BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-16 5:33 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by Tavo2311 

Welcome back Mark. So what's on tap for 2017? Have you chosen the full marathon trail run specifically yet, or is that a general goal of which you are choosing a specific race?

I'm signed up for the full distance of a race I did last year, the "SLO Ultra in Wild Cherry Canyon". The terrain is very hilly and challenging with the 26m course going deeper into the property than the 13m course. It's private land so the only time to hike it is during this event.

This weekend I did a short 4 mile trail hike/run, exploring the trails in the hills behind my house. Such beautiful and rugged terrain that is so close yet I never really explored it much. With all the rains that hit us recently the hills are getting nice and green after years of drought however the trail was a bit soggy in places.

2017-01-16 7:07 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Today was my test day, tomorrow is 4.5 running and a pool workout. Debating on swimming for distance or doing swim speed workouts twice a week and a third long swim if I have time, although swim speed workouts are pretty long anyway.

on my phone now but when I can get to a computer I'll post what two BDAS guys do when they travel to WDW and a race gets canceled.
2017-01-16 8:36 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
wow, lots going on here since my last post.

I had a reasonable weekend, a half hour run on Friday, followed by an hour and a half ride both Saturday and Sunday. I had planned 1 longer ride and one shorter one, but my riding buddy's knee started to play up midway through the ride, so we had to cut that short.

Overall, 3 runs, and 3 rides for the week ,a total of about 5 hours. And feeling fully recovered from the HIM last weekend, ready to go for a big week of Ironman prep.
2017-01-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

It's time for our weekly goals. Remember - the hit the QUOTE button (not the reply to post yours).

DQ's Goals: 1) Work out for at least 20 minutes 6 days this week. That's two hours minimum. 2) Lose 2 pounds. 3) Schedule a PT appointment. 4) Support my fellow BDASers! You guys rock!

I'll throw out some weekly goals.

Goal 1, 10 hours or more total training time for the week
Goal 2, Long ride of 90km+
Goal 3, at least 3 swims, 4-5 runs and 3 bikes this week
Goal 4, weigh in less next monday than this monday
2017-01-16 9:13 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
As promised

NAME: John aka firebert (homestar runner reference, which is about as obscure as this internet geek gets)

STORY: 42 years old, 5'10" 177 (at the moment). Long time runner - ran in high school, took a break until age 30, and then started again with the 5ks. Every single season I'd get hurt at some point. First the shins, then the knees, then the hips - it was something every year that would take me out of contention. Loved cycling as a kid and always wanted to get into road riding anyway. My NCAA swimmer/experienced triathlete wife talked me into triathlon. All I needed to do was learn to swim. Started on an older Trek carbon road bike, and just this past Friday bought a proper aero bike - new sold as used 2013 Felt AR3. The deal was too good to pass up. The bike was in the shop's rental fleet, only it never saw grease on the chain or had the protective film stickers removed

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a triathlete for 8 years now, we have a nearly 7 year old daughter who wants to run like mommy and daddy and probably swims freestyle better than I do.

CURRENT TRAINING: I NEED A PLAN!! Right now I'm parlaying my Dopey Challenge training into a Half Marathon in March, a repeat of the first one I did last year to see if I can improve my time. I'm starting the plan at Week 6 of the 15 week plan. The distance is not a concern. I have run 275+ miles since October in the process of training for the Dopey Also doing HIIT strength training once a week.

2016 RACES: Two sprints in 2015 was my first year in Tri. In 2016 I did a duathlon, a sprint, and a 'long' sprint (.5 mi swim instead of my usual .25, and 4.3 mi run). I'm still strongest and most accomplished at the run - 2016 saw me make the leap to the HM distance in March, and just over a week ago I did the Dopey Challenge at Disney (5k, 10k, HM, Marathon over 4 days - except the HM got cancelled....). That was my first marathon. I've solved 90% of my running injury issues and am absolutely psyched for this!!

The Plan for 2017: I need a plan. Right now I have a dream. See, my wife did IMNC 70.3 last October. She trained to the letter for that - 6-7 days a week, at least 3 days with doubles. Once she was done with the race, she said she was taking a minimum 6 months off training, maybe do one sprint in 2017. In a two triathlete household, this is gold for me - MORE TIME FOR TRAINING. I haven't made a plan yet though.

Ideally, I have this HM in March, then will actually work my way down to 10k and 5ks through April and just into June. I'll do the Season Opener Duathlon I did last year with a couple BDASers, a sprint or two, all while working my way up to an Olympic in September. Now, my weakest event is the swim. Not just that I am slow (I am painfully slow), but I have no swim endurance. Last year I pulled that .5 mi swim sprint off (2:20/100yd pace!) by the skin of my teeth. From there it will be my second marathon in October, and hopefully Dopey Challenge 2018 first week of January. I wanted to do the Dopey once in my life, and I feel like I was robbed of it because of the cancelled HM.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: 1. Beer - prefer the hoppy stuff especially New England style IPAs, but really dig porters and stouts, as well as sour beers. Also have a love for a good European pilsener especially on a hot day. 2. Wine - red. I don't get much more educated than that. Booze - scotch (Lagavulin) and bourbon (Michters).

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm not too far off from where I want to be. When I was injured and not training at all, with a new baby in the house, I hit 200lbs which was my all time high. Once I found triathlon I've been as low as 167 in season. I'm at 177 right now but really not sweating the weight situation - it's going to fluctuate here and there and I'm totally ok with it. My goal isn't so much weight loss as just not putting it back on.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: The same stuff that has (hopefully) made me a good BDAS member for the past two seasons. Some experience, dedication, positive outlook, and I cheer for everyone. Honestly it makes me happy to see people doing something they love and improving themselves physically and mentally in the process.

CHEERS!
2017-01-16 9:48 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

2016 RACES: It was supposed to be a busy year but my lack of drive ended up limiting my to a sprint, a half mary, plus a 5K.

And all three of those were with me! Dave, I have found the key to your consistency. Sign up for whatever I sign up for!!! :LOL:

2017-01-16 10:13 PM
in reply to: #5210434

User image

DeLand, Florida
Nicole- I thought I was the only one who watched ITU on TV! Thanks for the recommendation. I need something to get me through until cycling TV coverage starts. Yeah Tour Down Under starts tomorrow but not on my TV it doesn't
2017-01-17 6:24 AM
in reply to: #5210444

User image

Andrew which full are you doing?

John any plan to do Dopey next year? I'm signing up opens on feb 3 for DVC.

2017-01-17 7:20 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by b2b14

Strongly considering it - this was a bucket list thing for me (both a marathon and the Dopey) and I really feel robbed of the accomplishment on the Dopey since the HM was cancelled. If it was the 5k or 10k maybe I'd be ok but the HM... But hey, at least we had Friday night off for a BDAS meetup:

Attachments
----------------
170106_101309_0[1].jpeg (177KB - 6 downloads)
2017-01-17 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I'm sorry for all the posts today - but I decided to take the time to make a BDAS directory which I have added to my log page. Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.... If I made any mistakes or omissions, please let me know. Let's use it to leave inspires for everyone to cheer them on throughout the week. I think I'll leave a few now

Very nice - thanks for doing that!

2017-01-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert Nicole- I thought I was the only one who watched ITU on TV! Thanks for the recommendation. I need something to get me through until cycling TV coverage starts. Yeah Tour Down Under starts tomorrow but not on my TV it doesn't

I don't watch ITU, but I recorded the entire Tour de France and I watch all 100-ish hours of it over the winter while on the trainer.

2017-01-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I spent this weekend shivering on the couch with most likely a bronchial infection - off to the doctor today. 

I typically get one every year around this time but this one is really bad - fever for three days and my chest really hurts.  No training obviously - just hoping this doesn't impact my procedure next week...I get my blood work tomorrow and I'm going to be my blood counts are a mess right now.

2017-01-17 7:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I spent this weekend shivering on the couch with most likely a bronchial infection - off to the doctor today. 

I typically get one every year around this time but this one is really bad - fever for three days and my chest really hurts.  No training obviously - just hoping this doesn't impact my procedure next week...I get my blood work tomorrow and I'm going to be my blood counts are a mess right now.

Ugh--feel better soon!!
2017-01-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Good choices on TV shows!  I've watched all of those (well, I gave up half way through TWD because it got stupid, but I heard it's gotten better, so I may pick it back up at some point).  I do the same thing -- only watch TV when I'm on the trainer or treadmill.  It makes indoor sessions so much more manageable, and even motivating.  I'm currently watching The Wire.

Another good trainer/treadmill binge watching thing is triathlonlive.tv -- it's a paid subscription (but cheap) and you get all of the ITU WTS racing (current season and many past seasons), plus some bonus racing.  I'm excitedly waiting for ITU racing to resume

I live The Wire!! j/k, I just live near it and drive through it semi-regularly. I stopped watching after season 3...need to finish the series!

We watched all of the Wire last winter. The first season was great, the second and third were good, the rest were just okay until the last one where you stared to wonder if the writers were high when they wrote the script.
2017-01-17 8:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Masters swim this morning. Much better experience than yesterday's pool party! We did sets of alternating hard 100/easy 50, then ez 100, hard 50. I'm exhausted!!

Goals for the week (I know I'm late):
1.) keep Whole 30 challenge going
2.) get at least one bike in
3.) enjoy the rest week of my HM plan (only 16mi this week, down from 22 last!)
2017-01-17 9:00 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Terrible timing!  I had this one a couple months ago, knocked me out of training for more than a week.  Fingers crossed you'll be on the mend before your surgery.

2017-01-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

2016 RACES: It was supposed to be a busy year but my lack of drive ended up limiting my to a sprint, a half mary, plus a 5K.

And all three of those were with me! Dave, I have found the key to your consistency. Sign up for whatever I sign up for!!! :LOL:

So what are we doing this year?
2017-01-17 10:26 AM

User image

Expert

Feel better soon bud! I'll be praying it doesn't get in the way of your procedure.

2017-01-17 10:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Football: we're basically cheering against teams at this point. Dallas/Green Bay-- eh, don't care either way. KC/Pitt--KC all the way. We cheer against Ben Rothlisberger (sp?) always. We also lived in KC for two years and loved it.

Growing up in Cleveland - I like anyone who roots against the Steelers. You go Gretchen!

I am the same (Ravens fan here), although between Steelers and Patriots, I really wish there was a way they could both lose...
2017-01-17 10:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, that definitely sounds like you're having a rough time. Focus on the positive! And good luck with the job, and hunting for a new home!
2017-01-17 10:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Goals for the week:
1) Be consistent with workouts. Not worried about what I'm doing right now, just want to do something every day.
2) Pushups every morning. That was the challenge from the boot camp I went to last night.
3) Eat as clean as I can. I have chili cooking at home, and bought healthy snacks and such. Meal prepping should get me through the week and hopefully get my body feeling well fueled.

2017-01-17 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by b2b14

I'm going to be doing Ironman New Zealand, first weekend in March. So far too soon.
2017-01-17 2:22 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 So what are we doing this year?

First up - New Bedford Half Marathon March 19th.  That might be too soon for you...  So possible 10k in early April (i'll look it up) and the Season Opener in May?

2017-01-17 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove Football: we're basically cheering against teams at this point. Dallas/Green Bay-- eh, don't care either way. KC/Pitt--KC all the way. We cheer against Ben Rothlisberger (sp?) always. We also lived in KC for two years and loved it.
Growing up in Cleveland - I like anyone who roots against the Steelers. You go Gretchen!
I am the same (Ravens fan here), although between Steelers and Patriots, I really wish there was a way they could both lose...

While my geographical (and marital LOL) allegiance is all Ravens and therefore includes a hatred for the Steelers, I can't help but hate that cheating, whiny, phony of a franchise known as the Patriots even more.  I'm cheering for Altanta (cause I'm getting tired of the Rodgers deification) and Steelers, and then the Falcons in the SB. 

You New Englanders feel free to spew some hatred my way. 

2017-01-17 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Goals for the week:

1. Hit power targets on all three bike sessions (one of three completed this morning)

2. Stop being lazy and go run outside....treadmill is just so convenient that I haven't actually ran outside since I was in California at the end of December!

3. Keep my diet clean until Saturday's big cheat day -- for the barrel beer fest

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39215 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.