General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling awful after intense workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-15 10:20 AM

Subject: Feeling awful after intense workouts
I'm a 35 male, 6' / 155lb. In 2013, I completed an Ironman and since then I've been focused on running. During my Ironman training, I did all heart rate training, making a point to keep the majority of my training aerobic. During that time, I remember having no issues with nutrition or feeling off during the 40 weeks.

For the last 18 months, I've been running pretty aggressively with a local running group. We do track workouts on Tuesdays and tempos on Thursday. Over the last 9 months, I would notice I'd feel crappy later in the day, proportionally worse on the more intense days (Tues/Thurs).

The feeling: It's general brain fog in the morning, my eyes feels puffy and if I don't do anything, turns in to a headache by lunch and ultimately incapacitates me by dinner where I'm extremely nauseous, lethargic, have a headache and can't do anything.

The worse days seemed to be tied to lack of carbs, so I changed my diet to specifically eat more carb heavy foods in the morning (i.e. oatmeal, etc.) and that seemed to help for awhile. And then I noticed that alone wasn't enough. So I started supplementing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich mid-morning -- that helped for awhile too. But now it's like I can't keep up. Even my recovery runs have some the same feeling mid-morning, except that I can mostly control.

I bought a glucose monitor and my blood sugar is really constant and normal (90's) during all of the times I feel crappy. In my research, the feeling seems to be what glycogen depletion would feel like where sugar is pulled from your brain first, to be restored to the muscles. But I can no longer eat enough to NOT feel crappy during any runs.

I started working with a nutritionist who's familiar with endurance events (she's an Ironman herself) and she's helped me focus on eating the right combo of things and getting hydration, but I can't help feel like something else isn't quite right. A few years ago I had no problems with this, which makes me believe something else is going on.

I recently had a physical and full blood workup and everything checked out as normal. The nutritionist believes I need to eat more, but I've been eating as much as my body can tolerate (I feeling uncomfortable feel all morning because of everything I'm eating and it's still not enough).

I'd like to continue running if possible. I can certainly dial back the intensity, but it seems even that won't be enough given that I still feel a little bit of the brain fog after recovery runs now.

Any ideas why I feel like this and how I might go about improving it?

Thanks so much for your help.

2016-07-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: frist44

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Feeling awful after intense workouts
It sounds like you've already checked out a number of medical possibilities so not sure I can be any help but, having suffered through a lot of hard run workouts in my life, I can think of a few things:

*Cooldown and recovery. What happens after you finish the intervals or tempo? Are you doing an adequate cooldown at a very easy pace? I trained with a very high-powered team in college, and I know that for some of them, their "cooldown" pace was simply not an easy run for me. Maybe you are getting an inadequate cooldown either due to time pressure to get back to work (or home or wherever) or keeping up with faster runners to be social? People differ in how much they need but if you are doing less than 10-15 minutes, you might try a longer, easier cooldown.

*Timing of refueling/rehydration after the workouts. If you wait too long, it can delay recovery.

*Sleep/recovery. Not getting enough in general, and/or poor sleep quality after an intense workout. I can't tell from your post if you are doing these workouts mainly early AM or in the evening. If the latter, cooldown (both from the workout and in a more general sense) becomes more important. Back when I did most of my training after work, I struggled with insomnia and some other issues (migraines after workouts, asthma at night). There was no physical cause and one doctor who did endurance sports suggested it might be more of a nervous system arousal issue. Hard training is both physically and mentally stimulating and gets the body into "go" mode with elevated core temp, heart rate, breathing, all sorts of stress hormones, lactic acid. If you try to move quickly to "rest" mode without adequate cooldown, cooling, and mentally relaxing "down time" (which not everyone has time for in late evening), it can seriously affect sleep and feelings of well-being. In my case, this was compounded by training in tropical heat and at a time of day when air quality was worse. I finally moved all my bike and run workouts to early AM, and rarely have such issues anymore.

*Effort level. Maybe you are simply hitting the paces a bit too hard for your current fitness. That is easy to do in a timed, group workout situation. Have you determined the paces based on race results or an LT test? Even if you have, you may have to modify the "theoretical" paces from the charts a little until your body is used to a higher level of intensity. With most of those pace charts, an athlete will perform somewhat better/more comfortably at the distance they have more experience and/or natural aptitude for. It's rare for pace charts to truly show equivalent efforts for an individual.

You mention that you are coming from an IM training background with mainly aerobic efforts, Track intervals and tempo runs are different animals. My run background was mainly in 5 and 10K at high school and college level, so I've done my share of intense running. In recent years, I've mainly focused on tri, especially HIM. Pretty much every time I do a sprint tri, I feel ill (in the manner you've described) through most of the run and up to 24 hours after the race. It's just a higher level of intensity than HIM training typically prepares me for. I have the speed to be competitive in my AG in a sprint, but it often seems harder to gut out a sprint tri than do a good HIM. I'm quite sure if I tried to do one of my high school or college track workouts at the same level of intensity (adjusted for age and fitness), I'd feel the same way. Maybe try backing off the paces a bit, or running with the HR monitor again and backing off if your HR gets above a certain level, rather than just trying to hang with a group?

*Finally, if these workouts are early AM, caffeine? Most of my intense biking/running is done between 5 and 6:30 in the morning, and then I go to teach fifth grade and coach for 8-10 hours after. Not sure I could cope without a couple of espresso shots before the kiddos arrive!

2016-07-19 2:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Subject: RE: Feeling awful after intense workouts
Thank you for such an informative post.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling awful after intense workouts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

intense fatigue, inner thighs/groin area, during bike

Started by slowman79
Views: 1160 Posts: 3

2012-08-24 9:51 AM AdCo

intense pain on ball of foot, worse after biking

Started by pamala
Views: 1674 Posts: 6

2010-09-30 6:24 PM midessa7

Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling

Started by wannabeatrier
Views: 712 Posts: 3

2007-03-28 9:03 AM wannabeatrier

intense heat in ball of foot on run

Started by autumn
Views: 3575 Posts: 10

2006-09-12 12:22 PM gair70.3

Sudden Intense Foot Pain

Started by LauraLee
Views: 2441 Posts: 6

2016-07-19 2:12 AM coppiper
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle