General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season is over... Now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-05 10:27 PM

Subject: Season is over... Now what?
Well, this last weekend I wrapped up my tri season by racing on a sprint distance relay team with my girlfriend, it was her first competitive 5K (I did the swim and bike) and my 8 year old daughter did a kids race and we had a blast. It was a fun way to end the season. The weekend prior I finished my "a race", my first olympic distance course. I had been following the "Sprint to Olympic Bridge" training plan and it worked really well. I finished in just under 3 hours which was my goal time. I felt great on the course until about the last 2 miles of the run which is when the hurt really set in, but learned some lessons and had a great time and am ready to get after it again next year.

So that leads me to my question... I really enjoyed working out with a plan to stick to, it kept me motivated and on track with my training. It was very nice to wake up and look up the daily workout and go do it as opposed to figuring out what I felt like doing (and it certainly work to help reach my goal for the year). But now that I've finished up my season and the plan had ended I feel a little lost again and am starting to look forward to next year. I have signed up for the Boulder 70.3 next year (Aug 5th) as my long term goal. That will be my A race for next year with a goal of finishing (no time estimate yet). SO I plan to follow the 20 week half ironman training plan with puts me starting in mid March, which should provide pretty reliable outdoor training weather up here in the north. That leaves plenty of time between now and then so I figured I would also do the 20 week winter maintenance/prep plan to lead into starting the Half Ironman plan. However, that still leaves about 8 weeks free. Should I just plan on enjoying some time off and just stay active or should I add some of those free weeks between plans for a short break?

Just a little more back ground that may be relevant. I got serious about working out for the first time in about 10 years back in Feburary with the intent of dropping some extra weigh that had been getting stacked on over the last few years. I started with a couch to 5K program and was challenged to attempt the local sprint tri by a friend. We I realized having a goal to work towards was a huge motivator for me, once I completed it I loved it and thus the passion was born. Training for a few races has taken me from not being able to run around the block to finishing the oly mentioned above and has helped me drop about 40 pounds. Running is still my weak point, I can do a stand alone 10k in just under 60 min, but off the bike it still suffers a bit. Im thinking its just the lack of training time (just 7 months) and should continue to improve over the upcoming year. Swimming is what I think is my strong point, in my last sprint I swam an OW 1000 yards in 16.30 and have swam an OW 2.4mile in just under 2:20.00.

Sorry I know that was a lot. Im really just looking where to go from here going into my off season and wanted to see what some others though to see if my plan was on or off base. Also, feel free to tell me to just suck it up and find an online coach if thats what you think would be best. I just have no experience with anything like that and am a little apprehensive not knowing what that would entail or if I feel like id get my moneys worth without having a recommendation.

thanks in advance for help,

2016-09-06 6:48 AM
in reply to: ctrebby

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Season is over... Now what?

You might want to take the opportunity to work on your weakness, running.  Pick out a couple of fall races and a running plan (there are a few here and of course dozens on the interwebs...) and go from there.  Mix in some cycling and swimming where you can, or just pencil them in for your off days if you need the routine.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to take a little time off anyway...it's really tough to mentally go at it for 52 weeks a year.

Good luck!

2016-09-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
I always like to make some plans of what you want to do next year. then take a month off and just do some other activity which may not have been able to while training for triathalons. ( I play golf for 6 weeks a year ). then looking at your schedule for the next couple month swim when you want and run when want so you enjoy the sports. about then your ready to ramp it back up again.
2016-09-06 4:54 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I like to focus on some running events after Tri season wraps up. I did IM 70.3 Ohio last month, and have a half marathon this weekend and a full marathon in October. It keeps me active going into the winter. However, I love running and it's my strongest event, so I'm biased. If you do shorter races, you could look into some 10K's to do?
2016-09-06 6:10 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Did you mean to say you swam the 2.4 in 1:20:00?  The 1000 yards equates to 1:48/100 meters and the 2:20:00 time you showed for 2.4 miles equates to 3.38/100 meters.  If it's 1:20:00 for the 2.4...that's a good starting point.

Good swim/bike fitness is the key to having a successful run in a 70.3.  If you don't already have one, I'd get an indoor trainer for your bike and a subscription to TrainerRoad ($12/month or $99/year).  You'll be able to maintain/increase your bike fitness when the weather starts to get nasty. 

Running: Google BarryP running (didn't want to post a link to another site) ... this is all you need to know to get started.

2016-09-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: #5197763

Yes I did mistype that, I did mean in just under 1:20.00. Thanks for all the advice. A trainer is my next purchase, the snow will start flying before I know it.

2016-09-06 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cyclocross!!

Seriously, just take some time to have some fun for a bit!!

Eventually a weakness focus can help entering the next season.

Winter cycling can suck, even on the trainer so I tend to do a run/swim volume focus.

Works great for the run as I have to go slower outside and really build up that base! :P
2016-09-08 9:02 AM

User image

DC
Off season, for me, usually entails lifting weights and putting on serious muscle mass... which I use to show off the following season.

But seriously, if you don't weight train, now's a great time to start. None of us are getting any younger.
2016-09-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

I had the same let down/indecision after I did my A race (IMWI 2015). I took 3 weeks off and starting running thinking I was going to train for a marathon. Eventually quit. I have been on the couch for 6 months. I put back on the 20 pounds I lost!

I am just like you, I need to have an action plan.

My advice is be careful with how much time off you take. Get back into any plan as soon as you can.
2016-09-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: JoelO

Originally posted by JoelO

Did you mean to say you swam the 2.4 in 1:20:00?  The 1000 yards equates to 1:48/100 meters and the 2:20:00 time you showed for 2.4 miles equates to 3.38/100 meters.  If it's 1:20:00 for the 2.4...that's a good starting point.

Good swim/bike fitness is the key to having a successful run in a 70.3.  If you don't already have one, I'd get an indoor trainer for your bike and a subscription to TrainerRoad ($12/month or $99/year).  You'll be able to maintain/increase your bike fitness when the weather starts to get nasty. 

Running: Google BarryP running (didn't want to post a link to another site) ... this is all you need to know to get started.

Joel thank you for posting the BarryP recommendation. Been reading it all day and I think it will help me finally put a plan behind my running!
2016-09-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Franklin, TN

My pleasure.  I like the simplicity of it.  The trick to making improvements is consistent training.  His structure allows you to develop the consistency without beating your body up too much.

2016-09-14 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Personally after my last "A" race I like to take a little time off from structured training, usually 4-6 weeks, sometimes even 8. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm not doing any swim/bike/run, but I'm not following a specific "plan" or training "for" anything. If I had chances to do outdoor activities other than running here, I'd probably do more of that (like hiking/climbing) but actually I don't, except sometimes on school breaks. So basically it is fun-running, swimming, and the occasional MTB ride through the villages with a local group of riders.

It's just personal preference, but I really don't like to take time off from swimming unless I have to. I pretty much swim the same amount, 8-10K a week, year-round, unless I'm sick or traveling somewhere with no pool access. Even though I've been swimming since I was a young kid, I lose my "feel" for the water quickly, and I hate the awkward process of getting it back. Swimming is low-impact and I find it relaxing and enjoyable, so I don't worry about physical or mental burnout the way I might with long or intense runs/rides. That being said, it's not as intense as I do in a regular training cycle--I basically just make up workouts, or find ones online, that I want to do, and do them. In particular, I find big sets of distance freestyle (like 6 X 400 or 500m) really boring, so you won't see me doing those! More shorter stuff and different strokes. I don't try to hit particular times, and just do sets by effort. If I'm feeling tired, I might cut the distance or just swim through the whole thing at an easy effort and focus on technique. Or if I happen to be at home, I might go to some master's workouts and just do whatever they are doing. Sometimes I even do the kids' swim team workout that's on the board at our school pool!

I also like to use the extra time and energy to do some more strength training. Strength/power has never been my forte and I think, if nothing else, it makes me more resilient and less likely to get injured. Plus vanity-- I need it not to look awful in my tri suit.!

I think you can't go wrong as long as whatever you're doing is

*A physical and mental break from intense, goal-directed training
*Mostly/all stuff you enjoy
*Pretty consistent (after maybe two weeks of totally messing around, I try to stick to 3 swims/bikes/runs a week)
*Keeps you active
2016-09-14 10:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Utah
Work on your weakness! I believe there are some BT off season plans that have certain emphasis based on what you want to focus on. I did that in the past. My run is my nemesis, so I am focusing on a late fall half marathon before I gear up for 70.3s next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season is over... Now what? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation

Started by Becca4277
Views: 2850 Posts: 18

2011-11-18 10:22 AM Dorm57

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1514 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

End of Season-Winter Training- 2011 Season

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1123 Posts: 4

2010-07-29 6:43 PM Daffodil

Golf During The Season and Off Season

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1381 Posts: 14

2009-11-18 3:54 PM Laffenguy

Transition from tri-season to run-season?

Started by jessm
Views: 763 Posts: 4

2009-08-15 7:16 AM jessm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.