General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2016-08-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing
Educate me.

When was DL triathlon invented..............and "why"?

I have an idea, but it may be way off base (as to "why").

2016-08-19 10:37 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My guess would be partially to make it more viewer friendly and allow for shorter looped courses without endangering the athletes.

2016-08-19 10:41 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My guess (though I hope you're right) is........so they could assure that the first guy who crossed the line would be the winner. If drafting wasn't legal, you could have the first guy across get a drafting penalty......and relinquish the win.

I can't see any real reason to allow drafting......other than.....it's too hard to police.
2016-08-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

As a spectator, DL races are more exciting, but let's face it, spectators aren't keeping triathlons afloat, especially not in the US.

I would never enter a DL race. I tried bike racing and HATED it. As a matter of fact, I did my first (and only--because I hated it) bike race within two weeks of my first multisport event (a duathlon). I loved the duathlon. I like the individual aspect of it. I like challenging myself against the course. I hate riding in tight packs with people that I don't know and who can't hold a line. I hate trying to squeeze through the men because a few women are breaking away while the men don't care because the people they are competing against aren't.

I also like that in triathlon, people can show up on any kind of bike. Beginners don't need to sink a fortune just to see if they like it. Try showing up to a DL race on the mountain bike that you borrowed from your cousin and see how well it goes.
2016-08-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #5195746

My background is in bike racing, so drafting and pack tactics are something I am fairly familiar with. That said, I would never do a DL tri where anybody with no peleton experience could sign up. Instant deathtrap.....even though I'm a roadie, I'll stick to NDL races, thanks.
2016-08-19 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010 My guess (though I hope you're right) is........so they could assure that the first guy who crossed the line would be the winner. If drafting wasn't legal, you could have the first guy across get a drafting penalty......and relinquish the win. I can't see any real reason to allow drafting......other than.....it's too hard to police.

That was one of the reasons it was adopted, along with it being more exciting to watch, but the biggest reason it's used is probably because it's a better test of who's the best TRIATHLETE, instead of who's the average swimmer, above average cyclist, and running beast who can throw down the fastest time trial.  In DL racing at the competitive level there's no room for any weakness.  If they're not a strong swimmer, they'll miss the lead pack on the bike.  If they're not a strong cyclist (both from a power and handling standpoints), they'll get dropped on the bike (contrary to the poster's thoughts earlier in the thread who implied that it's possible to just cruise through the bike portion being towed along by the pack), and if they can't run with the gazelles, they'll be dropped on the run.  To do well in DL triathlon at anything beyond the AG level, requires a balanced athlete.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-08-19 11:51 AM

2016-08-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nc452010 My guess (though I hope you're right) is........so they could assure that the first guy who crossed the line would be the winner. If drafting wasn't legal, you could have the first guy across get a drafting penalty......and relinquish the win. I can't see any real reason to allow drafting......other than.....it's too hard to police.

That was one of the reasons it was adopted, along with it being more exciting to watch, but the biggest reason it's used is probably because it's a better test of who's the best TRIATHLETE, instead of who's the average swimmer, above average cyclist, and running beast who can throw down the fastest time trial.  In DL racing at the competitive level there's no room for any weakness.  If they're not a strong swimmer, they'll miss the lead pack on the bike.  If they're not a strong cyclist (both from a power and handling standpoints), they'll get dropped on the bike (contrary to the poster's thoughts earlier in the thread who implied that it's possible to just cruise through the bike portion being towed along by the pack), and if they can't run with the gazelles, they'll be dropped on the run.  To do well in DL triathlon at anything beyond the AG level, requires a balanced athlete.

Respectfully, I'm not buying this. How would NOT allowing drafting diminish identifying who the best triathlete is?
2016-08-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by danimal123 My background is in bike racing, so drafting and pack tactics are something I am fairly familiar with. That said, I would never do a DL tri where anybody with no peleton experience could sign up. Instant deathtrap.....even though I'm a roadie, I'll stick to NDL races, thanks.

I've never been to an AG DL triathlon, because they're so rare in the US, but my understanding is that at the AG level, there's very little of the sort of pack tactics as you see even in weeknight criterion racing.  In part, because there just aren't enough balanced athletes, so they're already really spread out coming out of the water, rather than coming out in a pack.

2016-08-19 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010

Respectfully, I'm not buying this. How would NOT allowing drafting diminish identifying who the best triathlete is?

Read my post again.  I've highlighted some parts for emphasis.

2016-08-19 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Again, respectfully, it doesn't answer my question.

How would NOT allowing drafting diminish identifying who the best triathlete is?

If they aren't the strongest swimmer, maybe they're a beast on the bike/run. Who cares if they miss the leader.....assuming the leader isn't bunched up with 10 others and getting the draft benefit. If you're riding 26 and the leader's riding 23, you'll catch him, eventually (unless he's getting the draft/peleton benefit.....which negates the more gifted cyclists).

I can't think of a legitimate reason (other than the one I gave) why drafting would be legal. I think they allow it.....because they know it's too hard to police it. It's an easy way to relinquish all responsibility.

Does it make for "exciting" racing? Sure does. But, I'm not buying it identifies the best triathlete.
2016-08-19 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by nc452010 Again, respectfully, it doesn't answer my question. How would NOT allowing drafting diminish identifying who the best triathlete is? If they aren't the strongest swimmer, maybe they're a beast on the bike/run. Who cares if they miss the leader.....assuming the leader isn't bunched up with 10 others and getting the draft benefit. If you're riding 26 and the leader's riding 23, you'll catch him, eventually (unless he's getting the draft/peleton benefit.....which negates the more gifted cyclists). I can't think of a legitimate reason (other than the one I gave) why drafting would be legal. I think they allow it.....because they know it's too hard to police it. It's an easy way to relinquish all responsibility. Does it make for "exciting" racing? Sure does. But, I'm not buying it identifies the best triathlete.

have you watched DL racing?   #1, if I don't want you on my wheel, i'll drop your sorry butt unless you're strong enough to not let me.  #2 it makes all 3 sports more important.  If I lose 2 minutes to you in NDL, I can easily make that up. In DL you're basically done.  Then, if you can't keep up with the surges of the pack, you're dropped and out of the race. Finally, if you are a stud swimmer and cyclist, but can't run.  You almost can't win unless you pull off an insane breakaway.  It requires eliteness in all 3 sports.

I won a NDL race this year. I was 11th out of the water, and 7th on the run.  I won because I crushed them on the bike and held on just enough on the run to win.  In a DL race this would never have happened. I was able to win by being ok in 2 sports, and killing them in 1.  DL racing requires you to be a stud in all 3.

2016-08-19 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by nc452010 Again, respectfully, it doesn't answer my question. How would NOT allowing drafting diminish identifying who the best triathlete is? If they aren't the strongest swimmer, maybe they're a beast on the bike/run. Who cares if they miss the leader.....assuming the leader isn't bunched up with 10 others and getting the draft benefit. If you're riding 26 and the leader's riding 23, you'll catch him, eventually (unless he's getting the draft/peleton benefit.....which negates the more gifted cyclists). I can't think of a legitimate reason (other than the one I gave) why drafting would be legal. I think they allow it.....because they know it's too hard to police it. It's an easy way to relinquish all responsibility. Does it make for "exciting" racing? Sure does. But, I'm not buying it identifies the best triathlete.

have you watched DL racing?   #1, if I don't want you on my wheel, i'll drop your sorry butt unless you're strong enough to not let me.  #2 it makes all 3 sports more important.  If I lose 2 minutes to you in NDL, I can easily make that up. In DL you're basically done.  Then, if you can't keep up with the surges of the pack, you're dropped and out of the race. Finally, if you are a stud swimmer and cyclist, but can't run.  You almost can't win unless you pull off an insane breakaway.  It requires eliteness in all 3 sports.

I won a NDL race this year. I was 11th out of the water, and 7th on the run.  I won because I crushed them on the bike and held on just enough on the run to win.  In a DL race this would never have happened. I was able to win by being ok in 2 sports, and killing them in 1.  DL racing requires you to be a stud in all 3.

Sounds to me like your strategy paid off.

Congrats. Good racing.

I cannot fathom the argument against having each competitor rely only on his own power (no drafting). Maybe it's just me.

Answer this for me......When Mara got 4th in the Olympic road race.........is it because she is not as strong as the other three individuals that beat her.......or, is it simply that she wasn't as strong as the other 3 that beat her, together?

Edited by nc452010 2016-08-19 12:59 PM
2016-08-19 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Sounds to me like your strategy paid off. Congrats. Good racing. I cannot fathom the argument against having each competitor rely only on his own power (no drafting). Maybe it's just me.

so bike racing is stupid?

2016-08-19 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Sounds to me like your strategy paid off. Congrats. Good racing. I cannot fathom the argument against having each competitor rely only on his own power (no drafting). Maybe it's just me.

so bike racing is stupid?

No. But, that question is.

Seriously? Are we not talking about triathlon, here?

Edited by nc452010 2016-08-19 1:00 PM
2016-08-19 1:07 PM

User image

I much rather watch DL from a spectator perspective.  Probably not want to race it too much as I wouldn't be good at it as I suck at swimming...but if I was an elite triathlete I would absolutely want to do DL.

Draft legal isn't for everyone.  I can easily see how a MOP'er and a decent biker could be dragging a bunch of people on the bike and be turned off by it.  But when you get a bunch of elite and well rounded triathletes, or triathletes of similar ability, it really mixes the pot and forces athletes to race outside their comfort zones and take risks.

2016-08-19 1:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by nc452010 When Mara got 4th in the Olympic road race.........is it because she is not as strong as the other three individuals that beat her.......or, is it simply that she wasn't as strong as the other 3 that beat her, together?

She wasn't as strong as the three that beat her while they were working together.  Once Van Vleuten crashed out, it was a matter of if Abbot could hold on.  Had Van Vleuten backed off a bit on the descent and worked with Abbot they very well could have gone 1-2 and that chase pack would have been sprinting for bronze.

Drafting changes everything in bicycle racing.

2016-08-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by nc452010 When Mara got 4th in the Olympic road race.........is it because she is not as strong as the other three individuals that beat her.......or, is it simply that she wasn't as strong as the other 3 that beat her, together?

She wasn't as strong as the three that beat her while they were working together.  Once Van Vleuten crashed out, it was a matter of if Abbot could hold on.  Had Van Vleuten backed off a bit on the descent and worked with Abbot they very well could have gone 1-2 and that chase pack would have been sprinting for bronze.

Drafting changes everything in bicycle racing.

Thank you.
2016-08-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Dave's right.

What I don't think you're seeing is that your scenario of the lead bikers riding 23, and you ride 26 to catch them doesn't happen.  If you're strong enough to ride 26, a group of equally fast triathletes will be able to ride 28.  (These numbers are all arbitrary, but the point is more about how they're relative to each other).  Nobody is just cruising if they're in the lead pack on the bike.  They're all riding just as hard as they would be solo, only they need to be thinking about strategy too.  Do they attack repeatedly, trying to break the strongest runners so they can hang on the run?  Do they try to avoid pulling, so they avoid being broken for the run?  Is there a second pack of athletes who's gaining on them, and forcing them to work together?  In short, in DL racing, there isn't much room for weakness, because it's not possible to fully compensate for it the way someone can in NDL racing.

In NDL racing, it's possible for someone like Josh Beck to turn in a performance like he did at IMLOU a few years ago:  1,139th out of the water (1:20 swim), pass over 1,100 people on the bike, then go on to run a 3:02 marathon, and finish 7th overall.  He was one of the best duathletes in the world, but not a great triathlete, and would have had his a$$ handed to him in DL racing, even racing against juniors.

2016-08-19 1:15 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Pro

nc452010  - you're killing me. 

2016-08-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: #5195746

Count me as one more not following the logic of DL. racers being better triathletes. I personally think both formats produce good racers, but if the only differentiator between the two is how the bike leg is regulated. ...well, they don't call Time Trials the "Race of Truth" just because it sounds cool.
2016-08-19 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Dave's right.

What I don't think you're seeing is that your scenario of the lead bikers riding 23, and you ride 26 to catch them doesn't happen.  If you're strong enough to ride 26, a group of equally fast triathletes will be able to ride 28.  (These numbers are all arbitrary, but the point is more about how they're relative to each other).  Nobody is just cruising if they're in the lead pack on the bike.  They're all riding just as hard as they would be solo, only they need to be thinking about strategy too.  Do they attack repeatedly, trying to break the strongest runners so they can hang on the run?  Do they try to avoid pulling, so they avoid being broken for the run?  Is there a second pack of athletes who's gaining on them, and forcing them to work together?  In short, in DL racing, there isn't much room for weakness, because it's not possible to fully compensate for it the way someone can in NDL racing.

In NDL racing, it's possible for someone like Josh Beck to turn in a performance like he did at IMLOU a few years ago:  1,139th out of the water (1:20 swim), pass over 1,100 people on the bike, then go on to run a 3:02 marathon, and finish 7th overall.  He was one of the best duathletes in the world, but not a great triathlete, and would have had his a$$ handed to him in DL racing, even racing against juniors.

Go back and read my scenario again. You're making my point, for me. I wasn't implying the person in front was riding in a peleton.

And....if I can ride 26 on my own......and a group of EQUALLY fast triathletes can ride 28......well, again you make the point why I don't like it.

I'm not making personal insults or jabs at any of you. We simply disagree on this. I can live with that.

2016-08-19 1:25 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Pro

Originally posted by danimal123 Count me as one more not following the logic of DL. racers being better triathletes. I personally think both formats produce good racers, but if the only differentiator between the two is how the bike leg is regulated. ...well, they don't call Time Trials the "Race of Truth" just because it sounds cool.

This will help.......you can take the top 10 JUNIOR (16-19 year old) elite racers to the AG sprint nationals and they will take nearly every top 10 spot.(overall, not just in their AG) Why?  Because they do all 5 events REALLY well (I'm adding transitions).  The only reason you don't see it is that they really don't even bother racing AG once they get to be 18-19 years old....but when they go....they win.  Not a local race......AG nationals.  My kid was top 5 two years in a row at age 16 and 17 and couldn't crack the top 15 in the Jr. Elite standings at the time.

The very best triathletes are DL racers.  You don't have to follow the logic......you can just follow them on a triathlon course.

2016-08-19 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010  ...I cannot fathom the argument against having each competitor rely only on his own power (no drafting)...

I think this is why you don't see it.  You seem to think they're racing less hard because of the drafting.  The truth is, they're racing just as hard, if not harder, because they don't have the luxury of riding their own race.  They're hammering the whole time.  Drafting doesn't allow them to ride any easier on the bike.  All it does is make the whole field go faster.

Look at it this way...ignoring the tactics and surges present in DL racing for a moment...if you can ride an Oly at 220 watts, and still run well,  whether the entire race was in calm conditions, you were "penalized" by a 5 mph headwind the whole way, or "aided" by a 5 mph tailwind the whole way, the ride was just as hard for you.  If you choose to back off when you had the tailwind, you turn in a slower time than you were capable of.  If you ride harder in response to the headwind, you're more likely to blow up, and turn in a slower time than you were capable of.  The point is, regardless of any perceived benefit of drafting, there really isn't one, because everyone has it, so no one is riding easier than they would under NDL rules.

They're all relying on their own power the whole way, only now, as I and others said earlier, there's no room for weakness.  The best balanced triathletes win most of the time.

2016-08-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by danimal123 Count me as one more not following the logic of DL. racers being better triathletes. I personally think both formats produce good racers, but if the only differentiator between the two is how the bike leg is regulated. ...well, they don't call Time Trials the "Race of Truth" just because it sounds cool.

This will help.......you can take the top 10 JUNIOR (16-19 year old) elite racers to the AG sprint nationals and they will take nearly every top 10 spot.(overall, not just in their AG) Why?  Because they do all 5 events REALLY well (I'm adding transitions).  The only reason you don't see it is that they really don't even bother racing AG once they get to be 18-19 years old....but when they go....they win.  Not a local race......AG nationals.  My kid was top 5 two years in a row at age 16 and 17 and couldn't crack the top 15 in the Jr. Elite standings at the time.

The very best triathletes are DL racers.  You don't have to follow the logic......you can just follow them on a triathlon course.

You're creating a false dichotomy here. I've never said they weren't great triathletes. They are.

But, riding in a pack allows people who normally couldn't hold that spot.....to hold that spot. It allows lesser gifted riders to ride with more gifted riders.

The above is true.......unless you're disputing that riding in a peleton is not an advantage.

I'm not kicking your dog or calling you names. I don't care if you like DL racing better......or not. I'm just saying I don't.
2016-08-19 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Dave's right.

Go back and read my scenario again. You're making my point, for me. I wasn't implying the person in front was riding in a peleton. And....if I can ride 26 on my own......and a group of EQUALLY fast triathletes can ride 28......well, again you make the point why I don't like it. I'm not making personal insults or jabs at any of you. We simply disagree on this. I can live with that.

Ok.  I did, and the problem with your scenario is that it's so rare that it may as well be described as something that never happens.  If someone isn't a strong enough swimmer to come out of the water with the lead swimmers, it doesn't matter how great of a cyclist or runner they are.  They've already lost, because everyone else in the race is also a great cyclist and runner, AND swimmer.  DL racing makes the swim much more important than it is in NDL racing.  In NDL racing, even pros can come out of the water with the faster than average AGers, then bike and run their way up onto the podium.  They can be a gifted duathlete, yet still do very well in NDL triathlon.  That simply doesn't happen in DL racing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  

of 6