General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
United States
City of Lake Saint Louis Parks and Recreation Department
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 27s
Overall Rank = 228/372
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Well, if you count the last 8 months, it was quite a "pre-race routine." The day had finally come. Ate well all week. Got good amount of rest the nights before. Had oatmeal, toast, coffee and water at home, then a Clif Bar and water at the race site.
Event warmup:

Splashed around a bit when our wave was ready to go. Talked to other BTers, it was very exciting to be at a big race.
Swim
  • 27m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Glad I had swam this on practice day, thanks slovegreen! Once we were 50 m out it thinned out but it was pretty tight there for a while, and I swam with my head out for a while. Then I settled into a groove, never felt super great, felt a little seasick, but followed another woman and that helped me sight and navigate. I felt like there were ocean waves or something!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I never felt strong but I was happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

A long haul up to the bikes. I just didn't want to forget anything! My bigger bike was on a lower rack so I didn't realize that it didn't really fit under--I struggled a little getting it in and out! Should maybe have figured that out earlier.

I don't know how to go much faster. It feels like there is just so much gear to put on. I have to have gloves, but those are hard to get on while wet.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 38s
  • 26.5 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't get warmed up until mile 14! I just felt like it shouldn't hurt as bad as it did, and since I didn't know the course super well, the first lap felt like an experiment. The second lap felt much better. It really pays to REALLY know the course well. There were so many people out there. Lots said "good race" or whatever as they whizzed by. It was just a passing frenzy! Lots of aero bars, disc wheels, etc. I felt pretty good. Coming up that last hill to transition was kinda hairy. Especially cuz there were 2 women chattin' away 2 abreast up the hill. Hello?! Before that a guy kept bugging me and tried passing me on the right! I finally yelled "Dude, pass me on the left!" and then I proceeded to get pissed and take off. I never saw him again. Maybe that's why my legs were tired going into transition too?! It was a beautiful day. I tried to remind myself of that. This course was 2 miles too long, though. It didn't occur to me til later. What's with that, LSL?! Ate a GU going out. Gatoade and water helped me thru.

Know the course better. Train more on hills, just be on the bike more. But really fun.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Legs were a little wobbly off the bike. My goal was for this not to be the case, because it usually means I might have pushed too hard on the bike. My darn visor and ponytail decided to fight when I was trying to take off and I struggled with that for a while!
Run
  • 59m 23s
  • 5.8 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Aaaahhhhh. This was excruciating for me. Running is so mental. I just didn't want it to hurt that bad. I started out fine with me 15 min run/2 min walk plan. But after that, I just walked when I couldn't run and ran when I could. Another pass-fest. I just marvel at people who can run. I wished I had a buddy out there, because I was plain old bored. I had a gu and felt better, and I drank a lot and felt fine. At least I did that right. It was hilly in my opinion. But--it was proably .4 mile short. Because there is literally no way I did that time (nothing to brag about, but I know). I am suprised that this was the case. Maybe to make up for the long bike course?!

Well, I always say it, but run more. Run hills. Lose 15 pounds. The tiny little bird bodies that kicked my ass reminded me of that.
Post race
Warm down:

Thank the dear Lord above that the race was over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, running, etc. But I really was happy with my race and proud of finishing well. It was a great experience, and a celebration of the year of training and all the other stuff in my life that I have overcome. Glad I did it, but I really don't have the desire to do that again. I will stick to my sprint distances and have a blast. Short course next year, baby!

Event comments:

Fun race. Suprised at the disparity in distances, but a shorter run? Who can argue with that? The build-up, the training, meeting BT friends and doing this all "together" is what mattered to me. I am proud to say I am a Olympic-distance triathlete!
I put some more pix in my albums section. Good times, good memories.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:42 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 0/372
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:38 | 26.5 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 loop course with the majority of the hills on the long course break-off.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:23 | 05.8 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/14
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a sunny, monotonous suburban course. Ugh.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-09 3:14 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course

2006-09-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: #535276

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course

YAY! Congratulations on being an Olympic Distance Triathlete! It was a lot of fun, and I think you did awesome.

I did find your bird body comment really entertaining!

We should go for a nice leisurely ride soon in this beautiful weather. And, I'll be volunteering at RecPlex... so, if your season isn't quite done, I can cheer you on, or if you want to cheer others on with me, let me know!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed