BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Mike, glad to hear you are progressing well! I will look for the guy with the giant scar next time I'm at the pool, maybe we will overlap!

Did masters on Saturday and it crushed me (again). He made me redo my 200 and 500 time trial (2:47 and 8:07...so both a little faster). They are doing an hour long swim on Saturday so the second half of practice was just 100 after 100 after 100. 16 100s @ 1:50 and then 11 @ 2:00. We were supposed to do 7 more @ 1:45 but ran out of time (thank god) so we only did one. I was hitting 1:35-1:38 pretty consistently, but not sure I could've kept that up only getting 5 seconds rest.

Going to masters again tonight. Definitely feeling much better in the water these days. He moved me down a lane so instead of struggling (and failing) to keep up I was leading.

2017-02-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Had a good week of training so far (and it's not over yet), with a completely brutal 5x4' VO2 bike session, a 4x8' threshold bike session, 400 repeats on the track, a bunch of easy runs, and three swims.  This morning's swim didn't feel great (felt like I was carrying a lot of fatigue from the training this week), but I hit the paces that were asked of me.

Tomorrow will be a long ride and Sunday a long run....and to "celebrate", I will have a glass of wine (or two) on National Drink Wine Day tomorrow

Nice effort, Nicole!!!
2017-02-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I caught my foot while spinning out of the car and my low back went POP and hurt like hell for like three hours.  I knew that was inevitable that I would do something like this, but man I was hoping to not do when it's still so sensitive in there.  It eventually settled down and feels just fine today.

Day off today but we're going to walk around Fells Point for a while - back at the gym/bike/TM/pool tomorrow while The Daughter swims.  I have to travel Wed/Thurs this week so I want to be ready for that.

Mike, glad to hear things are coming along and that POP will hopefully amount to nothing. Great job getting right back to the gym!
2017-02-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hi team,

Long training hours makes for a tired bullfrog... and for less time to post things on the internet.

Anyway, my final big week is complete and in the books, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. I had a total of 14 hours 23 minutes, and hit all the workouts I felt were key. I was 1 run, and 1 swim short on what I had planned, but really I can't complain.

So now I'm going into taper mode for the next 12 days till race time.

My plan (unless the more experienced here give me a better one) is to cut my total down to about half for the week, so about 7 hours, but with some higher intensity efforts sprinkled in. I'm planning something along the lines of;
3 x swim, (30-45) min each.
2 x bike, (1 x 1hr, 1 x 2hr)
4 x run, (3 x 30 min, 1 x 60)

You'll be fine!!
I had a 3 week taper last summer for IM which amounted to 12:45 with 3 weeks to go including: 3 1hour swims, 3 bikes - 1 was a 45 min bike to a brick run, 1 was an hour doing hill repeats for a 1/2 hour of it, and one was a 4 hour ride, running was 4 hours with a 2 hour long run in there (perhaps too much on that run). With two weeks to go I cut back to 10 hours - 3 in the pool, 3:45 on the bike, and 3:15 running. The final week leading up to the race it was 5:30 total not including the race - 1:30 swim, 2 hours bike, and 2 hours run. I know I didn't meet the full 2 hours of running but had to do a lot of walking around at IM.
I felt strong...right up through mile 60 on the bike when I started getting hypothermia....so there's that. (7 straight hours of pouring rain and unforecast temp drop) but the training went great.
2017-02-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Andrew - this is really exciting to follow. I have no idea about tapering, never having done longer than a Sprint which doesn't require such a thing, but I'll be following the rest of your journey with interest. -Matt

I taper for my sprints...  Just the week prior, and especially the few days prior.  For a couple longer road races (HM then the Dopey) I tapered longer, and really feel like it helped.  You start to recover from the training fatigue.  

2017-02-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Mike, glad to hear you are progressing well! I will look for the guy with the giant scar next time I'm at the pool, maybe we will overlap! Did masters on Saturday and it crushed me (again). He made me redo my 200 and 500 time trial (2:47 and 8:07...so both a little faster). They are doing an hour long swim on Saturday so the second half of practice was just 100 after 100 after 100. 16 100s @ 1:50 and then 11 @ 2:00. We were supposed to do 7 more @ 1:45 but ran out of time (thank god) so we only did one. I was hitting 1:35-1:38 pretty consistently, but not sure I could've kept that up only getting 5 seconds rest. Going to masters again tonight. Definitely feeling much better in the water these days. He moved me down a lane so instead of struggling (and failing) to keep up I was leading.

You're an absolute torpedo in the pool!  Nicely done!

2017-02-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi team, Long training hours makes for a tired bullfrog... and for less time to post things on the internet. Anyway, my final big week is complete and in the books, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. I had a total of 14 hours 23 minutes, and hit all the workouts I felt were key. I was 1 run, and 1 swim short on what I had planned, but really I can't complain. So now I'm going into taper mode for the next 12 days till race time. My plan (unless the more experienced here give me a better one) is to cut my total down to about half for the week, so about 7 hours, but with some higher intensity efforts sprinkled in. I'm planning something along the lines of; 3 x swim, (30-45) min each. 2 x bike, (1 x 1hr, 1 x 2hr) 4 x run, (3 x 30 min, 1 x 60)

I was just listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about tapering.  They were talking about a three week taper, where you'd reduce your volume by 10-20% each week.  The trick for tapering, though, is that you want to reduce your volume, but you absolutely need to keep your intensity!  Intensity should be at or slightly above race intensity.

If it were me, coming off a 14.5 hour week, I'd be looking to do something like 11-12 hours this week, and then 5-6 hours the week of the race (obviously not including the race)....potentially with two days before the race as a rest day (or swim only) and the day before the race being a short bike and a short run off the bike.

2017-02-20 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I had some blood work done last week and it turns out I'm slightly low in Iron (not at the point of being anemic yet), Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. I'd like to get these levels up by adding nutrient-rich foods to my diet, rather than using supplements, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that some supplements may be necessary.

Anyone else get blood work done regularly? Anyone make changes to their diets as a result of the results? Anyone have supplements that they like / recommend?

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I'll be adding it back into my diet (started today even!). I generally eat a good amount of nutrient-rich foods (leafy greens, yogurt, milk, eggs, good fats), but the seafood around here has left a lot to be desired, so I don't eat much fish and haven't been eating much red meat either. Will be experimenting for the next several weeks and may see if I can get another round of lab work done and decide if I want to supplement.

2017-02-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

How about a little training comic relief for you on a Monday?

Had a bike crash today.  Nothing too serious, just a bruised knee.  No bike damage except I trashed my speed sensor.  The funny part?  I was on the trainer.  No not rollers.  The stationary kind.  Getting off the bike, was getting my second leg over the top tube, caught my foot on it, and couldn't recover until the whole thing had gone over sideways with me onto the floor.  Saw the corner of my coffee table aimed for my face on the way down and somehow I went all Matrix and dodged it mid-fall.

Happy Monday!!

Dave - love the idea of songs on the playlist for donations.  Brilliant!  I'll be in for 2 as soon as Uncle Sam delivers those returns.

2017-02-20 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert
Dave - love the idea of songs on the playlist for donations.  Brilliant!  I'll be in for 2 as soon as Uncle Sam delivers those returns.

Pretty please - think of some good songs and thanks for make the donation.

DQ
2017-02-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5213961

User image

, California
Thankful for the holiday today. Monday would normally mean an early wake up so I can run before getting to work by 6 am but I was able to sleep in today before a 45 min run.

Unfortunately the pool that my swim squad uses is closed tonight so squad was cancelled. Had to go to the gym pool instead.

-Matt

2017-02-21 7:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Had a bike crash today.  Nothing too serious, just a bruised knee.  No bike damage except I trashed my speed sensor.  The funny part?  I was on the trainer.  No not rollers.  The stationary kind.  Getting off the bike, was getting my second leg over the top tube, caught my foot on it, and couldn't recover until the whole thing had gone over sideways with me onto the floor.  Saw the corner of my coffee table aimed for my face on the way down and somehow I went all Matrix and dodged it mid-fall.

Happy Monday!!

Hope you're ok! I'm chuckling, but also feel your pain. On two different occasions I've *nearly* tipped my trainer. Both times I was reaching to grab something off the ping pong table set up close (but not close enough) to my trainer.
2017-02-21 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Happy Monday!!

Hope you're ok! I'm chuckling, but also feel your pain. On two different occasions I've *nearly* tipped my trainer. Both times I was reaching to grab something off the ping pong table set up close (but not close enough) to my trainer.

Yeah, I've bitten it getting off the trainer before.  My foot clipped something against the wall as I was swinging my leg around - I then fell sideways and crashed into the treadmill.  I channeled my inner Neo, as well, to avoid any serious damage.  LOL

2017-02-21 7:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I had some blood work done last week and it turns out I'm slightly low in Iron (not at the point of being anemic yet), Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. I'd like to get these levels up by adding nutrient-rich foods to my diet, rather than using supplements, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that some supplements may be necessary.

Anyone else get blood work done regularly? Anyone make changes to their diets as a result of the results? Anyone have supplements that they like / recommend?

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I'll be adding it back into my diet (started today even!). I generally eat a good amount of nutrient-rich foods (leafy greens, yogurt, milk, eggs, good fats), but the seafood around here has left a lot to be desired, so I don't eat much fish and haven't been eating much red meat either. Will be experimenting for the next several weeks and may see if I can get another round of lab work done and decide if I want to supplement.

I've had my blood work done before, but all the numbers came up good, so I didn't have to do anything to deal with it. In fact, I've been turned away from donating blood for too high iron levels.

There are lots of sources of iron that aren't red meat--broccoli and spinach are the two highest vegetables. The thing about iron is there are different types and you need to make sure you are eating the heme type of iron (which generally comes from meat). If you are eating non-heme iron, you need to eat it in conjunction with meat so your body will absorb it. Phytates, a substance found in corn and some other starchy vegetables, will block the absorption of all kinds of iron, so you want to make sure you aren't eating those with your meat.

Vitamin D is pretty easy to get--go outside! Even in the winter, just 20min of sun exposure on a surface area the size of your face is sufficient for your body to produce enough Vitamin D.

Most dietary supplements not particularly useful, as your body either can't absorb the type of nutrient in them (this is especially important with the iron supplements) or the concentration of the nutrient is way to high for your body to absorb (common example is Vitamin C supplements). Food is the way to go!

2017-02-21 7:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I went this morning and had my resting metabolic rate tested again. I had it done last year and found out I was WAY under-fueling, which probably explains why prior to last year tri training just wore me out and lot. This morning's results are pretty comparable to last year's results. Without exercise, I should be consuming 3100 calories. It is HARD to do if you are eating high quality food. It is pretty easy to do when you eat junk all day. Add in tri training and the feeding frenzy is ridiculous.
2017-02-21 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I've had my blood work done before, but all the numbers came up good, so I didn't have to do anything to deal with it. In fact, I've been turned away from donating blood for too high iron levels.

There are lots of sources of iron that aren't red meat--broccoli and spinach are the two highest vegetables. The thing about iron is there are different types and you need to make sure you are eating the heme type of iron (which generally comes from meat). If you are eating non-heme iron, you need to eat it in conjunction with meat so your body will absorb it. Phytates, a substance found in corn and some other starchy vegetables, will block the absorption of all kinds of iron, so you want to make sure you aren't eating those with your meat.

Vitamin D is pretty easy to get--go outside! Even in the winter, just 20min of sun exposure on a surface area the size of your face is sufficient for your body to produce enough Vitamin D.

Most dietary supplements not particularly useful, as your body either can't absorb the type of nutrient in them (this is especially important with the iron supplements) or the concentration of the nutrient is way to high for your body to absorb (common example is Vitamin C supplements). Food is the way to go!

Thanks for the feedback!  I eat a lot of broccoli and used to eat a lot of spinach, which I should start doing again.  Many of my meals look like roasted broccoli/asparagus/cauliflower/sweet potatoes/Brussels sprouts plus a protein (which I'm now playing with beef and bison this week).

I'm actually a little surprised about the Vitamin D, as I do spend a decent amount of time outside....in fact, my obnoxious tan lines make this pretty obvious.  It's quite possible that I'm less Vitamin D deficient in the summer, when I actually get to run while the sun is higher up in the sky.  Could be interesting to get my Vitamin D levels tested again in, say, September

I read a great book about female athletic performance (Roar by Stacy Sims) and she notes that most of this can be done through diet, but Iron and Vitamin D supplementation may be necessary....I'll see what I can do naturally and cross that bridge later if I need to.

2017-02-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Thankful for the holiday today. Monday would normally mean an early wake up so I can run before getting to work by 6 am but I was able to sleep in today before a 45 min run.

Unfortunately the pool that my swim squad uses is closed tonight so squad was cancelled. Had to go to the gym pool instead.

-Matt

Matt - way to make it happen despite a closed pool! Nice work!
2017-02-22 9:37 AM

User image

Expert

Happy Monday!!

I've tipped before as well and it wasn't a pretty sight. There were no Matrix moves just an ever quickening fall closer to the floor. Thank god you didn't hurt anything more than your pride.
2017-02-22 9:44 AM

User image

Expert

I went this morning and had my resting metabolic rate tested again. I had it done last year and found out I was WAY under-fueling, which probably explains why prior to last year tri training just wore me out and lot. This morning's results are pretty comparable to last year's results. Without exercise, I should be consuming 3100 calories. It is HARD to do if you are eating high quality food. It is pretty easy to do when you eat junk all day. Add in tri training and the feeding frenzy is ridiculous.

I wish I had your problem. I love my new caveman diet (I've dropped 15 pounds in a little more than two weeks) but I don't feel I get to eat all the time. In fact, I'm really missing out on my old favs like smoothies and the like. Luckily the high fat keeps me satiated.

But good on you for eating well and for all the work you put in!
2017-02-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
My workout yesterday blew chunks. I got to the gym tired from a hard day and just didn't feel the energy needed to really push my workout (20 minutes of running and 40 minutes of biking). Today is a pool workout and I hope to really crush it to make up for yesterday. 54 days to Boston.

Hope everyone is healthy and drinking some tasty beer.
2017-02-22 10:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

I wish I had your problem. I love my new caveman diet (I've dropped 15 pounds in a little more than two weeks) but I don't feel I get to eat all the time. In fact, I'm really missing out on my old favs like smoothies and the like. Luckily the high fat keeps me satiated.

But good on you for eating well and for all the work you put in!

15 pounds! Congrats!

2017-02-22 12:06 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 My workout yesterday blew chunks. I got to the gym tired from a hard day and just didn't feel the energy needed to really push my workout (20 minutes of running and 40 minutes of biking). Today is a pool workout and I hope to really crush it to make up for yesterday. 54 days to Boston. Hope everyone is healthy and drinking some tasty beer.

Sorry it sucked, Dave.  You know the rule though - any workout is better than no workout.  So props for going through with it!

2017-02-22 2:39 PM
in reply to: #5214036

User image

, California
Good job on the 15 pounds Dave, and getting through a workout you didn't feel like doing!

430 am run this morning, SMOG Squad tonight.

-Matt
2017-02-22 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Everyone! I'm Kate. Dave pinged me to come back.

I hope everyone is doing well! I will start reading up soon.

I have a question. I started doing Masters for my NY resolution. I've been going twice a week at 6AM and swim for an hour usually just around 3k yards.

I'm exhausted. Any idea when I will get used to this and be less exhausted? I though I would be in more of a groove by now.

On a good note I'm feeling stronger in the water and broke 30 on a 50 from a push. So other than feeling constantly like a nap I am living the swimming.
2017-02-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Monday!!

Yeah, I've bitten it getting off the trainer before.  My foot clipped something against the wall as I was swinging my leg around - I then fell sideways and crashed into the treadmill.  I channeled my inner Neo, as well, to avoid any serious damage.  LOL

Glad you are okay!
I'm also glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. Years ago I had shoulder surgery and was doing spin class with my arm in a sling. Somehow I lost my balance getting my water bottle and pretty much got bucked off the spin bike in the middle of class. It was not pretty.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39035 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.