General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction from Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-02 10:04 PM

Subject: Introduction from Ohio
Hello all! Thought I would just check in to see what I can learn from others experience.

I have been training for Tri's now for about 21 months off and on. I have done an Olympic and two Half Irons with my latest being last week. I am super excited to see what is next for me. I will start back on one of the Bike focused Winter maintenance training plans starting tomorrow. Key spots for improvement are to get stronger, leaner, and more powerful in the core. I am also very interested in any wisdom regarding nutrition or helpful hints that have been effective for any of you out there. I am open to any and all suggestions and look forward to learning a lot from the forum.

Thank you and God Bless.

Daniel

2016-10-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: strouprl

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Introduction from Ohio
Welcome!

We have a lot of members from Ohio and there are certainly many great races here, as you already know.
I encourage you to check out the articles here on BT ... new ones are published monthly. The winter plan also has some good core strength workouts and weights, so that sounds like an ideal plan for your goals!
2016-10-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Thank you. Yes, I have already started my winter plan. I have a goal of raising my bike speed from 16mph to 20mph. that seems a little ambitious but i am committed to the work to give it an effort. Because I am a new triathlete, I am not sure the best approach but strength training, core work, and plenty of time in the saddle seems like a great place to start.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. i also would love to meet others here close to me to discuss training and maybe even network with during the off season as well as the season.

Thank you.
2016-10-09 12:32 PM

Where about in Ohio? Lots of fellows you can ride with if you're in the Cincy area. That'll help get your speed up for sure.

2016-10-09 3:15 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by strouprl Hello all! Thought I would just check in to see what I can learn from others experience. I have been training for Tri's now for about 21 months off and on. I have done an Olympic and two Half Irons with my latest being last week. I am super excited to see what is next for me. I will start back on one of the Bike focused Winter maintenance training plans starting tomorrow. Key spots for improvement are to get stronger, leaner, and more powerful in the core. I am also very interested in any wisdom regarding nutrition or helpful hints that have been effective for any of you out there. I am open to any and all suggestions and look forward to learning a lot from the forum. Thank you and God Bless. Daniel

You sound like you are right about where I am.  My first 70.3 was in April of 2015 and my second was in May of 2016. I want to do a pair of Olympic tris next June/July and do a pair of 70.3 tris next Aug./Sept.  Since I didn't have a fall race this year I started on the Winter Cycling when I got back from vacation in August. My goal is to get from 20 MPH to 21.5 MPH.  :-)

I wanted to get leaner and to faster on the bike. Nutrition is probably my weakest area in the longer races.  I am guessing I could get through an Olympic race with out any refueling, but in the 5-6 hour 70.3 I fell that my nutrition have hurt me on both races.

The only race I have done in Ohio is the Air Force 1/2 Marathon.  That was an great event.

2016-10-10 12:05 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Thank you Curtis. Sounds like you are fast on the bike. My last event I was at 16.0 MPH on the bike and would like to make a jump to 20 MPH by my April of 2017. Do you think that is a reachable goal? Where would you focus?

Thank you.

Daniel

2016-10-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by strouprl Thank you Curtis. Sounds like you are fast on the bike. My last event I was at 16.0 MPH on the bike and would like to make a jump to 20 MPH by my April of 2017. Do you think that is a reachable goal? Where would you focus? Thank you. Daniel

I am 10 weeks into the Winter Bike program.  This is the first bike plan I have followed in my year and a half cycling and my first time to slow down my running to do a bike focused training plan. I have heard other report gains in the range of 1-1/2 MPH with the plan so I am hoping I will have the same success.  

Equipment choices make a big difference.  I have gained about 1-1/2 MPH just in equipment upgrades since I started cycling.  If you can get some free speed through upgrades and you really push yourself with the winter bike program then yes you can get to 20 MPH.  

I have been focusing on cycling 4 days a week with the cycling plan and then run 2-3 days.  Most of my runs have been with a friend who forces me to run about a minute a mile slower that I would run if I were on my own, so the runs are all really easy recover runs to get me ready to hit the next bike training at full force.  If you want to improve on the bike I would just focus on that and not try to improve on the run and swim at the same time.  Let them be your recovery work.  Once you are through the 16 week plan then you can change your focus to a balanced plan between Swimming/Cycling/Running.

P.S. I never though of myself as a fast cyclist.  In 2008 I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon and joined a marathon running group. Another guy a year older than me joined at the same time.  We completed against each other at a bunch of 5K's and 1/2 marathons.  I beat him pretty easily in 2008 and 2009 but in 2010 he started to peak and was getting really fast.  Our last race together before I moved in the fall of 2010 he gave me the run of my life.  I had to PR by a full 2 minutes in a local half marathon to beat him.  He started doing triathlons about the time I moved while I stuck to running.  When I started doing Triathlons in 2015 it was just before I moved back to same state that he lived and to a city just 75 miles from him.  I got back in contact with him and he is doing 23 MPH for the bike pace of 70.3 races.  I haven't raced against him in a Triathlon yet but will likely see him at all my races next year.  20 MPH is pretty slow when your are trying to save face with a former training buddy who is doing 23 MPH.  I have a year and a half of cycling under my belt and he has 6 years of cycling under his belt.  When he was a year and a half into cycling he probably was about as fast as I am now. When we ran together in the Marathon group my friend worked 2-3 times as hard as anyone else in the group.  I have not doubt that he has continued with that work ethic in Triathlon.  I bet he does 6 hour bike rides every week.   Speed comes from a lot of volume and consistency over a long period of time. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-10-13 1:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction from Ohio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Introduction

Started by TriBarbie
Views: 1753 Posts: 18

2004-03-08 5:43 PM beenbit

Introduction and a couple of questions

Started by Jorta
Views: 1042 Posts: 5

2004-02-09 9:48 AM Jorta

My introduction & how to get started training?

Started by jwidner
Views: 1271 Posts: 5

2003-10-28 3:14 PM jwidner

Introduction

Started by roni
Views: 1041 Posts: 4

2003-10-14 6:02 AM NewTri

Introduction and Questions

Started by ws967
Views: 1178 Posts: 7

2003-09-29 10:42 AM ws967
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Why Train for Triathlons?

A few basic guidelines for creating a training plan.
Shocking stats, laws of thermodynamics and rhetoric.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...