Other Resources My Cup of Joe » new road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-15 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: new road bike
I'm pretty excited. When I realized how much it would cost to add to my current bike (aero bars, etc), I decided to look for a used bike on ebay. I went to the locl cycle shop for tips and the guy told me which road bikes were best for tris and which bikes to look for and what price range. There are tons of bikes on ebay! Well, I got lucky and found a new Felt F75 for $400. IT was there last one of last year's model and wanted it off the floor. I called the local shop and he said buy it now :-) So I did! I can't wait to get it (I might have to wait for Christmas day :-) though). I went on a 10m ride with my fat tires wondering how much faster the road bike will be :-)

I will have to get cycle shoes since it comes with clipless pedals and aero bars. Any recommendations

2003-12-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2532

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: new road bike
No suggestions for the cycling shoes. Just wanted to add that yes ebay can be a good source for equipment. I purchased a heart rate monitor last week for 30 dollars. Congrats on the bike. I hope you enjoy riding it in that Cold 50 degreen air.
2003-12-15 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
It was actually 70 degrees this weekend for my run and bike. Beautiful out! This makes up for that summer training >90 degrees with 90-100% humidity
2003-12-15 10:28 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
I use Lake CX1??(I think 100 but not sure). They are well ventilated and only have one strap for closure. The idea of the one strap is for quick transitions. There are specific tri shoes which typically have lots of ventilation and 1 or 2 straps. Lake is a pretty bottom end shoe but works well for me. You have to be careful with some shoes. Some shoes don't accept all types of cleats. Shoe sizes also tend to vary by brand so be careful, or try the same style on before you buy them. Congrats on the bike purchase.
2003-12-15 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2536

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I will take it to the local shop for fitting and will get shoes that I know will work with cleats before the fitting. I will ask about those shoes. They know I am concentrating on tris and they said they have shoes with the straps, I will ask about the Lake shoes. Thanks again for the info.
2003-12-15 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2540

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I must drool with envey. I wish I could contimplate an outdoor ride at this time. Locally we have recieved over 3 FEET of snow this week. Boston can be a tough place to train. Well when I compete in my first tri this spring it will have all been worth it. Good luck on the shoe shopping and I hope you do not have wide feet like me.

Joe

2003-12-16 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Joe. Yes, I am thankful to be living here. I tried other Northern states and moved back home :-)
2003-12-22 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Got my new bike Friday! I was like a little kid at Christmas :-) Especially since it was a Christmas present. It was kind of funny because I get it put together (most already put together) and I couldn't even pump the tires with the presta valves (learned what that was over the weekend) and I didn't have shoes yet :-) Went to shop to get shoes, shorts, new pump with gage and fits presta, bike computer, mini pump for on bike, bike tool and $230 later I'm out of there! It's dark when I get home, but I practiec with the shoes between car and garage door. Finally decide to ride around neighborhood. Felt a little awkward in the dark for first ride.

Sat morning I have to help my parents move in and I ended up unloading truck by myself for an hour and one helper for 3 hours! My parents can't lift much. After a short nap, I have to try my new bike :-) I practice the shoes again and head out. I notice I hit 19mph with low effort and 22mph with just moderate effort. Cadence is only 70, so have to practice getting up between 90-120 as some of you have recommended. This is less effort than 16mph on mtb and even had some wind in my face.

I slowed down after 15mins to play with shifting gears and brakes and getting used to new position. Started getting a little winded since already worked legs hard earlier in the day and butt getting sore :-) I also spent a few minutes concentrating on pedaling in circles with clipless pedals and could feel the difference.

I am looking forward to getting my mileage up and will get aeor bars once fully used to bike.
2003-12-22 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2767

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I am very happy for you. I too was amazed at what a good road bike setup could do to an existing fitness level. Don't be afraid to seek a pro's help in a proper bike fit. It may cost a few bucks but can be worth it. I set my bike the way I wanted it, went in for a fitting and the shop said a fitting was not worth my money due to an already good set up. It was nice to know that I had a second oppinion on my setup. Good luck and happy ridding.

Joe
2003-12-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2779

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Joe! My shop said to wait 2-300 miles and then come in for fit and tuneup after get used to bike and let cables stretch. I will also add aero bars then. The shop wouldn't sell them to me until I got used to the bike first since I've never had a road bike, much less aero bars.

I can see where the aero bars will be even more important to me. I have a bad left wrist (old injury not caught by dr now wrist has arthritis and bones are out of alignment :-) )with only 30% motion and my hand starts to fall asleep around 30mins in this new position.

I am working on cadence now more than speed. I am doing 75 now and will add 5 each week to concentrate on. Just trying to stay in gear for effort level and not watching speed too much.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » new road bike Rss Feed