BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Went to the gym today for probably the 2nd time in 4 months. I'm not going to say I was humbled but I couldn't help but realize that i was starting at ground zero. I did 20 minutes on the bike and then 10 minutes in the pool. The guy I shared the lane with was an Ironman and I can't help but think how far I've come from that pinnacle of fitness I reached in 2014.

So here are my goals for the month and week.

January Goals and weekly goals
1) Follow Trinewbie plan but add 25% to swim and bike.
2) Use MFP to keep track of calories and lose two pounds per week
3) Sign up for one race to keep me honest

2017-01-08 2:16 PM
in reply to: #5209487

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Whole 30 is an eating challenge designed to get people eating real food for 30 days. It is an elimination diet, with no alcohol, sugar, dairy, or grains allowed. I thought it would be tough, but so far it has been really easy and the food has been delicious! After Nov/ Dec of eating al bunch of crap, I needed something to reset my eating habits. The whole program is available online for free.
2017-01-08 7:25 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove Whole 30 is an eating challenge designed to get people eating real food for 30 days. It is an elimination diet, with no alcohol, sugar, dairy, or grains allowed. I thought it would be tough, but so far it has been really easy and the food has been delicious! After Nov/ Dec of eating al bunch of crap, I needed something to reset my eating habits. The whole program is available online for free.

You could get kicked out of this group for that

Glad to hear that it's going well and you've liked (almost) everything you've tried!

Just an easy 45 minute run for me today.  I'm itching for some longer and a bit of quality work, but my coach is keeping it easy so I can hit my hard swims and get my bike back to where it was last year.  

Enjoying a nice glass of Tempranillo right now and getting ready to crash shortly. 

2017-01-09 2:06 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Enjoying a nice glass of Tempranillo right now and getting ready to crash shortly. 

Nice way to end the week, Nicole! Thanks for your advice (and Mike's) on the trainer, I guess I should get used to it. Yesterday I did a couple hours ride and it was freezing (3C) but did not complain considering the temperatures you must have by now, specially some of you in the northern parts of the country (Jenn?)

Dave, good to have goals written, I find specially motivating to sign up for a race in the short term (I just signed up for a trail half marathon in Mid Feb), it helps me a lot to avoid skipping training sessions.

Gretchen, no sugar ok, no dairy allright, no grains not so easy to understand, but no alcohol....tough! But yes, so many free calories in our drinks - I am cutting it down since Jan, but keep my glass of red at night as my reward for the day.

Juan
2017-01-09 7:01 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by drfoodlove Whole 30 is an eating challenge designed to get people eating real food for 30 days. It is an elimination diet, with no alcohol, sugar, dairy, or grains allowed. I thought it would be tough, but so far it has been really easy and the food has been delicious! After Nov/ Dec of eating al bunch of crap, I needed something to reset my eating habits. The whole program is available online for free.

You could get kicked out of this group for that

Glad to hear that it's going well and you've liked (almost) everything you've tried!

Just an easy 45 minute run for me today.  I'm itching for some longer and a bit of quality work, but my coach is keeping it easy so I can hit my hard swims and get my bike back to where it was last year.  

Yeah, she lost me at no alcohol.  LOL

2017-01-09 11:21 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by Hook'em

I got my third master's swim in this week.  The plan is to get started back on the bike trainer this weekend and start the Winter Cycling Plan in a couple weeks.

Doug - I so wish my gym had a masters swim class. There is nothing to really push me in the pool and I'm out of luck when it comes to working on my form which isn't bad but it could be better. Good for you for getting it done.! Is cycling a weakness or a strength for you?

Master's swim is nice.  Unfortunately, there are not other swimmers in my Noon group with which I can pace.  Other than the workouts and a occasional push by the coach, I'm on my own to make myself work hard.

I wouldn't call cycling a weakness or a strength.  When I'm trained up, I'm a decent cyclist.  I've used the Winter Cycling Plan as a jump start a couple times with good results.  If you have a trainer, it's a great plan. 

2017-01-09 4:02 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

First swim this week - 2200 yds.  #5 workout for the month.  

I keep putting off the start to my winter cycling.  So, I've decided that I cannot watch any of the National Championship game without riding at least an hour on the trainer (likely while watching the game).  

2017-01-10 8:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I keep putting off the start to my winter cycling.  So, I've decided that I cannot watch any of the National Championship game without riding at least an hour on the trainer (likely while watching the game).  

Glad to see I'm not the only one who avoids the trainer! Since September, I've been on my bike exactly two times, both for 30 minutes. I need to get my butt in gear and get cycling worked back into my routine.
2017-01-10 8:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up with the masters team this morning--2500yds of descending sets. It was hard, but a good workout. We have the pool to ourselves this week (college team is away at a meet). It is glorious!

Yesterday life got in the way and I didn't get a workout in. Between arguing with the cable guy, moving our washer and dryer, buying a new washer and dryer, and fixing the dryer ducting, I just didn't find the time. I'd give myself a CLP, but I'm already eight days into a no alcohol January.
2017-01-10 8:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Sunday rest day for me! Spending a good chunk of the day meal planning, grocery shopping, and doing food prep for the week. So far, so good with the Whole30. Some of the recipes are fantastic!! So far, I've only made one thing I haven't liked, the BBQ sauce.

I'm going to note that my dislike of the BBQ sauce recipe is a direct result of me screwing it up. When the recipe calls for 1/2c apple cider and 1T apple cider vinegar, and you get the quantities reversed, nothing will taste good!!
2017-01-10 10:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Sunday rest day for me! Spending a good chunk of the day meal planning, grocery shopping, and doing food prep for the week. So far, so good with the Whole30. Some of the recipes are fantastic!! So far, I've only made one thing I haven't liked, the BBQ sauce.

I'm going to note that my dislike of the BBQ sauce recipe is a direct result of me screwing it up. When the recipe calls for 1/2c apple cider and 1T apple cider vinegar, and you get the quantities reversed, nothing will taste good!!

Bahahahaha that would do it! Have you tried remaking it? I'm interested in checking out this program. I've been trying to eat cleaner this month and prepare all my meals but have already failed. Need to go to the store today.

2017-01-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! There's been so much activity since I was on last! Getting caught up but I will likely miss stuff I wanted to comment on.

First of all, my Lasik went AWESOME. I was quite terrified, but the doctor said I was "cool as a cucumber" on the outside. The numbness wore off by the time I got home so falling asleep was really hard, but I did after about an hour of suffering. Woke up and the pain had subsided. I felt great and can see better than I have ever been able to. 20/15 vision! My eyes are still healing but I am through the worst of it.

I haven't worked out much. I can, but I was a little freaked out at first. I played volleyball last night and just had to keep putting drops in throughout the match. Going to a HIIT cycling class at the gym tonight to get back into the swing of things.

Thank you for the advice on linking my Garmin. I will be doing that tonight too probably. So glad to see so many familiar people returning, and the addition of a few BDAS newbies.

DQ, sounds like you are on the right track. I know it seems daunting, but just focus on the small goals. Eventually they will add up!! Let me know if you want to do another food logging competition. I haven't been tracking at all lately but probably need to.

Juan, I am going to be in your neck of the woods in May! Valencia though, so probably not super close.

Jenn, no good about the pain the other day! I hope it goes away soon. Way to listen to your body though and stop.

Gretchen, the finger thing does sound like a quirk. Probably just a circulation issue. When you run, are you hands closed into fists or relaxed? Try keeping your hands relaxed. You might have to think about it if you don't already. Just shake them out if you notice them getting tense. This might have nothing to do with it, but worth a try!

I think that's all I have for now. Keep up the great work!
2017-01-10 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Up with the masters team this morning--2500yds of descending sets. It was hard, but a good workout. We have the pool to ourselves this week (college team is away at a meet). It is glorious! Yesterday life got in the way and I didn't get a workout in. Between arguing with the cable guy, moving our washer and dryer, buying a new washer and dryer, and fixing the dryer ducting, I just didn't find the time. I'd give myself a CLP, but I'm already eight days into a no alcohol January.

We'll cut you a break on that one.  Sounds like a busy enough day to not inflict the CLP.

2017-01-10 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey everyone! There's been so much activity since I was on last! Getting caught up but I will likely miss stuff I wanted to comment on. First of all, my Lasik went AWESOME. I was quite terrified, but the doctor said I was "cool as a cucumber" on the outside. The numbness wore off by the time I got home so falling asleep was really hard, but I did after about an hour of suffering. Woke up and the pain had subsided. I felt great and can see better than I have ever been able to. 20/15 vision! My eyes are still healing but I am through the worst of it. I haven't worked out much. I can, but I was a little freaked out at first. I played volleyball last night and just had to keep putting drops in throughout the match. Going to a HIIT cycling class at the gym tonight to get back into the swing of things. Thank you for the advice on linking my Garmin. I will be doing that tonight too probably. So glad to see so many familiar people returning, and the addition of a few BDAS newbies. DQ, sounds like you are on the right track. I know it seems daunting, but just focus on the small goals. Eventually they will add up!! Let me know if you want to do another food logging competition. I haven't been tracking at all lately but probably need to. Juan, I am going to be in your neck of the woods in May! Valencia though, so probably not super close. Jenn, no good about the pain the other day! I hope it goes away soon. Way to listen to your body though and stop. Gretchen, the finger thing does sound like a quirk. Probably just a circulation issue. When you run, are you hands closed into fists or relaxed? Try keeping your hands relaxed. You might have to think about it if you don't already. Just shake them out if you notice them getting tense. This might have nothing to do with it, but worth a try! I think that's all I have for now. Keep up the great work!

So glad the Lasik went well...I've heard it's a life-changer for people.  Now if they could just correct my need for reading glasses, that I was in denial about for a couple of years LOL.

2017-01-10 10:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Bahahahaha that would do it! Have you tried remaking it? I'm interested in checking out this program. I've been trying to eat cleaner this month and prepare all my meals but have already failed. Need to go to the store today.

Not yet--I have to get to the store to buy more tomato paste before I can try again. I used all mine in the first, disastrous attempt.
2017-01-10 10:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Hey everyone! There's been so much activity since I was on last! Getting caught up but I will likely miss stuff I wanted to comment on.

First of all, my Lasik went AWESOME. I was quite terrified, but the doctor said I was "cool as a cucumber" on the outside. The numbness wore off by the time I got home so falling asleep was really hard, but I did after about an hour of suffering. Woke up and the pain had subsided. I felt great and can see better than I have ever been able to. 20/15 vision! My eyes are still healing but I am through the worst of it.

I haven't worked out much. I can, but I was a little freaked out at first. I played volleyball last night and just had to keep putting drops in throughout the match. Going to a HIIT cycling class at the gym tonight to get back into the swing of things.

Thank you for the advice on linking my Garmin. I will be doing that tonight too probably. So glad to see so many familiar people returning, and the addition of a few BDAS newbies.

DQ, sounds like you are on the right track. I know it seems daunting, but just focus on the small goals. Eventually they will add up!! Let me know if you want to do another food logging competition. I haven't been tracking at all lately but probably need to.

Juan, I am going to be in your neck of the woods in May! Valencia though, so probably not super close.

Jenn, no good about the pain the other day! I hope it goes away soon. Way to listen to your body though and stop.

Gretchen, the finger thing does sound like a quirk. Probably just a circulation issue. When you run, are you hands closed into fists or relaxed? Try keeping your hands relaxed. You might have to think about it if you don't already. Just shake them out if you notice them getting tense. This might have nothing to do with it, but worth a try!

So glad to hear LASIK went well!! I had mine done in 2014 ( I think!) and I love it, but SOOOO many people have told me horror stories since I had it done that I am not sure I'd risk it again!

2017-01-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I had an MRI on my lumbar spine last week and  met with my spine surgeon this morning.  We reviewed the results and I've got a bunch of stuff going on from L3 down to S1, but the worst stuff is a herniated disc at L4/L5 and a pretty big bulge at L5/S1, plus some disc degeneration from L3 down and some bone spurs here are there.  This has been going on for 5 years but we've seen additional issues show up since my last MRI back in April 2015.

So at least we know what we're up against.  I've tried all of the conservative treatments:  PT, rest, medication, injections, yoga, etc over the past several years and I've been somewhere between 90% (just some occasional soreness that could be managed) and 10% (like I am now, severe nerve pain).  I went through about two years from fall 2012 to fall 2014 where I had it really well managed and even ran about 700 miles in 2014, but it's been going downhill since.

There are two surgical options and my spine doc spent a long time talking to me today about them:  lumbar decompression, and then lumbar decompression with fusion.  He said I'm about smack in the middle between the two as to what he would recommend, and he could make an intelligent argument for either. 

After careful consideration (I've been researching this stuff for months...) we're going to go with the more conservative "nip and tuck" decompression vs the "rip the spine out" fusion surgery, even though long-term the fusion might provide the best results.  The recovery is considerably easier from the first one, and if it doesn't work we can always do the fusion down the road if I can tolerate (mentally) an additional surgery.  He really went back and forth on what to recommend, and eventually landed on what he would do himself (we have pretty similar age/activity/health profiles).

Doc thinks I should see significant relief from the nerve pain, but I'll still have some of the soreness that presents from the "bone on bone" problems.  Those are much more easily treated conservatively (and tolerated, for that matter, from my perspective).

Surgery is two-level disc decompression.  It's an outpatient surgery (hell, aren't they all now LOL?).  I'll come home the same day with reduced activity for the first month until all the surgery inflammation dies down, the sutures heal, etc.. I'm taking a couple of days off work but it shouldn't be an issue since I work from home.  I think I'll be able to cycle pretty quickly and swim pretty soon, too.  Running will probably depend on how well the surgery goes, but probably like 3 months and a slow build up.

Surgery is the 25th.  I'm actually looking forward to it. 

2017-01-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I had an MRI on my lumbar spine last week and  met with my spine surgeon this morning.  We reviewed the results and I've got a bunch of stuff going on from L3 down to S1, but the worst stuff is a herniated disc at L4/L5 and a pretty big bulge at L5/S1, plus some disc degeneration from L3 down and some bone spurs here are there.  This has been going on for 5 years but we've seen additional issues show up since my last MRI back in April 2015.

So at least we know what we're up against.  I've tried all of the conservative treatments:  PT, rest, medication, injections, yoga, etc over the past several years and I've been somewhere between 90% (just some occasional soreness that could be managed) and 10% (like I am now, severe nerve pain).  I went through about two years from fall 2012 to fall 2014 where I had it really well managed and even ran about 700 miles in 2014, but it's been going downhill since.

There are two surgical options and my spine doc spent a long time talking to me today about them:  lumbar decompression, and then lumbar decompression with fusion.  He said I'm about smack in the middle between the two as to what he would recommend, and he could make an intelligent argument for either. 

After careful consideration (I've been researching this stuff for months...) we're going to go with the more conservative "nip and tuck" decompression vs the "rip the spine out" fusion surgery, even though long-term the fusion might provide the best results.  The recovery is considerably easier from the first one, and if it doesn't work we can always do the fusion down the road if I can tolerate (mentally) an additional surgery.  He really went back and forth on what to recommend, and eventually landed on what he would do himself (we have pretty similar age/activity/health profiles).

Doc thinks I should see significant relief from the nerve pain, but I'll still have some of the soreness that presents from the "bone on bone" problems.  Those are much more easily treated conservatively (and tolerated, for that matter, from my perspective).

Surgery is two-level disc decompression.  It's an outpatient surgery (hell, aren't they all now LOL?).  I'll come home the same day with reduced activity for the first month until all the surgery inflammation dies down, the sutures heal, etc.. I'm taking a couple of days off work but it shouldn't be an issue since I work from home.  I think I'll be able to cycle pretty quickly and swim pretty soon, too.  Running will probably depend on how well the surgery goes, but probably like 3 months and a slow build up.

Surgery is the 25th.  I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Wow!! Glad to hear you have a plan and hoping it goes well!
2017-01-10 2:55 PM
in reply to: #5209499

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy, or just dedicated. Running into 30mph headwinds this afternoon was one of those times. Three miles in the books with the pup, who had trouble running in a straight line when there were cross winds. It would have been funny, if she didn't keep cutting me off!!
2017-01-10 3:41 PM

User image

, California
Sorry, I just realized with new members it would be helpful if I posted my bio again. Lots to catch up on in here, great activity!

NAME: Matt

STORY: I'm 38 years old, originally from New Jersey, and living in Southern California currently. I just returned from living in Singapore for two years. I never had much of an athletic background, a little bit of football and track until early high school. I was a US Marine and so by default was fit for a while, but really let myself slip after getting into civilian life. I spent the better part of 12 years never doing exercise, smoking a pack a day, and drinking a bunch. I quit smoking in October 2014, and started running in April 2015. I had always been fascinated by triathlon, but ignorantly thought that "Ironman" was synonymous with "triathlon" and therefore out of my reach. When the South East Asia Games came to Singapore in 2015 I read about the Olympic Distance Tri and that led me to learn about all the distances. Once I knew a Sprint existed I knew I could do it. I hadn't biked since I was twelve probably, and though comfortable in the water I never knew a proper stroke. I purchased a used, banged up hybrid bike to see if I liked this tri stuff, and took some tips from swimmers to get some semblance of a stroke, I completed my first Sprint Tri in August 2015 and was hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 12+ years. Two boys aged 8 and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently in the “off-season” portion of my training plan. This includes a lot of swimming while doing just enough cycling and running to not forget how. I have also just started increasing strength training and yoga in order to get my body ahead of the rigors of the season ahead. 24-week Ironman training plan begins officially on Feb 13th.

2016 RACES: Sprint Tri in April in Singapore, Sprint Tri in November in California. The move back to the States came out of nowhere and wreaked havoc with my 2016 plan. I was scheduled to complete a Sprint in April which I did, Olympics in May and July, and a Half Ironman in August. It wasn’t to be though, but I at least fit in enough training to close the season on a high note in the fall.

The Plan for 2017: My big goal for 2017 is Ironman Santa Rosa on 7.29.17.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Beer used to be my one and only alcohol. But at $60 Singapore Dollar for a 6-pack of good craft beer here, I had to adjust. When I can afford it I still love either a Stout or a good IPA depending on mood. But I've recently turned to whisky, especially bourbon. My favorite bourbon right now is Basil Hayden's or Knob Creek.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 5'8'' and have always been on the smaller side. So when I found myself up at a high of 185 a couple years ago I knew I had to stop. I got down to about 175 through just better awareness and eating habits, and then in 2015 when I really started exercising i got down to 154. I’m back to mid 160’s now, but not concerned with the training block ahead I’ll be in the 150’s again in no time.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I know my booze and am quickly learning my Tri.
2017-01-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: #5209830

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back, Matt!!

2017-01-10 5:57 PM

User image

Expert

SO glad to hear that your procedure went well!
2017-01-10 6:00 PM

User image

Expert

Nice job on the swim - thats a good distance!

So what did you think of the outcome of the game?
2017-01-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Welcome back Matt - this was my favorite line from your post!

Originally posted by Tavo2311

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I know my booze and am quickly learning my Tri.

2017-01-10 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
I deserve a CLP for missing my workout today. I got totally stressed out of about subbing in severe and profound classroom tomorrow as part of my subbing. I have no idea what I'll be forced to tackle as past of my responsibilities and I don't like the unknown. As part of my penalty - I'll have a seltzer instead of a beer. is that fair?

IN other news - anyone watch the series Man in the High Castle on Amazon. It's incredible!

DQ
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39349 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.