General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-20 1:05 PM

New user

Subject: New in NC
Hi everyone! I'm new to the sport and already made a big mistake. I've been running for about 5 years now and completed a couple 5 and 10Ks and two half marathons. Until recently the only biking I've ever done was around the neighborhood as a child. I also just finished a beginner swim class to work on my technique. My mistake is that two weeks ago I signed up for a sprint triathlon that takes place on July 31. The first half marathon I did without training and you would think I would have learned my lesson but I guess not. Anyway, the running part is fine (I'm also training for a half marathon in Sept) and the biking is also going well. I'm struggling mostly with the swim. I'm having trouble swimming consistently for the whole distance. I can go the whole distance alternating between the front crawl and elem. backstroke, but I don't think that's really pratical for the race. If anyone has any suggestions I'm completely open to them. If not doing the race is my best bet right now that's understandable. I'll just train until I'm ready to race. Sorry about the length of this message. Thanks for your input.
~Amy

2004-07-20 1:51 PM
in reply to: #39050

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: New in NC

Hi Queen,

Crawl is faster but a triathlon is not a swimming race.  Most people just try to get through the swim without using up all their energy.  Switch from crawl to backstroke (elementary or back crawl) or breast stroke or side stroke to rest and sight the buoys.   Stay relaxed and keep your breathing rhythm.  If you tire, your crawl efficiency really suffers.  Lots of people will be using their rest stroke.  Survive the swim then blow by the competition on the bike and run.  If you are in shape for a 1/2 mary then the sprint should be ok.

If you have really overestimated your swimming and get cramped up,  wave your hand and a kayak or canoe will come and let you hold on for a minute to regroup.

Go for it.

tw

2004-07-20 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  I'd say still do the tri - you'll learn a lot about your abilities and about everything else.  Try out both strokes and see what's better. 

Good luck on the 31st!

2004-07-20 4:58 PM

How long is the swim part of your tri? I've been a long distance runner for about five years. I've found that even if I don't start fast on the swim I can pass a lot of people just because of my endurance. I know you have that or you wouldn't be running marathons.
2004-07-20 6:06 PM
in reply to: #39146

New user

The swim 750 meters. I can only do about 50 meters without resting. But I can do that over and over again. I wonder if it's something with my breathing????
2004-07-20 11:13 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!

2004-07-22 1:44 PM

New user

Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: have fun!!
Hi Amy Relax on the swim is best thing you can do. Just take your time and enjoy it!

DON'T: go out fast, time your swim, swim harder to go faster, question yourself, stress

DO: breathe easy, roll on your back and rest anytime you need to, do only what's comfortable, smile inside, experience it, have fun!

Sounds like you're racing Mission Man? Me too. It'll be everybody's first one! : )

Mike
2004-07-22 4:12 PM

Veteran
Washington
It seems that the swim is the most difficult aspect for alot of people on this sight. I think that everyone so far is right...sounds like you are in great shape and should have no problem completing the sprint. Just relax and take it easy, Remember the number one goal is to have fun and not get hurt! Go for it!!
2004-07-31 2:20 PM

New user

Thanks everyone for your support. I finished the race this morning. I won't lie the swim was killer, but I absolutely loved the whole thing! I'm hooked. Thanks again!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New in NC Rss Feed