minutes or so to get it on correctly in transition, although I can't imagine having the westuit on that long, I guess you don't have the typical pre-race code browns   )

2016-07-13 10:43 PM

Originally posted by onefinwonder

I am a former competitive swimmer who only recently broke down and purchased a wetsuit after nearly drowning in 58 degree water without one. I must admit the darn things have their advantages: warmth and stealth peeing being just two. Since I despise yanking them on in transition, I have begun body marking myself and leisurely putting my wetsuit on at home and wearing it to the race. I have noticed that by wearing it for a couple of hours, I feel far less constricted when swimming and my legs are much fresher during bike/run. Could the wetsuit be helping?

When is peeing during the swim NOT stealth?
2016-07-14 7:07 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The only reason I could think of is that the wet suit is keeping you very warm before the race starts. Some people perform better in warm weather than in cold weather.
2016-07-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm not sure on the science either, but I have clients that swear they cramp less in races where they where their wetsuit.
2016-07-14 5:27 PM
in reply to: #5190747

Thank you for your feedback. Since I do have low thyroid and an abnormally low constant body temperature, the extra warmth the wetsuit provides most likely is helping. In any event, I am sold on wetsuits.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit ultimate compression garment Rss Feed