General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NPR's "The Takeaway": Most Americans Sink... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-08 9:56 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: NPR's "The Takeaway": Most Americans Sink...
this was a 7 minute segment broadcast live this morning on the NPR show " The Takeaway" with Terry Laughlin.

"As U.S. swimmers prove to be Olympic standouts this week, more than half of Americans can't pass the simple swim test from the Red Cross. (Aug 8, 2016)"

http://www.wnyc.org/story/us-swimmers-top-podium-most-americans-str...

2016-08-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #5194397

New user
Subject: RE: NPR's "The Takeaway": Most Americans Sink...
Agreed
2016-08-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I did a bit of googling and here is what I found regarding the "standard swim test"

The Red Cross defines these critical water safety skills as “water competency,” — jump into water that’s over your head, being able to tread water for one minute, swim 25 yards, swim in a full circle and be able to find an exit, and being able to haul yourself out of a pool without a ladder.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/05/23/red-cross-more-than-half-of-...

I grew up with swimming lessons and am very thankful for it, my kids have also gone through a lot of lessons and are working on courses that will lead to life-guarding.
2016-08-08 11:54 PM
in reply to: #5194399

User image

I personally think that swimming lessons should be an essential part of education.
We had swim lessons in 4th grade in school but I learned from when I was a child. And when I was in college we had to pass a swim test in order to graduate.
2016-08-09 6:15 AM
in reply to: #5194496

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Agree. I continue to be amazed at how many of my kid's friends come to our house to swim that can not swim. Many of these children have pools at their own homes. I would be terrified having a pool at home with a child that could not at least get themselves to the wall or ladder of the pool if something unexpected occurred.
2016-08-09 7:16 AM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by dandr614 Agree. I continue to be amazed at how many of my kid's friends come to our house to swim that can not swim. Many of these children have pools at their own homes. I would be terrified having a pool at home with a child that could not at least get themselves to the wall or ladder of the pool if something unexpected occurred.

Same here. I actually started teaching swim lessons in my home for the neighborhood families because of this exact problem. I assumed the other kids could swim like mine. We had 6 year olds coming over who were still in floaties, hanging on the wall and afraid of the deep end. It was scary to me so the next year I offered lessons for those who wanted it because at least that way I know they have learned some basic safety skills when they come to my house. 

I took American Red Cross swim instructor training years ago so those are the guidelines I am using in my lessons. At least the kids in this neighborhood will be able to pass if the parents keep bringing them. I notice there is a difference in the definition of what it means to people to be able to swim. Some people - once the kids learn to float, get across the pool, basic safety - that is it. They can "swim" and they don't want to pay for anymore lessons. 

2016-08-09 7:37 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by dandr614 Agree. I continue to be amazed at how many of my kid's friends come to our house to swim that can not swim. Many of these children have pools at their own homes. I would be terrified having a pool at home with a child that could not at least get themselves to the wall or ladder of the pool if something unexpected occurred.

Same here. I actually started teaching swim lessons in my home for the neighborhood families because of this exact problem. I assumed the other kids could swim like mine. We had 6 year olds coming over who were still in floaties, hanging on the wall and afraid of the deep end. It was scary to me so the next year I offered lessons for those who wanted it because at least that way I know they have learned some basic safety skills when they come to my house. 

I took American Red Cross swim instructor training years ago so those are the guidelines I am using in my lessons. At least the kids in this neighborhood will be able to pass if the parents keep bringing them. I notice there is a difference in the definition of what it means to people to be able to swim. Some people - once the kids learn to float, get across the pool, basic safety - that is it. They can "swim" and they don't want to pay for anymore lessons. 

I applaud you for taking the time and teaching them. I should take some formalized training to do the same. It is just really frightening to think that such an elementary life saving skill is not a priority for some.
2016-08-09 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I am an adult onset swimmer. I hated not knowing and being afraid of the water. Seeing triathlon was a good way to finally suck it up and learn but it wasn't easy.

I have a 3-year old daughter and I already have her taking lessons. I am so happy to see her comfortable in the water and I am going to keep putting her in lessons until, well, until she's a lifeguard if she wants but at least until she can do the deep water skills and swim. As others have said, i do feel it is a life skill and i am not leaving it for her - anyway, i mostly want it so that she won't even really remember a time she couldn't swim - it will be something she's basically always known. 

2016-08-09 12:03 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by dandr614
Originally posted by trigal38

I applaud you for taking the time and teaching them. I should take some formalized training to do the same. It is just really frightening to think that such an elementary life saving skill is not a priority for some.

It just sort of fell into place and made sense. I had taken the training years before we ever had a pool, I'm a certified teacher in Early Childhood Ed. so I understand how to work with the little ones plus I have my summers off. No way I would want to teach swimming lessons at home after working all day long. 

2016-08-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

When we moved to FL our son was just born.  The house we bought didn't have a pool but we knew we were going to add one. When my son was 2 we started the water safety swimming lessons at the Y and he loved it.  At 4 he was on the "little fish" swim team.  Our daughter is just under 2 years younger, we started her when she was two and she also liked doing what here brother was doing and wanted to be on the "little fish" team.  We put our pool in when they were 6 & 4 and they were so confident swimming, it was great that we went the route we did.  They even taught some friend how to swim and dive, etc.  Fast forward to today and they are on the competitive national track Y team and do swim workouts every day that I can only dream about. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NPR's "The Takeaway": Most Americans Sink... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My takeaway from IMAZ 2013

Started by thebigb
Views: 989 Posts: 5

2013-11-19 2:59 PM devilfan02

NPR Barefoot Run Report

Started by Porfirio
Views: 528 Posts: 2

2010-01-27 9:55 PM 17281posse

From NPR: "Exercise Studies Find Good News For the Knees"

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 799 Posts: 6

2009-09-05 7:52 AM bertgwen

I sink like a stone :(

Started by aliengin
Views: 969 Posts: 13

2004-12-23 12:29 PM Micawber

NPR story about Triathlons

Started by KathyG
Views: 578 Posts: 2

2004-10-26 9:14 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 26, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 4
How should I approach swim training? The only way for me to have good form is to swim faster. I have to swim fairly fast in order to keep my body/legs high. This of course makes me tired faster.

date : November 16, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I have been swimming for ten months and it has been quite a challenge. I'm sure you have heard this before but I am a sinker.
date : January 28, 2010
comments : 0
Discussions on getting below 1:15 swim pace, how to get faster as a new swimmer, benefit of a wetsuit and sinking hips.

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : April 12, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.

date : January 1, 2007
comments : 1
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.