General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some really dumb questions! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-09 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Subject: Some really dumb questions!

Hi all, I have to ask some superbly stupid questions again- sorry!

It's my first race tomorrow, so I'm at the can't sit still stage!!

Q1: This is only a mini-sprint, so I'm not anticipating a drama, but what happens if I get a puncture? Can I carry stuff with me on my bike to fix it? I was watching highlights of the world champs today on telly, and wondered why they didn't have anything except themselves and water. I guessed it was because they'd have no chance of ever catching up if they did have a puncture, so it would be a pointless exercise carrying additional kit anyway, because a stoppage would cost you so much time. But what about little me in my little mini-sprint?

Q2: Are bathing caps compulsory?

I'm in England, by the way, and governed by British rules, so it may be different from the US.

Thanks, Jac

2006-09-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: #535232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
Subject: RE: Some really dumb questions!
Hi,

I always carry a spare tube and a gas pump in a poutch under my saddle. Even in races. That way yolu can still get back to the transition area and finish the race if you still want to. Wouldn't want to have to walk miles with my cycling shoes...

Don't know about bathing caps. Unless the race is providing them to indentify you (as a specific age group or something) I would guess you don't need one. If you do it would probably be stated in the race rules somewhere.

Good luck tomorrow.
If you can't sit still and it's a sprint, go for a short easy ride or run !
2006-09-09 3:23 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Training or racing, I start out with two tubes and some tire levers in a small pouch under the saddle. I also carry a tire pump attached to my bike's frame. Lots of cyclists carry compressed air instead of the pump. You can put a few small tools in the pouch too. It all adds weight, and that may not be acceptable for the pros, but a few extra ounces are worth it for me.

If the swim cap is required at your race, they should be providing one in the race package and saying so in the rules. They've been required at all the tri's I've done but I don't believe that's universal.
2006-09-09 3:58 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
mathsgeek - 2006-09-09 2:26 PM

I'm in England, by the way, and governed by British rules, so it may be different from the US.

Thanks, Jac

As you are governed by British rules, you will be required to take tea at the interval. And you will have to spell things like this: tyre and colour. And pronounce this word -- schedule -- like this: SHED-yule.

It's probably true that in a mini-sprint you won't have much time to fix a burst tyre and get back in the race. But still, you will probably want to have a spare tube, some tire levers, and some way of inflating the tube when it's in. Oh, and maybe you should have some experience or practice changing the tire.

If your race has any sort of a wave start, with multiple distances and age groups and genders, then your race directors will most likely provide you with color-coded swim caps. This seems to be standard procedure. You can start your collection with this race!

2006-09-10 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I don't go anywhere on my bike, including racing, without a spare tube, a tire iron, and a CO2 cartridge.  My under-saddle bag is just big enough to fit all that, a gel, a $5 bill, and my car key.  Anything else I might want to carry has to go in my jersey pocket.

Having to change a tire on a sprint tri might drop you out of contention, but it will at least enable you to finish the race and keep you from having to take your bike for a long walk.

Rules may differ from US/UK, but the events I've been in here in the US have provided their own swim caps when they were required.  Still, whether required or not, it's not a bad idea to have a bright swim cap so that you are visible when doing open water swims.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some really dumb questions! Rss Feed