General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gearing up in Cincinnati Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-08 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Gearing up in Cincinnati
Well, I have finally passed a couple of milestones with my commitment to this... swimming for 8 months and running for 6... just starting to train on the bike. Here's the deal: I have been running for months in my $30 Target running shoes and swimming in the Kohls swimsuit I started in.

I don't have much money, but I would like to commit to some more "serious" gear for training. So, I don't know where to shop around here. I know of the Running Spot, and will probably go there when I'm ready to buy my next pair of shoes. but other than that, I have no idea.

I get the sense from these forums that Dick's is not the best for this kind of thing.

Can any Cincinnat area folks give me advice on tri-friendly and wallet-friendly shops in the area? I am particularly shopping for better shoes, a briefs-style swimsuit, better goggles, I also need to get my mountain bike serviced adequately. And some bike shorts (preferably that I can race in eventually). Or even just a place where I can go in and not feel intimidated when I say, "hey. I'm new to this whole thing but I plan on running triathlons next summer. Help me out."

Words of wisdom in the Queen City?

DT

2006-09-09 1:42 AM
in reply to: #534989

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Gearing up in Cincinnati
Here is some words of wisdo fro Lancaster, Ohio.

Do you like your $30 shoes from Tarshay? Are they causing problems? If not, keep them.

How about the suit? I recommend getting DeSoto tri-shorts. actually, if you train in a pool, get a cheap speedo. They may be on sale at Dink's now that summer is winding down. Acutally, the least expensive ball-hugger for pool swiming. Chlorine will wear out the fabric of anything in short time so my policy is: buy low-cost to swim in pools. Use tri shorts in fresh water or ocean swimming.

Goggles? Use whatever makes you comfortable. Comfort is key to all of this. (Just like the shoes, for every face their is a set of goggles (for every foot their is a shoe.))

I don't live there in the QC. You may want to post your message in one of the more general forums here.

This is a great place for people's advice and they treat each other well.

www.trisports.com is a great website for tri-gear.

Best of luck.

CP2K
2006-09-11 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Suits you can get a suit at various places, I think I got my latest suit (trucks) at Target.  If you want speedo style that is fine, but I figure I don't have the body for it anymore.  My brother told me to get some jammers (30 bucks or so) at any of several different stores.

Goggles could be found at Target until several weeks ago, today you will likely have to go to a Dick's or some other sporting goods shop.  You will likely have to pay a little more for them, but you should try several pairs on to see what fits your face best.

Bikes - Try your local bike shop, they will be your best bet.  A tune up will cost you about 50.00, and they will clean and check your bike for wear.  If you need replacement parts, those will cost extra, and depending on where you go most shops have pretty good wrenchs.  Just ask good questions, and if you don't like the anwers they are giving.... find another shop.

2006-09-12 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

If you ever get out to Lebanon there is an awesome tri store called Wheelie Fun multisport.  There you can get your bike and swim apparel.  Connected to this is a running specific store where they do the whole gate analysis and have lots of shoes and clothing to choose from.  I forget the name, but it is the only other store in the Wheelie Fun building.  I highly recommend Wheelie Fun for bikes.

I have also been to Fleet Feet in Blue Ash which is also very nice and the folks there are friendly and helpful.  Good luck

2006-10-03 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

DTraub - 2006-09-08 9:46 PM Well, I have finally passed a couple of milestones with my commitment to this... swimming for 8 months and running for 6... just starting to train on the bike.

Yeah! Good for you!

Here's the deal: I have been running for months in my $30 Target running shoes and swimming in the Kohls swimsuit I started in. I don't have much money, but I would like to commit to some more "serious" gear for training. So, I don't know where to shop around here. I know of the Running Spot, and will probably go there when I'm ready to buy my next pair of shoes. but other than that, I have no idea. I get the sense from these forums that Dick's is not the best for this kind of thing. Can any Cincinnat area folks give me advice on tri-friendly and wallet-friendly shops in the area? I am particularly shopping for better shoes,

I frequent Fleet Feet, it's in Blue Ash. I used to go to the Running Spot until I had a bad experience. Fleet Feet also carries tri stuff, and each year carries more. Some employees are tri folks, and they're a sponsor on CincyExpress Multisport. I love Fleet Feet and Highly recommend it. While you're there look at their tri stuff-they probably have stuff on sale now. Oh, www.fleetfeetcincy.com

a briefs-style swimsuit,

Kast-a-way swimwear is a swim shop-they do alot for swim teams. I go there to buy my suits from the sale racks. don't know what they got for men, but I assume they've got stuff...located on SR 42 in/near West Chester. Just google Kast-a-way swimwear for site

Edit-they also have a bit of tri-wear.

better goggles-

See above

I also need to get my mountain bike serviced adequately.

Highly recommend West Chester Cyclery. They have two locations-one in West Chester (actually, just north of Kast-a-way swimwear on SR 42) and one in Fairfield. I really like their service. I bought a bike from them in March, and they'll just put it up on the rack and look at it for me if they aren't swamped....HIghly, highly recommend them as well! Good people who aren't concerned with your price range. They just want to help you out. I started there with my mountain bike as well.

www.westchestercyclery.com

And some bike shorts (preferably that I can race in eventually).

See above But, I'm not sure if WCC has tri-shorts. They might start carrying them next season. But you can get them at Fleet feet.

Or even just a place where I can go in and not feel intimidated when I say, "hey. I'm new to this whole thing but I plan on running triathlons next summer. Help me out." Words of wisdom in the Queen City? DT

Edited by Sassafras 2006-10-03 4:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gearing up in Cincinnati Rss Feed