User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Polls

Polls are still crazy.

LA Times has the race tied
Ipsos has Clinton +4
McClatchy has Clinton +15  (lol)

It's really interesting how they can be so far apart.

One fun fact:  Obama was 10 points down to McCain in September 2008.
I do enjoy all my FB friends who have completely written off the Trump.  They need to be careful how much the push the "he's over" narrative because there would be no need for anyone to go out and vote for Hillary.  I mean, she's already won and all. 

2016-08-05 10:38 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Katy, Texas
According to realclearpolitics.com average polling data, it looks like Trump is giving up voters to all three of the other candidates.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (101KB - 4 downloads)
2016-08-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Here's 538's latest take of Trumps dip in most recent polls:

"There’s no longer any doubt that the party conventions have shifted the presidential election substantially toward Hillary Clinton. She received a larger bounce from her convention than Donald Trump got from his, but Trump has continued to poll so poorly in state and national surveys over the past two days that his problems may be getting worse.

The recent Fox News, Marist College and NBC News/Wall Street Journal national polls show Trump trailing Clinton by 9 to 14 percentage points, margins that would make for the largest general election blowout since 1984 if they held. Clinton’s numbers in those polls are on the high end of what we’ve seen lately — Marist, for instance, has generally had a Clinton-leaning house effect in its polls this year. By contrast, a series of polls released earlier in the week generally put Clinton’s advantage at 5 to 8 percentage points.

The new polls are noteworthy, however, because they postdate the earlier surveys — Marist’s poll was conducted Monday through Wednesday, for instance. That opens up the possibility that the spiral of negative stories for Trump, such as his criticism of the family of a Muslim-American soldier killed in action and his renewed feud with GOP leadership, are deepening his problems above and beyond Clinton’s convention bounce. Not only have Clinton’s numbers risen since the Democratic National Convention, but Trump’s numbers have fallen back into the mid- to high 30s in polls that include third-party candidates. And Trump’s favorability ratings, following modest improvement after his convention, are now about as bad as they’ve ever been.

Meanwhile, polls of Michigan, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire — three swing states with demographics that, in theory, could be friendly to Trump — showed Clinton with leads of 9 percentage points, 11 points and 15 points, respectively. Those are big leads for Clinton, but they shouldn’t be all that surprising: The margins look a lot like the ones by which Barack Obama defeated John McCain in those states in 2008, an election he won by 7.3 percentage points overall. According to our now-cast, Clinton would defeat Trump by a similar margin nationally, 7.9 percentage points, in a hypothetical election held today. Compared with that new, higher baseline for Clinton, a Suffolk poll showing her “only” 4 points ahead of Trump in Florida, which would have looked like an excellent result for her a week ago, is middling."

His best chance that he has some control over to make up ground now hinges on his performance in the debates - if he agrees to even do any. Good luck with that!
2016-08-05 1:12 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

You can split hairs about how big a difference there is between the two candidates, but there's no arguing the trend over the last month.

2016-08-05 4:37 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Georgia in play for Clinton? Wow....

"Hillary Clinton is riding high in the polls. How high? A poll released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Friday found Clinton leading Trump in Georgia, 41 percent to 38 percent. That follows other Georgia polls published this week also showing a close race in the Peach State. A Democratic presidential nominee hasn’t carried Georgia since 1992."
2016-08-05 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Georgia in play for Clinton? Wow.... "Hillary Clinton is riding high in the polls. How high? A poll released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Friday found Clinton leading Trump in Georgia, 41 percent to 38 percent. That follows other Georgia polls published this week also showing a close race in the Peach State. A Democratic presidential nominee hasn’t carried Georgia since 1992."

Might as well call the election.   

2016-08-05 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ejshowers Georgia in play for Clinton? Wow.... "Hillary Clinton is riding high in the polls. How high? A poll released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Friday found Clinton leading Trump in Georgia, 41 percent to 38 percent. That follows other Georgia polls published this week also showing a close race in the Peach State. A Democratic presidential nominee hasn’t carried Georgia since 1992."

yep unless the Clinton vote fraud scandal gets legs I think Trump is done. Then again never discount voter apathy.
2016-08-05 6:32 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by chirunner134

yep unless the Clinton vote fraud scandal gets legs I think Trump is done. Then again never discount voter apathy.
All I can say is that I got really overconfident in 2008 when McCain was crushing Obama in the polls and he was all over conservative media as the last qualified candidate in history with zero chance of winning...
2016-08-05 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

All I can say is that I got really overconfident in 2008 when McCain was crushing Obama in the polls and he was all over conservative media as the last qualified candidate in history with zero chance of winning...

I think you are suffering from selective memory syndrome. McCain really only had one decent week in early Sept. Otherwise, Obama was winning almost every poll from June on. Check this link:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_e...

2016-08-06 2:11 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ejshowers

I think you are suffering from selective memory syndrome. McCain really only had one decent week in early Sept. Otherwise, Obama was winning almost every poll from June on. Check this link: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_e...

It's more likely that Fox News was suffering from selective poll syndrome

2016-08-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Alabama

Agree.  It is hard to motivate you base when you are up by double digits.  One thing for certain, Trump's campaign is looking at the same polls and know something has to change or he is done.  So they will do something.  I heard this weekend one of the talking heads say the best news for Trump is that this is only August.

My guess it there will be more emails to come out.  I've said all along that ALL the emails are out there somewhere.  It is naïve to think that foreign intel agencies did not even try to hack the US Secretary of State's email....and from what the FBI said, her server lacked even the most basic of anti-hacking software such as what you'd find in gmail. 

So I do think there will be another shoe to drop.....but sadly, I don't think people care.

2016-08-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

I think you are suffering from selective memory syndrome. McCain really only had one decent week in early Sept. Otherwise, Obama was winning almost every poll from June on. Check this link: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_e...

It's more likely that Fox News was suffering from selective poll syndrome

lol, what I was referring to was the time when McCain took the lead in the first part of September.  He had a great convention and everything was rolling.  Everyone was bashing on Obama being the least qualified candidate in history and that he was so dangerous he couldn't even pass a security background check (which was and is true ironically enough).  McCain was up in almost all the polls like Hillary is now with some outliers in the double digits.
What I'm getting at is I got over confident and felt as the election was in the bag.  Obviously I was very wrong and events such as the economic collapse had a massive impact on the election.

I guess my main point is that there's a lot of time, debates, and an October surprise or two yet to impact the election.  The only reason Hillary is up on Trump is because she's doing a better job of attacking Trump personally.

On a side note I read an article that was a little interesting over the weekend.  It mentioned how there are several different major polling methodologies that people are using.  There are Clinton vs. Trump with registered voters, Clinton vs. Trump with likely voters, Clinton vs. Trump with Johnson (both registered & likely voters), and Clinton vs. Trump with Johnson and Stein (both registered & likely voters).

They all have a trend of Hillary on top, but the most accurate scenario with Trump/Hillary/Johnson/Stein with likely voters are mostly low single digit leads with Hillary on top.  Basically within the margin of error.

RCP does a good job of showing the polls and lists RV vs. LV as the poll and has a tab with the 2, 3, and 4 person race.  You'll notice they're very heavy on RV polls and the LV polls are a lot closer.

2016-08-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio

Agree.  It is hard to motivate you base when you are up by double digits.  One thing for certain, Trump's campaign is looking at the same polls and know something has to change or he is done.  So they will do something.  I heard this weekend one of the talking heads say the best news for Trump is that this is only August.

My guess it there will be more emails to come out.  I've said all along that ALL the emails are out there somewhere.  It is naïve to think that foreign intel agencies did not even try to hack the US Secretary of State's email....and from what the FBI said, her server lacked even the most basic of anti-hacking software such as what you'd find in gmail. 

So I do think there will be another shoe to drop.....but sadly, I don't think people care.

With these two going at it I'm almost certain there will be about 5 more shoes to drop on both sides.  hah

2016-08-08 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

This is what I don't get about polls.  41% to 38% in a poll that likely has an admitted margin of error of +/- 3%.  Also 41 + 38 = 79 so still 21% undecided, other candidates or refuse to answer.  I will vote for Trump but I refuse to take a poll.  People need to make up their minds and not be swayed by how winds are blowing in the polls.

2016-08-08 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

This is what I don't get about polls.  41% to 38% in a poll that likely has an admitted margin of error of +/- 3%.  Also 41 + 38 = 79 so still 21% undecided, other candidates or refuse to answer.  I will vote for Trump but I refuse to take a poll.  People need to make up their minds and not be swayed by how winds are blowing in the polls.

the takeaway here isn't the number, its the fact that a democratic candidate is leading, or tied if you want to take the margin of error, in a very red state.

2016-08-08 11:50 AM

Master
, California

Not sure about the full poll you were looking at but the Libertarian and Green parties were sitting at something around 9% and 5%, which gets you into the mid-90s for "decided".

2016-08-08 12:06 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by dmiller5

the takeaway here isn't the number, its the fact that a democratic candidate is leading, or tied if you want to take the margin of error, in a very red state.

Yeah, you are still missing the point about polls.  You cannot say with certainly that one democrat candidate is leading or tied if your data are only accurate to +/- 4% (on a good day).  All you can say is the candidates are close enough that we cannot tell you who is ahead.....however are data suggest a trend towards one candidate.  In engineering you assume the WORST case not the best case....which is what they are doing. 

For a 4 point MOE, they should be reporting: "In the best case Clinton is leading 3 points and in the in the worst case, Trump is leading my 1 %."

I'm not just talking this particular poll but all polls.  They really should report best and worst case and not ignore the margin of error. 

2016-08-08 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This isn't a poll, but I've seen it posted several times on conservative sites and thought it was interesting.
Some of these are skewed because of Trumps celebrity status prior to politics such as twitter and facebook, but I found the Reddit one most fascinating.  My understanding is that Reddit is a heavy young male demographic which Trump certainly draws some support, but not to that level of skew.

I know these numbers mean nothing, but just a curious datapoint for us political watchers.  btw, these could also be a symptom of Hillary's team not being as engaged on social media which was a big problem the Republicans had in 2008 and 2012. 

2016-08-08 1:48 PM

Master
, California

Polls on the popular vote, of course, are a little silly to begin with.

It's more useful to look at state-specific polls in the battlegrounds (Florida, Ohio, etc).  California's boost to Clinton and Texas to Trump nationwide mean squat because those states are already decided anyhow.

The press likes quick tidy summaries though.

2016-08-08 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Yes but people also change there minds. especially when new information comes out or after debates. I was going to vote Hilary until the DNC leak came out. I would not surprised if there are a couple of bombshells out there waiting too go off.

2016-08-16 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Good article on polls and 538.

Election Update: Clinton’s Lead Is Clear And Steady

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-clintons-lead-i...

2016-08-16 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
2016-08-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

There's no question she's in the lead in the polls overall.  My only concern is how accurate are the polls.

If Clinton is truly up as the polls indicate (and she may very well be) then I'd expect to see some sort of confirmation outside of polls such as general enthusiasm and social media buzz etc, but it's like Crickets anywhere outside of the polls.

Even NBC News (who has a more liberal following) did an online poll which is obviously not scientific in any way last week and Trump was at something like 60% with Clinton only getting 10% of the vote.  Even Stein had more votes that Hillary in that poll. (ironically, this poll is nowhere to be found anymore and my old link is dead)

Obviously Trump is in no way shape or form up that big, but if Hillary is more popular than Trump nationally and Trump is on such a slide why isn't it showing at rally's, in social media, or with any populous mechanism such as online polls.    Obama did really well in non-scientific online polls if I recall in 2008/2012.

I mentioned before that I've been burnt in the past trying to dissect polls and not trusting them.  Overall, they ended up being fairly accurate in the end so I came to the point of just believing them blindly.  However, yet again I find myself in the camp struggling to understand them.  haha

2016-08-16 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

There's no question she's in the lead in the polls overall.  My only concern is how accurate are the polls.

If Clinton is truly up as the polls indicate (and she may very well be) then I'd expect to see some sort of confirmation outside of polls such as general enthusiasm and social media buzz etc, but it's like Crickets anywhere outside of the polls.

Even NBC News (who has a more liberal following) did an online poll which is obviously not scientific in any way last week and Trump was at something like 60% with Clinton only getting 10% of the vote.  Even Stein had more votes that Hillary in that poll. (ironically, this poll is nowhere to be found anymore and my old link is dead)

Obviously Trump is in no way shape or form up that big, but if Hillary is more popular than Trump nationally and Trump is on such a slide why isn't it showing at rally's, in social media, or with any populous mechanism such as online polls.    Obama did really well in non-scientific online polls if I recall in 2008/2012.

I mentioned before that I've been burnt in the past trying to dissect polls and not trusting them.  Overall, they ended up being fairly accurate in the end so I came to the point of just believing them blindly.  However, yet again I find myself in the camp struggling to understand them.  haha

They really are not that hard to understand. Dig into the 538 site. They have lots of articles about polls in general and how they work and how to interpret them.
2016-08-16 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

They really are not that hard to understand. Dig into the 538 site. They have lots of articles about polls in general and how they work and how to interpret them.

Sorry, it's not that I don't understand them because they are fairly transparent on their methodologies.  It's more of a question of the same methodologies that have been working historically continuing to work in this election or not.  I know I'm playing devils advocate a little, but I also am genuinely wondering if they're legit.

If you recall during the GOP primaries they were way off on several occasions where they failed to capture the actual feel of the people. 
(These are from RCP averages)
Wisconsin had Trump up by 10% (he lost by 13%)
New York had Trump at 50% (he got 60%)
Indiana had Trump at +10% (he won by 17%)

I guess what I'm getting at is that the pollsters failed to capture Trump accurately in many of the races in the Primaries so how can we trust they're now completely accurate.  They all use similar methodologies.
I haven't looked at Hillary and Bernie to see how they compared to the actuals.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Polls Rss Feed  

of 14