General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! New to forum and novice triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-12 6:41 AM

User image

Subject: Hello! New to forum and novice triathlete
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and still relatively new to this sport. I am from the Chicagoland area.
I've done 7 Sprint Triathlon since last year and I am hooked for life. Swimming is my weakest event, but I continue to swim everyday to get stronger. I'm excited to be a part of this community to meet fellow athletes and get some tips and advice.

My first question to this group is about the Ironman 70.3. I think im ready to take this challenge on next year.
As a still novice triathlete, is there any Half Ironman races within the Illinois/Wisconsin/Indiana/Michigan region anyone would recommend me taking on first? Swimming is still the weaker of the 3 sports and i'd say running is my strongest event.

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated. Looking forward meeting everyone!

Regards
Sean

2016-08-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: dvshyper1

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hello! New to forum and novice triathlete
Hey there!

Fellow windy city guy here!

There's a few that many pick for their first 70.3 around here. Ironman Racine, Steelhead & Muncie as well as Rev 3 Cedar Point are popular ones.

Let us know which one you pick & good luck!

2016-08-15 5:25 PM
in reply to: #5194888

User image

Hi Tony
Thanks for the feedback. Of those races you mentioned, what would recommend I try that has a somewhat easier swim than the others?
2016-08-15 6:17 PM

Racine was so stormy this year and the waves on Lake Michigan so big that I believe they cancelled the swim and converted the event into a duathlon.

I want to do Racine some day, as my mom's side of the family is all from there and most of them still live in town. A family reunion and a 70.3 looks like a swell combo.
2016-08-15 7:27 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Yeah the waves on lake Michigan are always unpredictable. I believe they've cancelled the swim several times.

I think Muncie or Cedar Point might be the best bets. I'm going to try and do one of these 2 next year as well!

Racine would be nice because it's so close; just would hate to be there on a year they cancel the swim.

2016-09-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Thank you for everyone's feedback.
Have any of you tried Steelhead?

2016-09-01 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
You might get a bit more info (wider audience) if you ask this question in the main tri talk forum, or the area-specific local forum.

2016-09-01 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swimming frequently is better early on. If you can join a club then that is better. Just remember this: long continuous swims will not give the same benefits as a structured session in the pool. Heck even 60x25 at race pace will see you improve much quicker.
2016-09-02 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by dvshyper1

Thank you for everyone's feedback.
Have any of you tried Steelhead?

Hi, guys, I'm on the other side of Lake Michigan from Chicago.

Not yet, but the Steelhead is my ultimate goal!

Edited by DannyQ 2016-09-02 11:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! New to forum and novice triathlete Rss Feed