General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New again Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-14 10:10 AM

User image

Subject: New again
Wow, just checked my profile and I signed up here in 2007. Still haven't done my first triathlon but that will officially change on Saturday. After signing my 9 year old up for her June Tri, I decided it really is time for me to do one. I found a potential target race on Labor Day and I started doing more swimming, some riding and running regularly. As usual, something happened and my training dropped off a bit, but not entirely. I found a race that included a My First Tri category and it seems perfect for me to dip my toe into the water. 150M pool swim, 6m bike, 1.5m run. It is crazy how I can know that I can make it but am still so nervous about getting through it all. As it gets closer I am more and more impressed with my 9 year old, who periodically suffers from anxiety issues, and her ability to tackle her first tri without a second thought.

I'm prepared able to swim 3x200 in the pool in training, longest bike has been 20m and my runs are up to about 45 minutes. I run for time at a heartrate during training partially because I take my dog and she literally slows me down if I start to push - feels like she knows my limits better than me. I have mixed in one Brick so I have an idea of how the transition from bike to run will feel.

I'll post a report after the race. Need help figuring out which race to do next.
September 5th 300M swim, 15mile bike, 5k
September 10th 350M, 12m, 5k

I think both are probably doable. The one on the 5th, my kids may enter the kids event as well. I don't think I would be able to watch them and do my own event. If I enter the one on the 10th, that is a lot of time at triathlons in a week. I suppose option 3 is to dig into the calendar and find another event maybe a little further out to plan as my first sprint.

2016-07-14 11:26 PM
in reply to: notquitethere

Subject: RE: New again
Good for you doing the first Tri with your kid and wanting to do a sprint before the season is over. Go for it and have fun! Savor the success of crossing the finish I line on your first Tri.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New again Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New again from NYC -- a reintroduction

Started by mildew33
Views: 888 Posts: 7

2008-07-26 4:35 PM Jiggies

New Again

Started by pastoragp
Views: 523 Posts: 3

2007-09-27 7:39 AM pastoragp

New here, new again to the sport

Started by briderdt
Views: 871 Posts: 4

2006-01-24 6:30 AM smokeater1833

new - again

Started by bootygirl
Views: 532 Posts: 5

2005-09-06 1:56 PM egent

NEW AGAIN

Started by BKELLY
Views: 849 Posts: 8

2004-07-05 10:51 PM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.