BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
DQ, how's the challenge going for you? How's that core work?

2017-02-24 9:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had an okay week of training so far. Swam Monday and had volleyball afterwards. Didn't get to bed until late so slept in Tuesday and was still beat by the evening, although I did walk to and from work. Wednesday I did my boot camp class and walked to and from work, then walked another mile to meet a friend for a drink. Yesterday I walked a bunch again and went on a 2.5 mile run with a friend, before running to football. Slept in again this morning. I have been pretty wiped out this week, likely because of all the extra walking I've been doing.

Might sign up for an indoor tri tomorrow at my gym just to get something in (my masters team is doing an hour swim Saturday night but I am helping a friend move all day so would rather get my workout out of the way early). If not, I will try to get to the pool on Sunday.

The weather has been amazing that past couple days. High 60s-70s. Whatever I do this evening, it will be outside
2017-02-24 10:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
NM, the tri is filled up tomorrow, so I will just have to get to a gym class or go for a run!
2017-02-24 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

You definitely don't need a new watch, the 920 is probably the best watch Garmin has made.  The underwater HR stuff doesn't seem very accurate or valuable to me.

I wasn't thinking about a new watch - I love my Garmin 920. I was just thinking about getting one of the new HR straps. I will try repairing it.

Ahh I misunderstood. I do not have a HR strap, so ignore my previous advice!

How are those core workouts coming. Is there any kale coming your way?
2017-02-24 10:33 AM

User image

Expert

HA - I asked you the same thing on the same day. The core work is going well. I'm crediting it with keeping me injury free for the first part of my training program. While I've done something each day - there have been days when I just haven't been able to hit my marks. That doesn't mean that I haven't been doing the work. Kale is a great motivator!

You?
2017-02-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

We're supposed to get a cold front coming through tonight, which is absolutely perfect because I'm racing a 10k tomorrow morning!  Forecast is for 51F at 7am, so that's just about perfect!

It's definitely not an "A" race or anything -- had a good week of training, with VO2 (4x5' @ 110%) and threshold (4x10' @ 95+%) sessions on the bike, 10k of swimming over three masters sessions, and just over 20 miles of running so far.  But I'm still hoping to PR this distance, since I've only raced it one time previously. 

Pre-race routine always includes a drink (or two) the night before the race....I'm thinking tonight will be a barrel aged Brett DIPA dry hopped with citra, galaxy, and mosaic hops

Anyone else racing?  Or have good weekend plans?

2017-02-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Pre-race routine always includes a drink (or two) the night before the race....I'm thinking tonight will be a barrel aged Brett DIPA dry hopped with citra, galaxy, and mosaic hops

Sounds like a delicious pre-race routine! No race for me this weekend however I do plan on going out for a long run this weekend. Hopefully the trails are not too muddy otherwise it will be on the road.

2017-02-24 1:10 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi Everyone! I'm Kate. Dave pinged me to come back. I hope everyone is doing well! I will start reading up soon. I have a question. I started doing Masters for my NY resolution. I've been going twice a week at 6AM and swim for an hour usually just around 3k yards. I'm exhausted. Any idea when I will get used to this and be less exhausted? I though I would be in more of a groove by now. On a good note I'm feeling stronger in the water and broke 30 on a 50 from a push. So other than feeling constantly like a nap I am living the swimming.
YEA!!! KATE IS BACK! I'm not sure when you will start feeling better but it means you are getting in killer workouts! I would say that the fact that you've been tired for so long might mean that the class is doing a good job of keeping you challenged. What does the group think?

+1 welcome back Kate!!

Regarding the exhaustion - are you normally an early riser?  If I have to get up early even if I do it every day, I never get used to it.

2017-02-24 1:11 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 My workout yesterday blew chunks. I got to the gym tired from a hard day and just didn't feel the energy needed to really push my workout (20 minutes of running and 40 minutes of biking). Today is a pool workout and I hope to really crush it to make up for yesterday. 54 days to Boston. Hope everyone is healthy and drinking some tasty beer.
Today I got to the gym on a mission - I wanted to crush my workout. And I did. I swam 100's and then walked a hundred in the pool. Each swim hundred was faster than the previous. I swam 8 100s and brought my time from 2:12 to 1:49. Sure - I'm no Nicole but I worked my butt off. God it felt so good!

Fantastic job Dave!!!

Way faster than me in the pool anyway.  Not that being faster than me is saying much!

2017-02-24 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by ligersandtions

We're supposed to get a cold front coming through tonight, which is absolutely perfect because I'm racing a 10k tomorrow morning!  Forecast is for 51F at 7am, so that's just about perfect!

It's definitely not an "A" race or anything -- had a good week of training, with VO2 (4x5' @ 110%) and threshold (4x10' @ 95+%) sessions on the bike, 10k of swimming over three masters sessions, and just over 20 miles of running so far.  But I'm still hoping to PR this distance, since I've only raced it one time previously. 

Good luck tomorrow and crush the 10k!  And I agree that sounds like an awesome pre-race routine  Never had barrel aged IPA of any kind, sounds delicious.

Weekend - won't be doing much for workouts but I am going to start a 15 week plan on Monday for that race with Dave in June.  So this weekend I am relaxing.  And going up to Burlington VT with a couple friends.  It was supposed to be a ski weekend but it's school vacation week, and high 60s in VT, and rain in the forecast.  Spring skiing is cool, but not when its crowded with New Yorkers.  And raining.

So, we're going on brewery tours instead.  Jenn - any recommendations?

Edited by firebert 2017-02-24 1:28 PM
2017-02-24 2:10 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

HA - I asked you the same thing on the same day. The core work is going well. I'm crediting it with keeping me injury free for the first part of my training program. While I've done something each day - there have been days when I just haven't been able to hit my marks. That doesn't mean that I haven't been doing the work. Kale is a great motivator!

You?

So far so good! I've been doing a lot of planking. Thinking about doing one of those challenges where I work up to 5 minutes straight. I'm certainly on my way! And you're right, I think eating raw kale is a better motivator than drinking Coors Light (although I really do hate coors light).

2017-02-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Masters swim this morning. I hit 2000m of our ladder (500m down by 100s, then back up) before I have to get out. We are spending the weekend at my in-laws house. My wife's grandmother turned 90yo on Tuesday, so we are having a party on Saturday. It is a trade off. I'm happy to be at the party, but I'm bummed to be missing out on our annual indoor tri. I've won my age group the last two years. I wanted to defend!!!
2017-02-24 2:36 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Masters swim this morning. I hit 2000m of our ladder (500m down by 100s, then back up) before I have to get out. We are spending the weekend at my in-laws house. My wife's grandmother turned 90yo on Tuesday, so we are having a party on Saturday. It is a trade off. I'm happy to be at the party, but I'm bummed to be missing out on our annual indoor tri. I've won my age group the last two years. I wanted to defend!!!

I think it's damn nice of you to let other people have a shot at the podium. Too bad you couldn't do a virtual race where you tracked your time at your in-laws house and compared it to the race finishing times.
2017-02-24 2:40 PM

User image

Expert

You?

So far so good! I've been doing a lot of planking. Thinking about doing one of those challenges where I work up to 5 minutes straight. I'm certainly on my way! And you're right, I think eating raw kale is a better motivator than drinking Coors Light (although I really do hate coors light).

While raw kale certainly disgusts me (I was thinking of trying kale chips), Coors light is still my go to motivator. I've got a silver bullet in my bag that I think about a lot. Once I did a race with Charles (he says hi by the way) and experienced severe dehydration. I should have stopped. Medically, I was in heat stroke and was so dizzy I couldn't run straight, but the thought of having to suck down a warm coors light was so strong I didn't even think of stopping.

As for planking for 5 minutes - ugh That would be quite the accomplishment!
2017-02-24 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Couldn't resist heading to the gym and getting in a swim workout on my day off. I put in the time and kept the effort low with 100's swim followed by 100's walked (our pool isn't deep enough for jogging).

Glad I went.

Onward people!

2017-02-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: #5214373

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up early this morning to squeeze in a run before all the birthday festivities begin. I look out the window and it is snowing. It is also 20F with 25mph winds. Ummm...after two weeks of 65F+ I kind of forgot it is still February. No cold weather gear. No gloves. No ear warmers. No long pants. Ugh--hit the hotel "gym". The treadmill was janky--5 min on it convinced me I'd get hurt if I tried to up the intensity, probably from parts flying off it! I ended up using the elliptical for 35 min and then hitting the weights for a while. The weight lifting setup was actually quite nice!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

2017-02-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #5214415

User image

, Vermont
^^^. John!! Yes for recommendations!! I'll have to get my beer map out, but definitely hit Switchback brewery tap room not far from downtown. A friend owns Farmhouse Tap and Grill just off Church Street - local farm to table fare and an amazing beer list. Vermont Pub and Brewery is decent - they usually have Maple Beer this time of year made with sap and their Burley Irish Ale is tasty.
Magic Hat's Brewery isn't far but I don't like their beer so I haven't been. Otter Creek Brewing is a bit down the roads, also decent. Here in Essex there's a little Tap room for First Republic Brewing and in Waterbury there is, of course, Heady Topper. Stowe - go to Von Trapp Family Lodge (yes, the Sound of Music family) - they make beer and it's gooood. There are lots of great restaurants in Burlington. For delicious Italian go to Trattoria Delia, for amazing local pizza almost next door to it is.. ..blanking... shoot, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Leunig's on Church Street is always tasty but you may need reservations. Is your plan to stay right in Burlington or are you going to venture outside of it?
Ack, sorry so long
2017-02-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Up early this morning to squeeze in a run before all the birthday festivities begin. I look out the window and it is snowing. It is also 20F with 25mph winds. Ummm...after two weeks of 65F+ I kind of forgot it is still February. No cold weather gear. No gloves. No ear warmers. No long pants. Ugh--hit the hotel "gym". The treadmill was janky--5 min on it convinced me I'd get hurt if I tried to up the intensity, probably from parts flying off it! I ended up using the elliptical for 35 min and then hitting the weights for a while. The weight lifting setup was actually quite nice!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

If there is a will, Gretchen makes a way! Happy birthday to grandmom.
2017-02-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Today's my birthday and I still got my workout in - a 30 minute run and a 30 mile bike.

I'm really getting a little worried about my speed. Last year, I was knocking off miles in the 11 to 12 minute range but right now my coach has me running/walking so I really have to run hard to make it under 15 minutes. I'm just hoping that 8 weeks is enough time to get the speed I need to realistically finish in 6:30 hours. I just want my yellow jacket and medal and the ability to say I finished.

Somebody have a beer for me....

Onward!

Edited by Qua17 2017-02-25 4:06 PM
2017-02-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ--I'll totally sacrifice and have a beer for you tonight! :P
2017-02-25 4:30 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Today's my birthday

Somebody have a beer for me....

Onward!

Happy birthday!!! Glad to hear you are 15 pounds under and still working on it - Boston is such a HUGE motivator.
As did as indicated, had not one but 2 beers at the hotel I am staying in Italy right now (just 1h on the treadmill, there is an outdoor pool but did not bring my wetsuit )

Hope weekend is going well between healers, training and tapers.

Juan

2017-02-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Had a huge PR at my 10k this morning -- my new 10k PR pace is the same as my old 5k PR race!  I'll get a race report up shortly, but wanted to let DQ know that I did have a couple beers to celebrate

2017-02-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5214436

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, awesome!!!!
2017-02-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5214436

User image

, California
Nice job on the PR Nicole!

Happy Birthday Dave!!! I will also sacrifice and have a bit of bourbon to you tonight!

SMOG OWS swim this morning. 44 degrees out, 53 degree water. Really pushed myself mentally to get in there (and stay in there). As mentioned before, I'm a huge wuss with cold water and weather. Managed to stay in 42 minutes and do 2200 yards. I was one of the final three people to get out (of the 30-ish crazies that went).

After family time I knocked out a 45 minute run this evening. Time to celebrate Dave's birthday ??

-Matt
2017-02-26 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e DQ, how's the challenge going for you? How's that core work?
HA - I asked you the same thing on the same day. The core work is going well. I'm crediting it with keeping me injury free for the first part of my training program. While I've done something each day - there have been days when I just haven't been able to hit my marks. That doesn't mean that I haven't been doing the work. Kale is a great motivator! You?

Probably the best core exercise out there, and anyone can do it with modification.  Of course, take any advice from the guy who just had back surgery with a grain of salt. 

5 min, huh?  That's pretty impressive.  I got to about 3 1/2 minutes.  I think i've shared these before, but some good plank exercises are:

Plank ladder:  30 plank/30 rest/40 plank/20 rest/50 plank/10 rest/1' plank/10 rest/40 plank/20 rest/30 plank

Rotating plank 45/15 front, left side, back bridge, right side, then repeat, and then do one last plank to failure

Plank endurance set:  45/15 x 10 or 15 or whatever front plank

Enjoy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39016 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.