General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling for Aquathlon Cross Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-03 3:01 PM

New user

Subject: Cycling for Aquathlon Cross Training
Hi there

I am training primarily for aquatlhon (aka aquathon) races, so my focus is primarily on swimming and running. However, I still cycle once a week through the winter for cross-training and, once the aquathons are finished for the year, compete in a few triathlons for fun.

My question is how can I best use my cycling session to improve my running. What sort of thing should I be doing? Long-slow distance? Intervals? Hill repeats?

Thanks!

2016-11-04 6:28 AM
in reply to: eljc2

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Cycling for Aquathlon Cross Training
I would do nothing but long and slow (to build endurance), everything else (intervals, hill repeats, etc.) will only really help you on the bike but doesn't translate well to running improvements. Overall endurance will however.
2016-11-04 6:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cycling for Aquathlon Cross Training
Agree--I've trained for these in the past and a further issue is that prolonged hard efforts on the bike (intervals, hills) will tire your legs out for run training, particularly speed work. That's not such a big deal with tri, particularly long-distance tri, since the nature of the beast is running on tired legs, but in an aquathlon, everyone's running on much fresher legs, so there's more of a premium on run speed.

If maintaining some degree of bike fitness for tri is a goal, you could limit the bike to one longer/slower ride and one harder effort per week (on an easy run day or day off running, with at least 24 and ideally 36 hours before a harder run workout), or do an easy run as a brick after the bike workout. If you're not too concerned about bike fitness, then just do a weekly longer/slower ride for a while.

If you do want to include a more intense weekly cycling workout, one thing to consider might be some shorter big-gear intervals followed by a short run with some strides or pickups. I'm not sure about others, but I find I always have really good runs after that kind of workout (as in running faster with less effort, feel like my run form is better). My coach claims it activates fast-twitch muscle fibers. (I was not aware I had any, but it does seem to do something neuromuscular in my case.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-04 6:49 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling for Aquathlon Cross Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

aquathlon training

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 1395 Posts: 1

2013-04-22 8:03 AM Hot Runner

Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training

Started by rjp7204
Views: 821 Posts: 4

2010-01-06 9:21 PM sesh

Cross training & half marathon training benefits?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 987 Posts: 7

2009-11-17 11:56 PM Bigpikle

Incorporating Cross-Training into your Power Training?

Started by DRLski
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 6:46 PM DrPete

Aquathlon training plan help

Started by Aquaman75
Views: 10949 Posts: 4

2006-09-08 9:42 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Recovery foods and fluids for cycling and triathlon

date : February 1, 2012
author : CoachCK
Snowshoe running is a perfect form of winter cross training for athletes in colder climates. Here's what you need to know to get started.
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.