General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Side Stickers" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-10 8:53 AM

Expert
Salisbury
Subject: "Side Stickers"

This weekend during my race I got a terrible side sticker. It make the end of the bike really difficult and I absolutely couldn't run for more than a couple minutes during the run part.

I tried stretching as best I could on the bike and tried running/walking with my arms up to stretch but it simply wouldnt' go away.

Anyone have any tricks to get over a side sticker or cramp of any sort?

2006-09-10 5:05 PM
in reply to: #535506

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: "Side Stickers"
I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the internet. I could also be full of **** in saying all this, but this is what I have been told over the years (or my coaches could be full of ****). I am pretty sure that side cramps are from your organs/diaphram bouncing around. Exhailing when the foot on the side opposite to the cramp is supposed to help during a cramp. I've been told that stronger abs is the way to prevent them (lots of sit ups). A cramp on the right side (which I get from time to time) is normally associated with your liver bouncing around, if you exhale (diaphram goes up) as your right foot hits the ground (liver goes down) your ligaments on that side are stretched, and if your abs aren't strong enough, you muscles can spasm, causing the cramp.
2006-09-10 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
It is a strain of the ligaments that connect the diaphragm and the liver. You can try pushing up on the liver or change the way you are breathing at that moment. Take longer breathes or shorter ones. Whatever works for you.
2006-09-10 10:53 PM

User image

I've found that pretending as if you are blowing up a balloon really helps.  Do it a couple of times (preferably while walking, as it will really screw up your breathing while running!) and your side stitch should go away... works for me!

Edited by Vaiza 2006-09-10 10:54 PM
2006-09-11 11:57 AM

User image

Gilbert, AZ

The theroy is, in most cases it is because taking in too much fluid.  However, it seems to happen in runners, but not in cycling. Spasm of the diaphram because of organs bouncing on it, it the theory with running.

Try to reduce the amout of fluid you take in. But, when it happens, try breathing out when the right foot hits the ground. If that does not work, try breathing out when the left foot hits the ground 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Side Stickers" Rss Feed