General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IronMan Depression Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-10 6:08 AM

Veteran
Subject: Post IronMan Depression
Has any one else suffered from post IM depression? I finished and i am still very happy about the race, but the last two weeks(after IM) have been depressing. I have had a difficult time with recovery. I couldn't relax and recover and ended up working out too hard and extending my recovery time just because i dont want to loose any fitness, plus it has become comorting, all the time spent sweating. after living IM for months it is sad to not have that goal any more. So i guess after recovery it is time to find another triathlon.

Travis

2006-09-10 6:13 AM
in reply to: #535478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: RE: Post IronMan Depression

Haven't finished an IM yet, just a half.  Just wanted to jump in and say hope you are feeling better.  And definitely sign up for another race... it will give you a goal to work towards and help with motivation. 

Congrats on your IM accomplishment.  That is awesome!  Hope to join the club in November

2006-09-10 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
I got that last year after IMC (my beginning season and first IM). My wife did the race too, but she knocked about 2 hours of her time from the year before, so she was all smiles.

This year, we got back from IMC on a Tuesday and left for Vegas on Wendesday. Just having that trip to look forward too and something completely non-Tri related helped me this year. No depression.

Is some other local race (even a run or DU, does not need to be a Tri) that you can do in a few weeks? Just do it for fun and take advantage of your fitness? I'm doing a Sprint next weekend just for fun, and too keep me focused for a bit longer.
2006-09-11 12:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Continue to sign up for stuff. Even if it is a few months away. It will give you something to look forward to!
2006-09-11 11:39 AM

User image

Gilbert, AZ

I was like that after IM AZ (my 1st IM). I did a Sprint a few wks after and really could not get into it. But, then I beat my brother-in-law by 2 sec. I was back.

Find some competition. Find a new goal someone to motivate you. I had a guy call me up out of the blue last year. I did not know him, he just noticed we were about the same weight and age, so he asked if I was up for some competition. It motivated him.

Now he beats me, now I need to step it up. Now it motivated me.

2006-09-11 2:38 PM

I feel exactly the same way - it feels similar to when I come back from a long, much-anticipated holiday. I use the term 'holiday hangover'. I guess now I have Ironman Hangover!

I actually miss the training and the feeling of slowly increasing strength and fitness. And I miss the comraderie with my training partners. Even though I have a few short runs planned for later this year I still don't feel that motivated. However, all those people I trained with who had done the race in previous years warned me I would feel this way, so I don't know why I surprised it is so bad!

If you find a solution, let us know.

Cheers, Mermaid

2006-09-11 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Happens to all of us. Use this time to do something fun and different. Hang out with friends.
You don't lose fitness from recovering, you lose fitness from not working out. Since you have done all this hard work getting to this point you can now maintain the fitness. Recvoery is not an excuse to overeat! If you watch your diet and do a lot of easy high cadence work you can be good to your body while you are taking it easy.

also be careful of burnout. If you get too much training and racing going on you are crusin for a burnout, which I have done and is more depressing than being depressed after a big race.

Put your photos up where you can see them to remind yourself of the accomplishment you just did.

Congratulations and welcome to the Iron Club!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IronMan Depression Rss Feed