BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-12 7:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Got in a 45 minute trainer ride in Z2 (OK - I'm out of shape so maybe a little Z3 in there ) and then swam 1400 and did some core work last evening.

Back felt pretty good during the ride, flared up after about 1K in the pool (so I cut it a little short of the 1600 I had planned) and wasn't too happy with the core work.  But the good news is that it calmed down afterwards, which I've had a real problem with it not lately.

Maybe all this talk of surgery is scaring my back a little.  LOL

I have my pre-op physical today...can't wait to see what that scale says. NOT!!!!!!! 

2017-01-12 8:10 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Morning BDAS!

I'm subbing this morning at the local high school, which starts at 7am. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my morning workout in so I'm gonna have to find some time this afternoon to get in a swim.

Do you older BDASers remember Charles - he;s coming into town for the weekend - it should be a good time!

High school starting at 7am?!?!?! That is just inhumane!!
2017-01-12 8:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Hook'em

With my current run fitness, the runs are going to be horrible for a while - more horrible than normal.  The sooner I get through the grueling first few weeks, the better off I'll be.  

I am so right there with you. Today I walked for 15 minutes on a treadmill - and it sucked. I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the gym and I got winded - and it sucked! I rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes and it wasn't fun. Hard to believe I ran 15 miles last February and I'm so out of shape now. So yes - i couldn't agree with you more.

Yes, but you did it.  And that's all that matters.  Tomorrow or the next day should be a little easier, or maybe it won't.  But keep putting drops in the bucket and it will get full again.

x2 (or, really, x1,000,000,000)
You have to forget where you were and work from where you are now. We all have setbacks along the way. The important thing is that you are moving forward now.
2017-01-12 8:19 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Awesome swim practice this morning with masters. Coach has colonoscopy this morning, so he gave us a long, hard set and left us to our own devices. 2800yds, which for the slow lane is unheard of! Really enjoyed it. Out of the pool and I realized I forgot my breakfast. Being on Whole30 makes this a much more disastrous mistake than usual. Nothing I can drive thru would be compliant. Scrounged a meal of things I've brought to work, but not eaten in the last week. Breakfast of champions here: hard boiled egg (gag, I hate these plain), veggies with homemade ranch dip, apple. If I'm still hungry later, I have some roasted butternut squash soup. If Whole30 has taught me anything, it is that there is no such thing as a "breakfast food".

What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? I have a 10mi run and swim to do on either Friday or Saturday (they can be flipped). We are scheduled to get freezing rain tomorrow, so I'm not sure what will get done when, but it will get done!
2017-01-12 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Awesome swim practice this morning with masters. Coach has colonoscopy this morning, so he gave us a long, hard set and left us to our own devices. 2800yds, which for the slow lane is unheard of! Really enjoyed it. Out of the pool and I realized I forgot my breakfast. Being on Whole30 makes this a much more disastrous mistake than usual. Nothing I can drive thru would be compliant. Scrounged a meal of things I've brought to work, but not eaten in the last week. Breakfast of champions here: hard boiled egg (gag, I hate these plain), veggies with homemade ranch dip, apple. If I'm still hungry later, I have some roasted butternut squash soup. If Whole30 has taught me anything, it is that there is no such thing as a "breakfast food". What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? I have a 10mi run and swim to do on either Friday or Saturday (they can be flipped). We are scheduled to get freezing rain tomorrow, so I'm not sure what will get done when, but it will get done!

For whatever childish reason, that just made me laugh.

2017-01-12 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove Awesome swim practice this morning with masters. Coach has colonoscopy this morning, so he gave us a long, hard set and left us to our own devices. 2800yds, which for the slow lane is unheard of! Really enjoyed it. Out of the pool and I realized I forgot my breakfast. Being on Whole30 makes this a much more disastrous mistake than usual. Nothing I can drive thru would be compliant. Scrounged a meal of things I've brought to work, but not eaten in the last week. Breakfast of champions here: hard boiled egg (gag, I hate these plain), veggies with homemade ranch dip, apple. If I'm still hungry later, I have some roasted butternut squash soup. If Whole30 has taught me anything, it is that there is no such thing as a "breakfast food". What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? I have a 10mi run and swim to do on either Friday or Saturday (they can be flipped). We are scheduled to get freezing rain tomorrow, so I'm not sure what will get done when, but it will get done!

Hard swims are the best - once their done.  I was sweating for 15 minutes after taking a shower yesterday - from swimming.  Tough coach yesterday and I was the only one there - no way to slack off.

When I look to drop weight, my go to breakfast is two hard boiled eggs and half a grapefruit.

I expect to do at least one more training ride.  In the past, I've started new shows (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) while on the trainer.  I don't allow myself to watch the next episode unless I'm on the bike - which is very effective.  Last night I started watching Mad Men - 89 episodes to go.  

Edited by Hook'em 2017-01-12 10:18 AM

2017-01-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hard swims are the best - once their done.  I was sweating for 15 minutes after taking a shower yesterday - from swimming.  Tough coach yesterday and I was the only one there - no way to slack off.

When I look to drop weight, my go to breakfast is two hard boiled eggs and half a grapefruit.

I expect to do at least one more training ride.  In the past, I've started new shows (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) while on the trainer.  I don't allow myself to watch the next episode unless I'm on the bike - which is very effective.  Last night I started watching Mad Men - 89 episodes to go.  

Good choices on TV shows!  I've watched all of those (well, I gave up half way through TWD because it got stupid, but I heard it's gotten better, so I may pick it back up at some point).  I do the same thing -- only watch TV when I'm on the trainer or treadmill.  It makes indoor sessions so much more manageable, and even motivating.  I'm currently watching The Wire.

Another good trainer/treadmill binge watching thing is triathlonlive.tv -- it's a paid subscription (but cheap) and you get all of the ITU WTS racing (current season and many past seasons), plus some bonus racing.  I'm excitedly waiting for ITU racing to resume

2017-01-12 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

With my current run fitness, the runs are going to be horrible for a while - more horrible than normal.  The sooner I get through the grueling first few weeks, the better off I'll be.  

I am so right there with you. Today I walked for 15 minutes on a treadmill - and it sucked. I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the gym and I got winded - and it sucked! I rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes and it wasn't fun. Hard to believe I ran 15 miles last February and I'm so out of shape now. So yes - i couldn't agree with you more.

Yes, but you did it.  And that's all that matters.  Tomorrow or the next day should be a little easier, or maybe it won't.  But keep putting drops in the bucket and it will get full again.

x2 (or, really, x1,000,000,000)
You have to forget where you were and work from where you are now. We all have setbacks along the way. The important thing is that you are moving forward now.

x3

Gretchen is 100% right. Where you were doesn't matter. You can only focus on where you are today, and making improvements on that. I'm in exactly the same boat, unfortunately I've had to start from scratch more than once. You can't compare yourself now to yourself at your peak. You need to focus on the gains you're making now.

On the plus side, getting fit again is fun. And you'll see big improvements quickly.
2017-01-12 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Maybe all this talk of surgery is scaring my back a little.

I've just got to say, doing any training with upcoming back surgery is pretty darn impressive.

Makes any excuses I might have seem pretty weak.

Awesome job.
2017-01-12 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? I have a 10mi run and swim to do on either Friday or Saturday (they can be flipped). We are scheduled to get freezing rain tomorrow, so I'm not sure what will get done when, but it will get done!

I'm running tonight, and then a couple of rides on the weekend. Nothing huge as I'm still in post half ironman mode, 2 hours on Saturday, and an easy hour ride on Sunday.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2017-01-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Gah!!! Long run aborted twice today already! First at 5am when I realized the roads were a little slick and I didn't want to be out on them in case someone lost control of their car. Then later I tried to go to the gym to run on the track and I couldn't get the ice cleared off my car. It was raining and freezing faster than I could scrape it off. So, I've given up. I'm about to get on the trainer for a while and call that good for the day. Long run will hopefully get done tomorrow (I can take my wife's car, it sits in the garage!). Gonna give the dog a bath too, which should count as strength training! Wrestling a 60lbs, wet, ticked off pit bull is hard work!!

2017-01-13 12:52 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Whew! Finally got caught up with all the new BDAS posts. Great start to the year, everyone! My goal for BDAS this year is to keep up with the group discussion. I burned myself out a bit last year with all the HM's so I'm going to focus on adding back in fun activities while keeping my fitness level up.

NAME: Mark

STORY:  I started the path down recreational endurance sports after having surgery on my foot and realizing that "running wasn't so bad". Going from couch to 5k, 10k, sprint triathlon, half marathon, and olympic triathlon!

CURRENT TRAINING: Mixture of running (on and off road), some biking as I can.

2016 RACES:  A whopping 8 half marathons (two of which were off-road), a sprint triathlon, and an olympic triathlon.

The Plan for 2017: Taking a step back from "lots and lots of races" to focus on one giant challenge: Full marathon distance trail run.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hoppy (balanced hoppy,  not just super hoppy), pales and IPA's. I've also recently expanded into stouts. Being local to one of the nations best craft breweries (Firestone Walker) has me spoiled a bit.

WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop about 10 pounds that I put on at the end of 2016.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack, beer appreciating, recreational endurance athlete. This will be my fourth year of BDAS and I can contribute tips and advice from the "average guy" perspective and help those coming "from the couch".

2017-01-13 1:01 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Maybe all this talk of surgery is scaring my back a little.
I've just got to say, doing any training with upcoming back surgery is pretty darn impressive. Makes any excuses I might have seem pretty weak. Awesome job.

Thanks!  It's a bit of "pre-hab" and a bit of sanity-keeping.

2017-01-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MOlsen

Whew! Finally got caught up with all the new BDAS posts. Great start to the year, everyone! My goal for BDAS this year is to keep up with the group discussion. I burned myself out a bit last year with all the HM's so I'm going to focus on adding back in fun activities while keeping my fitness level up.

NAME: Mark

STORY:  I started the path down recreational endurance sports after having surgery on my foot and realizing that "running wasn't so bad". Going from couch to 5k, 10k, sprint triathlon, half marathon, and olympic triathlon!

CURRENT TRAINING: Mixture of running (on and off road), some biking as I can.

2016 RACES:  A whopping 8 half marathons (two of which were off-road), a sprint triathlon, and an olympic triathlon.

The Plan for 2017: Taking a step back from "lots and lots of races" to focus on one giant challenge: Full marathon distance trail run.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hoppy (balanced hoppy,  not just super hoppy), pales and IPA's. I've also recently expanded into stouts. Being local to one of the nations best craft breweries (Firestone Walker) has me spoiled a bit.

WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop about 10 pounds that I put on at the end of 2016.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack, beer appreciating, recreational endurance athlete. This will be my fourth year of BDAS and I can contribute tips and advice from the "average guy" perspective and help those coming "from the couch".

That's in the BDAS wheelhouse! 

And yes you read that right...Mark did eight (!!!) half marathons last year.

2017-01-13 1:27 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove Gah!!! Long run aborted twice today already! 
You've aborted more runs today, than I've attempted all week.

I have stayed consistent with swimming over the past couple weeks and am getting back into the grove of cycling.

2017-01-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #5210125

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Freezing rain again this morning, so in a little while I am off to the gym to run 70 laps around the track (10 miles). This week I'm trying apple cider as fuel. I do better on runs with liquid fuel, so here's hoping it is better than last week's potato fiasco!

2017-01-14 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Freezing rain again this morning, so in a little while I am off to the gym to run 70 laps around the track (10 miles). This week I'm trying apple cider as fuel. I do better on runs with liquid fuel, so here's hoping it is better than last week's potato fiasco!

I'm the same way...I can't take in solid food when running.  Biking is OK with pretzels or something light like that, but pretty much Gatorade only on the run.

10 miles indoors - that is FIERCE!!!! 

2017-01-14 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in an hour on the trainer this morning -  should have been Z2 with a little tempo in there but RPE and HR wise it would up being more like a threshold ride.  I am SO out of shape - I should probably drop my FTP some, especially given I'll be off the bike anywhere from 2-6 weeks.  Back held up OK on the bike, but got a little fidgety the last 8-9 minutes or so. 

Yesterday was an off day because my back flared up pretty good. 

2017-01-14 10:23 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Freezing rain again this morning, so in a little while I am off to the gym to run 70 laps around the track (10 miles). This week I'm trying apple cider as fuel. I do better on runs with liquid fuel, so here's hoping it is better than last week's potato fiasco!

Wow Gretchen, 70 laps! Your determination is impressive, I even try to avoid races where the bike is 2 laps!

Bullfrog, welcome and happy to have you onboard, and happier not the be the only outlier here (geographically speaking). Never been to your country but would love to, all that went came back willing to move over. Closest was Australia -will go again this year-. Agree with Jenn, parenthood is fantastic, but I would also plan any races be-fo-re the child comes

Nicole 1, looking forward to your trip to Valencia! That´s were my head office is, and not too far from Madrid, so when the time gets closer, it would be great if we could have a beer/wine together, or even go for a run! Now, with your new eyes, you will enjoy the visit much more, it is a great time of the year to come. If you need anything or tips, please let me know.

Nicole 2, thanks for the suggestion of thriathlonlive.com, I checked it out and ready to buy it - seems a great motivation for the trainer sessions.

Mike, only 10 days and your back will be brand new - hope all goes well. Keep you mind and body busy, surgery will be even easier.

Dough, agree that these first runs are kind of terrible: after one and a half month, I am slowly starting not to get any faster but at least to feel more comfortable with 1h runs.

Dave, new year, new resolutions: from here you can get only better!

2 hour bike ride this morning, at the end pain in my legs but happy to be on the bike -and not on the rollers-, cold day but sunny, and enjoying my new bike, it is the first time I have a bike of my proper size -previous one small size-, make the ride much more stable and comfortable.

Juan
2017-01-14 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Had a two hour ride on the trainer toady -- 4x18' @ 80%, low cadence work.  I did this same ride last week with cadences of 70/65/60/55 and found the 55 to be incredibly challenging....wasn't sure if it was due to the accumulated fatigue or if 55 is just a bit out of my comfort zone, so my coach suggested doing the cadence progression in the opposite order.  I did it and while the 55 was a bit challenging, it was certainly manageable, and the 70 felt more natural, but my legs were tired.  So I think it's more about cumulative fatigue than anything.  I'm not quite ready to hold 80% for 2.5 hours, but hoping I'll be there by April for my first race of the year!

Unfortunately, I'm at work today.  Things have been rough for almost two weeks here, so I've been working a lot of hours and feeling a lot of stress.  Hoping to meet a friend for a couple beers tonight -- one of the local breweries near my house is tapping a cask of a double dry hopped IPA.  And next weekend is a barrel fest with 30 different barrel-aged beers.  I bought tickets and rented a place to stay....planning to bring my bike and ride in the morning (on the IMTX course), followed by beer consumption in the afternoon....assuming work doesn't interfere.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  Glad to read about the swimming, biking, and running everyone is doing (even when we get stuck doing it on the trainer or 70 laps on an indoor track!)!

2017-01-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Had a two hour ride on the trainer toady -- 4x18' @ 80%, low cadence work.  I did this same ride last week with cadences of 70/65/60/55 and found the 55 to be incredibly challenging....wasn't sure if it was due to the accumulated fatigue or if 55 is just a bit out of my comfort zone, so my coach suggested doing the cadence progression in the opposite order.  I did it and while the 55 was a bit challenging, it was certainly manageable, and the 70 felt more natural, but my legs were tired.  So I think it's more about cumulative fatigue than anything.  I'm not quite ready to hold 80% for 2.5 hours, but hoping I'll be there by April for my first race of the year!

Unfortunately, I'm at work today.  Things have been rough for almost two weeks here, so I've been working a lot of hours and feeling a lot of stress.  Hoping to meet a friend for a couple beers tonight -- one of the local breweries near my house is tapping a cask of a double dry hopped IPA.  And next weekend is a barrel fest with 30 different barrel-aged beers.  I bought tickets and rented a place to stay....planning to bring my bike and ride in the morning (on the IMTX course), followed by beer consumption in the afternoon....assuming work doesn't interfere.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  Glad to read about the swimming, biking, and running everyone is doing (even when we get stuck doing it on the trainer or 70 laps on an indoor track!)!

[/QUOTE

Nicole - I love how you plan ahead. Sorry for forgetting but is IMTX on your schedule this year. Either way I'm looking forward to a beer report! Please keep passing on recommendations from your coach. I love learning new ideas. I dpn't need low cadence work now - I'm just putting in the time - but there will come a day when I'll be back in business.

2017-01-14 4:54 PM

User image

Expert

Got in an hour on the trainer this morning -  should have been Z2 with a little tempo in there but RPE and HR wise it would up being more like a threshold ride.  I am SO out of shape - I should probably drop my FTP some, especially given I'll be off the bike anywhere from 2-6 weeks.  Back held up OK on the bike, but got a little fidgety the last 8-9 minutes or so. 

Yesterday was an off day because my back flared up pretty good. 

I feel your pain - out of shape and a bad back. Way to get after it!
2017-01-14 4:58 PM

User image

Expert

Nice work. 70 laps. Wow!

A suggestion for you - what about trying apple sauce instead of juice. I'm guessing there might be less sugar in apple sauce then juice. I've used apple sauce as pre race nutrition for years.

What do other people think.
2017-01-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

IMTX is not on my race schedule.  I am doing Galveston 70.3 though.  The area where I live is pancake flat, so if I want a change of scenery, I tend to go up to the IMTX course area to get some rolling hills.  If I want real hills, I have to drive a few hours west....which works out nicely because it's wine country

Unfortunately, by the time I got out of work and over to the bar, the cask double dry hopped beer was gone.  Still enjoyed a flight (two goses, two IPA's, and two Belgians) and a pint of a stout.

Double run on the schedule today....knocked out 40 minutes before coming into work and have another 30 minutes tonight.  Will also be doing some meal prep work when I get home.  I've been trying to prepare meals for the week so I don't have to do it during the week.  It's been working out really nicely and my weight is back to where I want it to be without feeling hungry or deprived!

2017-01-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
One hour run, doing well on flats, suffering -too much- on the hills - need to work a LOT on this.

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39298 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.