General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones and LTHR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-20 11:27 AM

Subject: HR Zones and LTHR
Dear all,

I have been doing endurance training for an Ironman (of course half) preparation and i am very close to this date. However, since i don't have proper coaching, I have not payed proper attention to my HR Zones or my LTHR threshold setting on my watch, so basically i was training blindly during last 6 month. I've just finished couple of Tri books and realized its importance. At the moment, I am a bit scared to do guided LT test, not to exhaust my energy before the race.

I owe Garmin Forerunner 735XT watch and I saw it has an option of Auto Detection of Max HR as well as somehow it automatically sets LTHR (i think it takes from the past training). Can you advise me if this auto detection functionality on the watch can be reliable at all? or what is the best way forward to be clever before the race and have something at hand? Maybe I can use my HRs from the training history in my watch?
I will be very grateful for your help.

Thanks.
Omar

2016-11-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: #5205507

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: HR Zones and LTHR
Omar, how soon is your race? You make it sound like it will be very soon. If so, don't worry about HR, HR zones, or LTHR.

Use what you have been training with. Whether that is pace or RPE , don't over bike it. Have a solid race.

Use your recovery time to research HR training. Then when you're ready to start again do the LTHR test.
2016-11-20 11:52 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Hi Nick, Thanks a lot for the response, my race is on 10th Dec and this weekend i am doing Olympic. So quite tight schedule and i don't want to blow it by over-training during these days.

I would stick to LTHR that is reported by my Garmin automatically and consider it as my threshold, with the hope that is correct measure.

Thanks
2016-11-21 12:08 AM
in reply to: otkeshelashvili

Master
Northern IL

At this point, don't think I'd change any training based on it. Just keep going with what you have been. You wouldn't over train from doing a test, but you could very well over think things by just starting use HR now. That includes using the Garmin calculated LTHR. No idea how it does that. By all means record the data if you like, but keep it more in the background.

2016-11-21 9:04 AM
in reply to: otkeshelashvili

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I wouldn't worry about it either, keep on training and do the actual test after you recover form the big IM.

However, you could use the Olympic run as a sudo-test.  From what I remember for a run race 10k ~ 95% of the HR average would be close to a LTHR test result. My history for 10k run race HR average was just above my LTHR so it would give you an idea about where your LTHR may be, if you run the run portion all out.  If you don't run all out then I wouldn't worry about the result providing you with any real number.

FWIW, I found on a Garmin blog the following info on how G calculates HR zones from their test, also seems to be a lot of distrust in the test method, whatever it may be:

Maximum (Z5) - >100%
Threshold (Z4) - 95-100%
High Aerobic (Z3) - 89-95%
Low Aerobic (Z2) - 80-89%
Warm Up (Z1) - <80%

The BT LTHR percentages are:

Maximum (Z5) - >100%
Threshold (Z4) - 96-99.3%
High Aerobic (Z3) - 91.3-95.3%
Low Aerobic (Z2) - 85.3-90.7%
Warm Up (Z1) - 66-84.7%

These numbers are a bit diff and allow the HR zones to always have the next zone to be -1 & +1.

The Joel Friel/Training peaks % are:

Maximum (Z5) - >100%
Threshold (Z4) - 95-99%
High Aerobic (Z3) - 90-94%
Low Aerobic (Z2) - 85-89%
Warm Up (Z1) - <85%

When you are ready do the test as described here and use whatever LTHR zone calculation you wish.  I do see the 735XT allows you to manually enter HR zone percentages too if you don't want to use the defaults zones from Garmin.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones and LTHR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR zone training test...a little worried about HR

Started by bigpaps
Views: 1138 Posts: 9

2012-03-26 4:51 PM Kido

Bike LT HR translate to run HR zones?

Started by tstick14
Views: 832 Posts: 5

2011-11-28 8:12 AM brigby1

How to estimate LTHR and Zones?

Started by mgalanter
Views: 2498 Posts: 4

2011-03-16 11:35 PM mikericci

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3999 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

HR zone questions...trouble staying in zones

Started by kimmitri408
Views: 1477 Posts: 11

2007-11-17 8:15 PM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : September 3, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Questions on training plan sport ratios, staying in HR zones, my HIM run suffers, training for a hot race, tri or road bike for a HIM and the length for a run focused training block.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 4, 2006
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?