General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light headed post swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-03 8:30 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Light headed post swim
Yesterday I had a really good swim workout, felt great the whole time, felt like I could swim forever.

Today I went for a light swim, race distance (800 yards) after about 500 I poped up just for a quick breather and instantly got light headed.

This happened last week too during a mid week Tri with a short swim, 500 yards. I had a horrible swim, got a mouth full of water early on. Felt like I couldn't regain my breath afterward, struggled through the swim. (I haven't shaken the open water anxiety yet) and felt the same way after that swim.

It could be nutrition, dinner was lighter than normal today.

It could be hydration... I didn't intake enough water today.

I'm also "added sugar free" so I have a fraction of sugar intake of a "normal" person.

Not sure what's going on.... Any ideas.

2016-08-04 5:14 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Light headed post swim
Feeling lightheaded after swimming is pretty common. Lots of possibilities:

If OWS (or you are a very anxious swimmer), anxiety, which causes a lot of people to hyperventilate, which can lead to light-headedness.

Breathing issues in general, not just anxiety related but also due to poor technique, asthma, or poor ventilation. Many beginners don't exhale underwater completely, so they tend to try to breathe when their lung aren't really emptied from the previous breath. This can lead to feelings that one is short of breath while in fact one is hyperventilating. Results can include light-headedness. It's also possible with an experienced swimmer if (like me) one has asthma, and/or the pool is not well ventilated.

If the water was choppy or cold, could be vertigo. Cold water or chop can stimulate the nerves in the inner ear and cause a lot of people to feel light-headed or dizzy, especially when they go vertical. I'm a strong swimmer but in cold, choppy water, I typically get out, stand up, and fall over. Earplugs largely solve this issue.

If it was in a calm pool with normal temps and anxiety wasn't a factor, could be dehydration (yes, you do need to hydrate while you swim, especially if water and/or air temps are high). Also consider that you could have started the workout dehydrated from other training (if doing doubles) or just running around in the heat doing errands, etc.

Blood sugar levels. Maybe not enough calories in the system for the duration of the workout plus other training, work, etc. No need to eat "sugar", per se. Even a quick piece of sweet potato or fruit might give you a needed energy boost.

Finally, other medical issues ranging from minor (coming down with a cold/flu virus) to major. Not a doctor so not qualified to advise on that.
2016-08-04 8:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Durham, North Carolina
You might not be exhaling enough. Something about carbon dioxide buildup. Thats what I was told when I had that issue too. Your body will make sure you get enough air in your lungs to survive while you are swimming w/o having to think about it. You just need to focus on exhaling.
2016-08-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I used to get lightheaded when I swam, and for me it was a hydration issue. I take a bottle on the deck with me now, and grab a sip between intervals. I also found that plain water wasn't doing it for me, as I would then get headaches after my workouts. I add nuun to my bottles now, and am a happy camper.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light headed post swim Rss Feed