BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-22 5:23 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Hi Everyone! I'm Kate. Dave pinged me to come back.

I hope everyone is doing well! I will start reading up soon.

I have a question. I started doing Masters for my NY resolution. I've been going twice a week at 6AM and swim for an hour usually just around 3k yards.

I'm exhausted. Any idea when I will get used to this and be less exhausted? I though I would be in more of a groove by now.

On a good note I'm feeling stronger in the water and broke 30 on a 50 from a push. So other than feeling constantly like a nap I am living the swimming.

YEA!!! KATE IS BACK!

I'm not sure when you will start feeling better but it means you are getting in killer workouts! I would say that the fact that you've been tired for so long might mean that the class is doing a good job of keeping you challenged. What does the group think?

2017-02-22 5:25 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

430 am run this morning, SMOG Squad tonight.

-Matt

Nice job on the early morning run. Enjoy your squad workout tonight!
2017-02-22 5:48 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Qua17

My workout yesterday blew chunks. I got to the gym tired from a hard day and just didn't feel the energy needed to really push my workout (20 minutes of running and 40 minutes of biking). Today is a pool workout and I hope to really crush it to make up for yesterday. 54 days to Boston.

Hope everyone is healthy and drinking some tasty beer.

Today I got to the gym on a mission - I wanted to crush my workout. And I did. I swam 100's and then walked a hundred in the pool. Each swim hundred was faster than the previous. I swam 8 100s and brought my time from 2:12 to 1:49. Sure - I'm no Nicole but I worked my butt off.

God it felt so good!
2017-02-22 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well 3 days into the taper, and I"m feeling like a sloth.

2 x 30 minute runs, and 2 x 30 minute swims so far this week. I have thrown some strides into the runs tho, so a little speed work is fun.

Tonight I'll be biking for about an hour followed by a short, brick run.

Thanks for those who gave me some feedback on my tapering plan. There is a lot of information out there, unfortunately lots of it conflicting. Hopefully your experiences will help me stumble through OK.
2017-02-23 8:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

My workout yesterday blew chunks. I got to the gym tired from a hard day and just didn't feel the energy needed to really push my workout (20 minutes of running and 40 minutes of biking). Today is a pool workout and I hope to really crush it to make up for yesterday. 54 days to Boston.

Hope everyone is healthy and drinking some tasty beer.

Today I got to the gym on a mission - I wanted to crush my workout. And I did. I swam 100's and then walked a hundred in the pool. Each swim hundred was faster than the previous. I swam 8 100s and brought my time from 2:12 to 1:49. Sure - I'm no Nicole but I worked my butt off.

God it felt so good!

That is awesome! That is a huge drop, way to kick that workouts butt!
2017-02-23 8:24 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Kate, welcome back!

As for your sleepiness conundrum, are you going to bed and waking up at the same time every day? How much sleep are you getting each night? Personally, I love morning workouts but if I'm not in a habit of going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, I can feel really wiped out, especially on those early days.

Also, are you getting solid sleep? Do you have anything that tracks it? Do you eat right before bed or fall asleep to a TV? Those are things that generally interfere with me.

2017-02-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great to see everyone having workouts, especially that some of those workouts are good ones! I'm struggling lately. Last week I was at a conference and was super busy. Didn't really worry about not getting in any workouts. Figured my body could use a good rest after my HM. Then, I got home and promptly got sick...really, really sick. I managed to get in a terrible swim on Monday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday nothing but laying on the couch. I didn't even go to work, which is huge for me. I'm feeling better today, but I think I have an ear infection, which scuttles my plans for a short swim at lunch. Ugh!! I'm frustrated and bored.
2017-02-23 1:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Great to see everyone having workouts, especially that some of those workouts are good ones! I'm struggling lately. Last week I was at a conference and was super busy. Didn't really worry about not getting in any workouts. Figured my body could use a good rest after my HM. Then, I got home and promptly got sick...really, really sick. I managed to get in a terrible swim on Monday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday nothing but laying on the couch. I didn't even go to work, which is huge for me. I'm feeling better today, but I think I have an ear infection, which scuttles my plans for a short swim at lunch. Ugh!! I'm frustrated and bored.

SO sorry you're not feeling well! Think it's time for a trip to the doctors or are you gonna wait it out?
2017-02-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Well 3 days into the taper, and I"m feeling like a sloth.

If you're feeling like a sloth when tapering for an IM, then you are doing it right! Rest up - and remember - you have earned the rest!
2017-02-23 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
What a beautiful day we had today. It was so nice there was absolutely no way I could go to the gym - I had to get outside for my run and ride.

An hour and a half of exercise later and I am sure of three things

1) The time limit for Boston is 6:30 or 26 15 minute miles.... It's gonna be close. For the three miles I did today I averaged 15:33 per mile. I really pushed the pace of my walking during the last two miles and got them unnder 15 but its gonna be freaking hard to sustain that pace for 26 miles for me. Which means I have to do two things - 1) Work out harder and 2) Stick to a strict diet to drop as much weight as possible. If I could lose another 15 that would help immeasurably!

2) I've been kidding myself on my bike workouts at the gym. I averaged 11.4 miles on my 45 minute ride outside today. Any sort of hill crushed me. So that means that starting today I need to work outside as much as possible and will need to buy some all weather clothes for my fat body (I have some that will fit thin Dave - but not fat dave).

3) Question - My heart rate monitor on my 920 (which is an old garmin one) isn't picking up my heart rate. Should I buy a new one or just try replacing the battery. I'm thinking about going big and getting one of those new garmin ones that will work under water. DOes anyone have one of those?

With 53 days left to Boston - today made one thing clear - it's time to get to work.
2017-02-23 2:59 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

What a beautiful day we had today. It was so nice there was absolutely no way I could go to the gym - I had to get outside for my run and ride.

An hour and a half of exercise later and I am sure of three things

1) The time limit for Boston is 6:30 or 26 15 minute miles.... It's gonna be close. For the three miles I did today I averaged 15:33 per mile. I really pushed the pace of my walking during the last two miles and got them unnder 15 but its gonna be freaking hard to sustain that pace for 26 miles for me. Which means I have to do two things - 1) Work out harder and 2) Stick to a strict diet to drop as much weight as possible. If I could lose another 15 that would help immeasurably!

2) I've been kidding myself on my bike workouts at the gym. I averaged 11.4 miles on my 45 minute ride outside today. Any sort of hill crushed me. So that means that starting today I need to work outside as much as possible and will need to buy some all weather clothes for my fat body (I have some that will fit thin Dave - but not fat dave).

3) Question - My heart rate monitor on my 920 (which is an old garmin one) isn't picking up my heart rate. Should I buy a new one or just try replacing the battery. I'm thinking about going big and getting one of those new garmin ones that will work under water. DOes anyone have one of those?

With 53 days left to Boston - today made one thing clear - it's time to get to work.

You have plenty of time, and have been doing so well at keeping up with your training (and it sounds like you're keeping up with eating well also). I am not worried about you making it at all if you keep doing everything you're supposed to!

As for the Garmin watches, I have a vivoactive and love it. It's not as fancy as the 920, so I don't think it does as much, but it does everything I need it to do.

2017-02-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: #5214205

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
No doctor!! I actually felt a lot better starting around noon. The best medicine is a little warm sunshine, right? I just knocked out a short run outside (72F with a light breeze). It was my first run since my HM. It felt really good.
2017-02-23 3:55 PM
in reply to: #5214289

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Kate--welcome back!!

Andrew--sloth? Yep, you're doing taper properly!!

Dave--you're gonna knock the socks off Boston!!
2017-02-23 5:34 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Still managing a couple runs a week as I can with breaks in the non-stop rain we've been getting out here in California. Being a weather wimp who started running during a 5 year drought, it's been tough adjusting to all this wet coming from the sky! I remember last year I was posting pictures from the sunny beach while everyone else was getting snowed in. I also added a couple lunch time bike rides in this week along with mini (2 mile) bike commutes by carpooling with my wife to her office then leaving our truck there and biking to/from mine.

Beer wise, a couple weekends ago I took my wife to Universal Studios - Hollywood. In the "Harry Potter" area there is a tavern that sells beer brewed specifically for Universal Studios. All three were good: British lager, Scottish ale, and coffee stout. Better than I was expecting considering I was at an amusement park! For dinner we ate at the Gordon Biersch restaurant (a San Diego brewery) and I had a mighty fine IPA with my meal.

Keep up the good work everyone!

2017-02-23 5:47 PM

User image

Expert

No doctor!! I actually felt a lot better starting around noon. The best medicine is a little warm sunshine, right? I just knocked out a short run outside (72F with a light breeze). It was my first run since my HM. It felt really good.

Glad to hear you are on the mend and were able to get out for a nice run in this amazing weather! It's glorious isn't it. We had 71 today in Bean Town!
2017-02-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Beer wise, a couple weekends ago I took my wife to Universal Studios - Hollywood. In the "Harry Potter" area there is a tavern that sells beer brewed specifically for Universal Studios. All three were good: British lager, Scottish ale, and coffee stout. Better than I was expecting considering I was at an amusement park! For dinner we ate at the Gordon Biersch restaurant (a San Diego brewery) and I had a mighty fine IPA with my meal.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Isn't Gordon Biersch the place with the amazing Garlic Fries - Did you have those? If I'm remembering the right place from our years back in San JOse - those things were Godly!

PS - Love the fact that your profile pick is the BDAS bike shirt!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-23 5:51 PM

2017-02-23 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Andrew--sloth? Yep, you're doing taper properly!!

Well that's good to hear.

I'm also looking forward to a good sleep in on Sunday, as there won't be a long bike to get up and do.
2017-02-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Andrew - enjoy the sleep! I saw a funny meme the other day that said "finally the weekend! Oh wait I'm a triathlete..." I'm sure you can really relate to that by now!

45 minute trainer ride tonight. Friday recovery day coming up. Woohoo

-Matt
2017-02-24 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Great to see everyone having workouts, especially that some of those workouts are good ones! I'm struggling lately. Last week I was at a conference and was super busy. Didn't really worry about not getting in any workouts. Figured my body could use a good rest after my HM. Then, I got home and promptly got sick...really, really sick. I managed to get in a terrible swim on Monday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday nothing but laying on the couch. I didn't even go to work, which is huge for me. I'm feeling better today, but I think I have an ear infection, which scuttles my plans for a short swim at lunch. Ugh!! I'm frustrated and bored.

Back in mid-January, I got hammered by a cold...had a low-grade, off and on fever for like 5 days and was coughing like crazy and too tired to do much of anything.  It was about two weeks before I was 100% again (though I think surgery in the middle of that didn't help... ).  The seasonal cold bugs going around this year are really nasty.  Hope you feel better.

2017-02-24 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 What a beautiful day we had today. It was so nice there was absolutely no way I could go to the gym - I had to get outside for my run and ride. An hour and a half of exercise later and I am sure of three things 1) The time limit for Boston is 6:30 or 26 15 minute miles.... It's gonna be close. For the three miles I did today I averaged 15:33 per mile. I really pushed the pace of my walking during the last two miles and got them unnder 15 but its gonna be freaking hard to sustain that pace for 26 miles for me. Which means I have to do two things - 1) Work out harder and 2) Stick to a strict diet to drop as much weight as possible. If I could lose another 15 that would help immeasurably! 2) I've been kidding myself on my bike workouts at the gym. I averaged 11.4 miles on my 45 minute ride outside today. Any sort of hill crushed me. So that means that starting today I need to work outside as much as possible and will need to buy some all weather clothes for my fat body (I have some that will fit thin Dave - but not fat dave). 3) Question - My heart rate monitor on my 920 (which is an old garmin one) isn't picking up my heart rate. Should I buy a new one or just try replacing the battery. I'm thinking about going big and getting one of those new garmin ones that will work under water. DOes anyone have one of those? With 53 days left to Boston - today made one thing clear - it's time to get to work.

Your "keeping at it" is awesome - I think you'll hit your weight loss target and then some if you continue what you're doing.  As for the HR, try a battery change or re-pair (as opposed to repair) the two and see if that helps.  You definitely don't need a new watch, the 920 is probably the best watch Garmin has made.  The underwater HR stuff doesn't seem very accurate or valuable to me.

2017-02-24 7:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

30 days post-surgery, still lots of swelling "back" there (that still cracks me up...).  I'm doing a little light cycling and floating around in the pool 2-3 days a week.  I traveled up to CT Wed/Thurs plus spend all day both days at the office, like in real clothing (as opposed to my work at home outfits ).  I was just physically crushed.  My back hurt of course (expected), but the 2-3 miles/day of walking in dress shoes (airport, plus our complex in CT is HUGE) was something I hadn't thought about and I have some pretty good blisters to show for it.  Oh well.  And I slept like 9.5 hours at the hotel Wednesday night.  I start PT in a couple of weeks.

And Dave, you've sent the 15 lbs you've lost to me. 

2017-02-24 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

You definitely don't need a new watch, the 920 is probably the best watch Garmin has made.  The underwater HR stuff doesn't seem very accurate or valuable to me.

I wasn't thinking about a new watch - I love my Garmin 920. I was just thinking about getting one of the new HR straps. I will try repairing it.
2017-02-24 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Rest Day here in Balmy Boston. I've done my stretching and rolling to try to work out some of the kinks in my legs.

Based upon how my legs feel this morning, I need to get off the treadmill and get out onto the roads in order to get the best possible workout.

Please don't take my post yesterday as me being worried. My workouts yesterday where I really struggled to keep the 15:00 per mile pace just showed me that I have work to do and like all BDASERS - I intend to do it. I'm just going to embrace my inner Gretchen (The Machine) and I will be fine.

To just burn some calories - I might head out for a swim today too. I'm gonna sign up to do a race in June with John and I don't want him to kick my butt too badly. We've raced 2 times and he's 2 and 0.
2017-02-24 9:05 AM

User image

Expert

30 days post-surgery, still lots of swelling "back" there (that still cracks me up...).  I'm doing a little light cycling and floating around in the pool 2-3 days a week.  I traveled up to CT Wed/Thurs plus spend all day both days at the office, like in real clothing (as opposed to my work at home outfits ).  I was just physically crushed.  My back hurt of course (expected), but the 2-3 miles/day of walking in dress shoes (airport, plus our complex in CT is HUGE) was something I hadn't thought about and I have some pretty good blisters to show for it.  Oh well.  And I slept like 9.5 hours at the hotel Wednesday night.  I start PT in a couple of weeks.

And Dave, you've sent the 15 lbs you've lost to me. 

ENjoy those 15 pounds buddy because it will only be a matter of time before you work them off.

I've had back problems for the last decade and my doctor has suggested surgery. Based upon what you've been backed into (get it) with this surgery, I think I want to do everything possible to avoid it. You are one tough hombre to go through this with such a positive attitude.

Sorry to hear about all the blisters - that's gotta suck.
2017-02-24 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

You definitely don't need a new watch, the 920 is probably the best watch Garmin has made.  The underwater HR stuff doesn't seem very accurate or valuable to me.

I wasn't thinking about a new watch - I love my Garmin 920. I was just thinking about getting one of the new HR straps. I will try repairing it.

Ahh I misunderstood. I do not have a HR strap, so ignore my previous advice!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39050 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.