General Discussion Triathlon Talk » unexpected lessons from my 5th Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-06 8:28 AM

User image

Subject: unexpected lessons from my 5th Ironman
In August 2016 I completed my 5th Ironman at Ironman Boulder. It didn’t go as planned. I finished about 2 hours after I had hoped - I did finish though and that's always good. In my post-race analysis paralysis I actually realized two improvements to my training build that caught me by surprise.

One I thought was worth sharing and the second I want to see if others have had happen or if it was just a random one-off.

So the first is that I never got the endless Ironman training raging hunger. I kept waiting for it and it never came. I mean I was hungry but not in the urgent unpleasant way that had happened before. In the past during peak weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night to eat food, eat extra meals while I was preparing meals, I found myself frequently eating in my car on the way to do things and I was known eat other people’s food at the table.

In one particularly embarrassing moment a few years ago we were eating in a restaurant and my son yelled out, “mom, stop eating my food!”

At the time, it made me question my training intensity. Perhaps I wasn’t working as hard as I had before? That could be correct but it’s hard for me to quantify looking back. The thing that I realize in hindsight that I know I did change actually had nothing to do with triathlon. It was a change forced by my daughter changing schools and a change in our family schedule. It’s not dramatic or exciting. I was simply forced to do a better job planning our family meals. I was forced to do a better job grocery shopping and as a result of this meal planning I was eating more home cooked meals and had plenty of left overs for lunch and better snacks on hand. It’s nothing fancy but it made a pretty tremendous difference in my daily stress level when I look back. So there's the sharing point. If you plan your meals maybe you won't be as hungry. Perhaps my secret super power is grocery shopping?

The second was that I didn’t buy much of anything this time around. Yup you read that right. It stunned me too. I ordered some nutrition and had my bike tuned up. The only other thing that I remember needing to buy was some tossable water bottles. I'm curious as to whether others who have done multiple Ironman races think this was just a random one-off or whether maybe there is a point where your closet and garage become well enough stocked that you aren't buying new stuff every week?

Thoughts?

2016-09-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Subject: RE: unexpected lessons from my 5th Ironman
Maybe it's because you're just a stud now. While it's maybe not "old hat", you're so good and so confident you don't need the latest/greatest super convenient nutrition carrier. Or the latest/greatest carbon xxxxxx for your bike.

In fact, maybe you find it more pleasurable to go to a race "lean and mean" without extraneous bits and bobs that just get in the way of enjoying the three disciplines of sport involved?

That's what I'm hoping is the case. I think I've spent my limit. So....and I've never gone further than a half.
2016-09-06 10:40 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

You might be right. I do now try to keep things as simple as possible on the run.
2016-09-08 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Is it possible you just had an off day?

How did you feel? How was the weather versus other races? Did you put in the time training for this one that you did for the others? Was your heart in it?

One big question, were you prepared for the thin air in Boulder?

Edited by scottficek 2016-09-08 9:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » unexpected lessons from my 5th Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Ironman and the lessons learned (Los Cobos)

Started by zombie2212
Views: 1693 Posts: 11

2015-11-01 9:37 AM GMAN 19030

Unexpected problem for a tall guy.

Started by mrhellmann
Views: 2036 Posts: 9

2009-06-05 9:59 AM KRCSWO

Unexpected Compliment

Started by BucNIowa
Views: 988 Posts: 8

2008-04-16 6:35 PM phillybarb

unexpected IM side effects

Started by Comet
Views: 1099 Posts: 10

2005-10-26 10:24 AM Daremo

Unexpected benefits of tri training

Started by macaco
Views: 861 Posts: 7

2005-04-21 1:14 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).
date : October 30, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
We are now going to move into “practices” that have a specific technique focus or two, but will contain more physically demanding workouts.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.